The life of a Tree

Sarafina

So I have been thinking of what everyone said on my "finding your path" post. I stumbled across a post about blood magic. I was working a quick little spell a couple of nights ago and the thought popped into my head about adding my blood to the spell to make it stronger, any ways. In the post a book was mentioned, so I am looking it up and reading some it. In the book the author talks about death and is asking her self question about it. It got me thinking (very quickly) about death and what we witches (well some) believe in reincarnation. I guess this could go for any plant life.

If we look at the life of a tree, it seems it compares to the life or should I say the soul of a person. In the spring the tree starts to bud and it comes to life, much like a new born soul, in the summer it is in full bloom, again much like a soul in adulthood, then in the fall the tree prepares it's self for a slumber shedding it's leaves, like a soul that is preparing for the ending of their journey. Winter the tree is in a slumber, building up it's energy and preparing to bloom again. With a tree it keeps track of it's lives by a ring, much like a memory.

Just something to ponder over I guess. Sometimes I think that there is never a real end to our lessons, maybe we decided when we truly end our growing, but also there are thing that can end it sooner for us, just like a tree being cut down or infected with a disease that kills it.

Anyways, any thoughts on this or add in's?

I'd love to be an Oak or Yew, live forever :)

I understand your point, every thing has a season - isn't there a saying that goes something like 'to every thing a season and a season to every thing"? It's very true. Life cycles are the same for most sentient, living things - they just follow different lengths.

... With a tree it keeps track of it's lives by a ring, much like a memory...

I like that for this time of year. I have been thinking on something similar lately, about memory. Humans tend to think they are a culmination of their consciousness, but I am starting to think they are defined by their memory, not their future conscious choices. 

This is a time of year where death and the dead are a common thought. Someone recently asked me "do you think we live forever, do you think our consciousness goes on?" And I was thinking about that. And talking to the garden. And I was thinking that the energy of a place is the spirit of a place. And this energy of a place is only a memory of all the things that have happened there. So if the spirit of a place is the memory of the place, then I me and my conversations are a part of my garden. And 100 years from now, someone else may sit or wander through this spot, and have questions, or be happy or sad, or need help, and tap into the memories of the conversations I have had here, and know they are not alone in their troubles or happiness, and my memory may join theirs for a while :)

M

I do believe in reincarnation. I believe we are here to learn many, many lessons. It's impossible to learn all of these lessons in a lifetime, which is why I believe we come back again and again until we have learned all of these lessons and then, and only then does our soul go to it's final resting place with it's true soul mate and joins their creator in eternal bliss :sunny:  Which also leads me to believe that your soul mate is not always your boyfriend or girlfriend, husband or wife. I believe it can be anyone or anything(living that is) like a dog or cat, cousin, grandmother ect. That is why there is homosexuality, the soul mate may have come back as another sex. How else can you explain how some people have wonderful,  blessed lives and others live a life of complete hell.  That is a general statement but you get my point? Everybody has shit, it's just to what degree isn't it? Of course I have not figured out the meaning of life by any stretch, but I do believe strongly in this philosophy, it get's me through :smile: . Just my thoughts.

Kera

I do not subscribe to the concept of reincarnation, at least not as an inevitability. The idea that the mosquito I just squashed may have been my soulmate is like a total fucking bummer.

. . .  How else can you explain how some people have wonderful,  blessed lives and others live a life of complete hell.  That is a general statement but you get my point? Everybody has shit, it's just to what degree isn't it? Of course I have not figured out the meaning of life by any stretch, but I do believe strongly in this philosophy, it get's me through :smile: . Just my thoughts.

Kera

Kera,

On the first part, we just have a different beliefs and ideologies, but I am not sure I understand how reincarnations and soulmates relate to having a great life.  Are you saying that people who do not live blessed lives, but are really kind or generous people, are shit out of luck, because they are being punished for some transgression in a previous life?  Or that  really nasty people might still have it good, if in some previous incarnation they were a well-behaved puppy.  To be honest, I really never could wrap my mind around this concept.

