Photo
- - - - -

Unwanted Attention

unwanted attention magical supplies spells

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

Disclaimer: I used the search button to find if this topic has already been discussed and didn't find anything so please forgive me if it has.

I have noticed over the years that my magical supplies, books, etc. seem to be a magnet to people. No matter where I have hidden my things, either in plain sight or in a secret place, people seem to gravitate to them, want to handle them and/or ask questions about them.

I eventually placed everything in a closet with a deadbolt lock, but even then I had people asking me what I keep in the closet or why there was a lock on the door. Who does that??? Why the hell would anyone ask anyone what they keep in a closet or why it was locked?

I also noticed that whenever I am working on a spell, always, and I mean ALWAYS, an unexpected person shows up at the door.

It feels like there is some invisible (to me) red, blinking light with an arrow pointing to my magical supplies saying “Public Property. Please Feel Free to Handle” or if I'm doing a spell, one saying “Magical Work Ahead. Please Feel Free to Intrude.”

I'm curious if this is just me or if anyone else here has this happen.

Do you think our magic is like an invisible beacon; something subliminal that draws people to it?

I think our spells and supplies must emit some subtle vibration that naturally draws some people's attention. Seems logical to me considering how we use magic to affect people and circumstances.

Thoughts, anyone?

#2 Moondark

Moondark

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

The same thing happens to me :razz:  I think people are just naturally attracted to magic, no matter how vehemently they deny it. It's the same as being attracted to good food or attractive, potential mates.

#3 Raina

Raina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

I can't really say that this has happened to me, maybe it's because we live in the country and get very few visiitors. The dog, though, whenever I'm doing something wants to be right there.

#4 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

Camouflage, invisibility and forgetting spells work well with this.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#5 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

Camouflage, invisibility and forgetting spells work well with this.

Doh!  I never thought of that.  Thank you!

#6 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

I do not allow people that I do not know and/or do not like into my house.  My family and friends, automatically, know what is acceptable for them to touch and what is not.   Anyone who would be so rude as to "finger" someone else's stuff without their permission needs a basic lesson in manners.  If I simply "please do not touch that" does not work, I would show them the door.  I really don't fuck around, when it comes to my personal belongings. 

#7 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

I can't really say that this has happened to me, maybe it's because we live in the country and get very few visiitors. The dog, though, whenever I'm doing something wants to be right there.

My cats are fascinated, one in particular fancies herself a witch's cat and always tries to join in. I agree that magic has a pull of its own for both people and for animals. Even my laziest tarantula pricks up a bit when I'm working with energy...

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#8 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

Most people will look and I can tell from the expression on their faces that they are wondering, but they don't' usually touch. Often it's just things that look unusual - wood or leaves hanging from the ceiling or in the windows, etc. The only one who really likes to grab-at is my granddaughter, and I have enough things she is allowed to play with that it's not a problem replacing what has caught her attention, although I have noticed she is attracted to a specific species of wood. 

Some people at work have tried to pick up the focal point of necklaces I may wear, but I just hold it and tell them I don't like people touching my jewelry and they stop. But I'm also pretty out at work, so people will usually ask first prior to picking up anything non-work related that's on my desk (and I have a lot of things on my desk). Most at work think I am New Age which is fine by me. It tends to be more accepted and worries people less, lol.

Even my neighbor, if he starts to say something to me then notices I am talking to the tree will stop talking and wave and keep going. He thinks I'm an ex-hippy tree-hugger. Just a little directional push and you can keep it under wraps, yet in plain sight lol...

I used to have a catholic neighbor who asked why I leave out cream and honey. I told her it is for any stray animals becuase god made them too and when you help them you are helping the angels who watch over the garden... she was cool with that and rather taken with the idea. I find it easiest if you are friendly, outgoing and smile and wave a lot to your neighbors. If they like you, they automatically interpret things in a way that allows them to keep liking you. It's understanding and manipulating human nature to see what you want it to see. And, well, fuck me, I really AM a nice person, lol.