On the other hand, I can understand the reference to the tree and the cycle of life, but as was noted, I think one can make that connection to any cycle of life and death.  After all, you live in this world for awhile . . . some shit happens (good shit, bad shit, etc.) . . . then you die.  It is all very neat and convenient like that. 

Jevne

Kera,

On the first part, we just have a different beliefs and ideologies, but I am not sure I understand how reincarnations and soulmates relate to having a great life.  Are you saying that people who do not live blessed lives, but are really kind or generous people, are shit out of luck, because they are being punished for some transgression in a previous life?  Or that  really nasty people might still have it good, if in some previous incarnation they were a well-behaved puppy.  To be honest, I really never could wrap my mind around this concept.

On the other hand, I can understand the reference to the tree and the cycle of life, but as was noted, I think one can make that connection to any cycle of life and death.  After all, you live in this world for awhile . . . some shit happens (good shit, bad shit, etc.) . . . then you die.  It is all very neat and convenient like that. 

Jevne

Hey Jevne! I believe, and this a belief I have just recently in the last couple of years of soul searching came to believe, that these lessons don't always have to do with our soulmate, but when we do get to eternal happiness we will be totally united with our soulmate which is where our soul becomes complete. I am not saying that we cannot experience absolute joy and happiness during our lifetimes, but with joy and happiness comes pain and suffering, where like I stated earlier we all experience different degrees of each. Please don't miss understand, I don't believe that anybody Deserves more pain or joy than the next person, I believe that depends on the particular lesson each person has learned or needs to learn.

And, no soulmates don't have anything to do with trees, but I believe we spend each lifetime either searching or spending with our soulmate in some form or another, mabey some lifetimes we don't connect with them, and the lessons are another part of the cycle. But in the true end we do end up together and our soul becomes whole.

Yes people who are kind or generous that do not lived blessed lives, and I wouldn't say being punished, but I can see how you would look at it that way, and I don't look at it like shit out of luck. They have this, " bad luck", because of some lesson they need to learn in this lifetime. They are not bad people and deserve it, no one is truly bad and no one deserves any form of pain, it's just all part of the cycle. They have probably not learned anything from a previous life, and if they do not learn and change in their currant lifetime, they will be back until they do.

For example, I have an Aunt who, her whole life, from what I've been told about her childhood, and from what I've known of her in my lifetime, has had nothing but pain and suffering. She has horrible addiction problems which has led to many, many bad situations in her life. I  love her like a sister, we actually sort of close in age, anyway, I know she is a kind and gentle person, but that is because I know another side of her that most people do not, because she has done some horrid things, as well as having horrid things happen to her. I have always asked myself, why is she so fucked up, I know she is a good person. It's not just  the last half of her life is like this, she was always a messed up kid to, so like I said, she's been miserable her Entire life. Why would anybody deserve this life? So for me, this whole reincarnation life lesson belief makes sense for me. I don't know mabey it's a coping mechanism, but I find some comfort in it. My Aunt  is still alive, and I really don't see her changing, although miracles can happen, but I'll bet the farm she will be back a few more lifetimes, and God Help Us! Lol, no, I love her but she has such a sad, sad life.

I hope I'm not coming off as if I'm preaching or I think I have the answers to lifes mysteries or anything, these are just my beliefs, well for now at least. :yingyang:  :smile:

I completely disagree with the no one is truly bad and no one deserves any form of pain part . . . but I respect your opinion in regards to the subject at hand.

Best Wishes

Jevne

We're probably getting away from the lives of trees here, lol, but more and more I don't think humans are sent here to learn lessons. Somehow I just am not thinking we're that special.... no more or less special than a daisy or a fly or a tiger or a tree anyway... We're just another part of it all. I think people are born into good or bad lives because it's where they happen to be born. An egg and a sperm put them there. And then what they do with the rest of it is up to them. I think my "soul" is already complete... it's connected to everything else, is a part of the energy of everything else. So there's nothing it needs to be complete, only for me to realize the connection, that I'm part of everything already... that only by being "whole" in life will I be whole in death...

M

I think that nasty people can have good lives because they take what they want and need to make themselves happy and don't give a damn about screwing others over. They are survivors and even if they are nasty, they have a spine and the will to achieve their goal.  Kind people that have little regard for themselves get screwed over because they don't take what they want and need to be happy, they are more likely to sacrifice for themselves and give what they want to others.  They find themselves lacking or value the welfare of others over themselves and they don't pursue what they want. That is why among the rich you will find more nasty survivor types and among the poor you will find more kind hearted, care for others types.    Also, the way society is set up, it reinforces that whole system.  The poor are conditioned to sacrifice for those who need more than them and the rich are conditioned to take more than their share to profit. There are no hard and fast rules for everyone of course and society is changing even in the last few years with more regular people taking on an "I'm special" mentality, but for the most part that is the trend that I've seen.

Basically, people's choices are what determines how shitty, or great their life is. Choices are made based on environmental factors and predisposition to certain personality factors and conditioning.  I feel there are no lessons from high above except those that we believe are there for us sent by those entities that have some stake in our welfare.  Its always been tribes against other tribes for survival.  Why wouldn't it be in the spirit world too where all those dead have gone? Lesson sent from ancestors...ok.  Lessons sent from god(s)...not my thing. 

So I have an issue with "my life is meant to be shit because I have not learned some lesson from said mommy and daddy entity".  That says to me that I am not in control of my life and my choices, and that free will is an illusion and that is bullshit in my eyes.  Only those a the top of the food chain that profit from control of the masses benefit from that type of thinking because it keeps people complacent.  If 8 billion people decided they are in control of their own life, the world would be drastically different and there would not be 8 billion people on this planet; many of whom work to bring resources to the top 1% while living in near slavery conditions. The survival instinct in the majority is suppressed by this type of religious and philosophical indoctrination and has been for thousands of years. I will not subscribe to it. I mean no disrespect to you, but I make the choices that shape my life based on the hand I was dealt and this is something I am passionate about. Survivor or victim of circumstance, that is what it is about. 

We are definitely way off the topic of trees. LMAO!

I think that nasty people can have good lives because they take what they want and need to make themselves happy and don't give a damn about screwing others over. They are survivors and even if they are nasty, they have a spine and the will to achieve their goal.  Kind people that have little regard for themselves get screwed over because they don't take what they want and need to be happy, they are more likely to sacrifice for themselves and give what they want to others.  They find themselves lacking or value the welfare of others over themselves and they don't pursue what they want. 

I agree, and while I also like to consider myself kind/nice, I find no great value to myself or to others if I am a door mat. And I think some people even cultivate the doormat state to feel good about "how much they don't have becuase they do so much for others". And that's a crock of shit. It's great to help others, but there is no honour in being spineless.

And yes, we're way off topic, lol, lol, lol, but sometimes one thing leads to another, and it's all interesting, lol!

M

Everything has a life cycle, including the solar systems and universes. During a life cycle, things happen naturally and things don't happen naturally. A planet can run its "life course" naturally or be hit by a huge asteroid and have its cycle interrupted, or at least drastically changed.  (Google 'water on Mars' and see what scientists are saying about 'former life' on that planet.)

The same goes for "life as we know it" (by the definition scientists use, animals & plants on this Earth). There are life cycles considered "natural" to whatever species but nothing's guaranteed. I view my own life as "nothing's guaranteed". There are good years and there are bad years ... and if I were a tree, my rings would reflect those years by being fatter or narrower. And I could get hit by a bus/cut down by a chain saw tomorrow, drastically shortening my "natural life cycle".

Shit happens.

JMHO.

On the subject of trees, an interesting snippet of information came to mind.  It's a fairly recent discovery too!  But like trees, to tell the age of a lobster (which no one knew how to do before) it's been discovered that if you slice through their eye stalks, they have rings like a tree that tell their age.  Not that it does the lobster any good! And obvsiously isn't a way to tell the age of a live lobster!  But I found it really interesting that trees aren't the only living things to show their age in such a way.