M

#9 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the responses.  Yes, I have figued out how to handle the situation, I was just curious if anyone had ever noticed people being attracted to your magical items or workings.

For example, I have a lovely, decorative incense burner that was (oddly enough) given to my mother when she married back in the 50s.  I kept it on a bookshelf, as a decoration, until I needed to use it. Out of ALL the other interesting items on the bookshelf, that would be the ONE thing that I used in my magical workings and that would be the ONE thing that people seemed to be attracted to.  And there are other things like that that I used to try to hide in plain sight around the house.  Now I just keep everything locked up, but the ONE closet where they are locked up is the ONE closet people seem to be curious about.

And if I was doing a spell, I always got a visitor at the door.  Not always stranger, (if i didn't know someone I didn't answer the door anyway), but a friend or relative that I was not expecting at that moment would suddenly decide to show up.  I sort of jokingly thought that I must have had some powerful smelling incense those people could smell at a distance that brought them around. Or, because I'm an early bird, if I decided to do a spell early in the morning before my husband or son were awake, like at 4:00 AM, one of them, who usually wouldn't normally wake up for hours later, would suddenly wake up early and walk through the room.

Anyway, I was just curious.

#10 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

I won't lock up or hide things in my own house. My house is my house and my home, and I am myself in it and I refuse to be someone else in my own house to make other people - who don't pay the bills - happy. If someone comes in here and decides to take a shyte on the floor they will be made to clean it up themselves and then told the rules of my house are you use the toilet and if they can't abide by them they don't come back into the house. Magical items are no different and no more or less personal.

If someone goes to touch something they shouldn't they are told not to. If someone goes looking into my closet they may well be accused of stealing and reap the consequences. Even our society knows better than to open up closets and drawers in houses that aren't theirs. If my child and his family with or without friends comes in (he has a key as does his wife) when I'm meditating, spelling, or even talking to the garden they ignore me and move quietly until I am done. As they have been taught. My ways are not new and not new to them. They would no more run ramshackle through whatever I am doing than they would stomp through the house with a boom box if they came in and found me asleep. It's politeness. IN MY OWN BLOODY HOUSE. No outside, not at their house.. IN MY HOUSE. If people touch your shit tell them not to. If someone knocks on the door don't answer it. If your best friend calls later and says I saw your car but you didn't answer the door, tell him/her you were taking a shyte, having sex, or just doing something personal that didn't bode well with interruption. It's not their business. You don't own them any explanations of what you do in your own house. Better yet, make a rule that people call first before dropping by. You rule your house (or should).

Why does it matter if child or hubby wake up? Tell them if they ever come home or wake up and you are doing xyz to not bother you until you are done. Would they bother you if you were asleep? No. So tell them the rules. If you can't focus with someone else in the room, lock your self in the bathroom. If it's the only bathroom in the house tell them to pee on a tree, lol. Magic and otherworldy interactions, house/garden spirits and the greeting of same... all these are continual parts of my life. I could no more lock them in a closet than become a cow and only be human for 2 hours a day when no one else was looking. 

I've leaned in front of my child and his wife who were on the computer to reach to the windowsill, light the candle and say what is said over it each night. They stopped talking immediately and waited quietly for the few moments it took. Just like most people would know to wait quietly at a friend's dinner table while said friend said grace - even if it wasn't their religion. It's common curtasey (sp). If hubby, children and friends are running over you and who you are, time to take your house back and knock 'em all upside the head with a wooden stick. 

Edited by Michele, 05 October 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#11 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for the responses.  Yes, I have figued out how to handle the situation, I was just curious if anyone had ever noticed people being attracted to your magical items or workings.