As with trees, I think there is a pattern to everything in all life.  Each of us interprets those patterns according to our own experiences, knowledge and beliefs.  Who's to say which interpretation is the right one?  The patterns are just clues to the great mystery of life.

I think that nasty people can have good lives because they take what they want and need to make themselves happy and don't give a damn about screwing others over. They are survivors and even if they are nasty, they have a spine and the will to achieve their goal.  Kind people that have little regard for themselves get screwed over because they don't take what they want and need to be happy, they are more likely to sacrifice for themselves and give what they want to others.  They find themselves lacking or value the welfare of others over themselves and they don't pursue what they want. That is why among the rich you will find more nasty survivor types and among the poor you will find more kind hearted, care for others types.    Also, the way society is set up, it reinforces that whole system.  The poor are conditioned to sacrifice for those who need more than them and the rich are conditioned to take more than their share to profit. There are no hard and fast rules for everyone of course and society is changing even in the last few years with more regular people taking on an "I'm special" mentality, but for the most part that is the trend that I've seen.

Basically, people's choices are what determines how shitty, or great their life is. Choices are made based on environmental factors and predisposition to certain personality factors and conditioning.  I feel there are no lessons from high above except those that we believe are there for us sent by those entities that have some stake in our welfare.  Its always been tribes against other tribes for survival.  Why wouldn't it be in the spirit world too where all those dead have gone? Lesson sent from ancestors...ok.  Lessons sent from god(s)...not my thing. 

So I have an issue with "my life is meant to be shit because I have not learned some lesson from said mommy and daddy entity".  That says to me that I am not in control of my life and my choices, and that free will is an illusion and that is bullshit in my eyes.  Only those a the top of the food chain that profit from control of the masses benefit from that type of thinking because it keeps people complacent.  If 8 billion people decided they are in control of their own life, the world would be drastically different and there would not be 8 billion people on this planet; many of whom work to bring resources to the top 1% while living in near slavery conditions. The survival instinct in the majority is suppressed by this type of religious and philosophical indoctrination and has been for thousands of years. I will not subscribe to it. I mean no disrespect to you, but I make the choices that shape my life based on the hand I was dealt and this is something I am passionate about. Survivor or victim of circumstance, that is what it is about. 

You are so right. I get crapped on a lot, but it is up to me to stop it. My mom, brothers and sister all take what they want and they have no guilt for hurting others as long as they get what makes them happy. I on the other hand feel the guilt and don't want to hurt someone, so I rather hurt myself. I give, give, and give and the only one hurting is me.

You guys gave me a lot to think about when I wrote my post about finding my path and one thing I did was come up with a To-Do list of things I want to change about myself, so not letting people use me, taking what I need, and not feeling guilty all the time will need to be added to that list.

Now I am not going to go to the extreme and hurt every one to what I want, I will take in moderation.

I also don't really believe in "lessons" to be learned, at a time I did, but when I really thought about it, it just did not make that much sense to me. But this is just my way of thinking and I am not saying someone who does believe in it that they are wrong, because every one has the right to believe what they want. I might question why they believe it, but it's only as a way to understand their thought process more.

As for the rings of life on a tree compared to us, I think the memories we have of past lives is more like our rings of life. It's a way to remember or tell how many lives we have lived. This thought is not set in stone, it was just something that popped into my head at the moment and something I would like to ponder over more to see if there is a connection or if there could be one. Also the rings is not comparing to our life, but rather to our soul or what ever we are when we do not have a body to be in.

MW I like what you said about how good or bad in your life changing the ring. I can find truth in that. Recording your "life" so that when you look back on it, it's a way to say "Ah, yeah that was not such a good one there" or "Oh, I loved that life there".

Everyone is really making some great points and it gives more to think about. So :thankyou:

Archived