For example, I have a lovely, decorative incense burner that was (oddly enough) given to my mother when she married back in the 50s.  I kept it on a bookshelf, as a decoration, until I needed to use it. Out of ALL the other interesting items on the bookshelf, that would be the ONE thing that I used in my magical workings and that would be the ONE thing that people seemed to be attracted to.  And there are other things like that that I used to try to hide in plain sight around the house.  Now I just keep everything locked up, but the ONE closet where they are locked up is the ONE closet people seem to be curious about.

And if I was doing a spell, I always got a visitor at the door.  Not always stranger, (if i didn't know someone I didn't answer the door anyway), but a friend or relative that I was not expecting at that moment would suddenly decide to show up.  I sort of jokingly thought that I must have had some powerful smelling incense those people could smell at a distance that brought them around. Or, because I'm an early bird, if I decided to do a spell early in the morning before my husband or son were awake, like at 4:00 AM, one of them, who usually wouldn't normally wake up for hours later, would suddenly wake up early and walk through the room.

Anyway, I was just curious.

People are curious and attracted to things they may not have seen before and/or like (having seen it for the first time). It's a natural response. But, to pick it up and handle it - perhaps they never learned not to do that unless the owner is first asked.

A lot of people can sense things, even if they don't know they are...so they sense something, and get up. I agree, it is annoying. My wife has the habit of asking something right in the middle of me doing something, lol.

Put a sign on the outside door - 'Witch at work, do not disturb, or else', lol.

Edited by Autumn Moon, 05 October 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#12 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

Thanks everyone.  I've got it under control.  I recently moved over 1000 miles away from all the "curious" people who used to snoop through or handle my things and I now have a special room just for my working where I am not disturbed, so that's not an issue anymore.

I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed other people being specificall attracted to your magical items and working.  I just thought it was odd.

#13 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:03 AM

I just thought it was odd.

Yep.... anything out of the ordinary to .... "  The Ordinaries ".......... is "Extra-Ordinary "....   :D

Regards,

Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#14 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

Yep.... anything out of the ordinary to .... "  The Ordinaries ".......... is "Extra-Ordinary "....   :biggrin:

Regards,

Gypsy

:thumbsup:

#15 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:18 AM

Tonight was the night that we introduced the new baby to the allies. This was done at my child's house and not mine. Consequently, it was done at a tree that was in his front yard. To anyone driving by it would have looked like we were just standing around in the yard talking. But a friend of his pulled into the driveway and got out and walked toward us saying "Hey bro..." And my son just put his finger to his lips and said "shhhhh" and the guy walked quietly up to us and stood next to us and quietly bowed his head and clasped his hands, lol. I guess he assumed we were having a prayer meeting or something.... Anyway, he was quiet and polite until we were done, which is fine by me. Then we all went into the house and he never brought any of it up, lol.

But anyway, it's an example of an intruder who was quite easily kept from intruding in any disruptive way and done without causing a problem or getting upset. We weren't doing magic as in a "spell", we were speaking with allies. But it's the same sort of scenario. And I'm sure they appreciated his politeness, too.

M

Edited by Michele, 08 October 2013 - 02:46 AM.

#16 Kayt

Kayt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:35 AM

I've leaned in front of my child and his wife who were on the computer to reach to the windowsill, light the candle and say what is said over it each night. They stopped talking immediately and waited quietly for the few moments it took. Just like most people would know to wait quietly at a friend's dinner table while said friend said grace - even if it wasn't their religion. It's common curtasey (sp). If hubby, children and friends are running over you and who you are, time to take your house back and knock 'em all upside the head with a wooden stick. 

Much to what Michele is saying...there should be a politeness to your actions and a politeness about your actions. If you tend to do spells during the day when people might stop over, make a "Do Not Disturb" sign for your door. If other adults are living with you, they should know to stop talking or sit quiet for just a few minutes. Set expectations for others AND yourself. And stick to those expectations.

I happen to agree that most people and animals are attracted to magic. But it's up to you to control that attraction to get your things completed.