Tea recipies! Share yours

Athena

I looked and looked but I couldn't find a post about tea?? Maybe I missed it if so please feel free to move this .

I love tea, hot or ice green or black unless its a cheap nasty blend that no self respecting tea drinker would use. I love trying out new blends and I noticed many of you also are tea drinkers so I'm hoping you will share your favorites. I will admit I'm not usually into making ones that require more than 5-6 ingrediants so mine are probably really simple. I also experiment a lot like I'm doing today.

Today's tea marshmellow spice

4 tablespoons marshmellow root

1 stick cinnimon ( I might add more if it need it)

2 whole cloves

In a quart jar add 4 cups filtered water and refrigerate over night strain through cheese cloth make sure to get the gel add 1 tsp vinnilla. Drink cold its very good for sore throats or tummy aches. I will let you know how it tastes tomorrow.

Chai tea

1 ¾ cup organic nonfat dry milk powder

¼ cup powdered sugar

1 ½ cups organic cane sugar or other natural sweetener, to taste

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 teaspoons ground ginger

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1 teaspoon ground cloves

½ teaspoon ground cardamom (optional–this stuff is expensive!)

½ teaspoon white pepper (optional–for a little kick!)

Mix vanilla into sugar and spread on cookie sheet then dry in oven at 150-170 for 7-8 minutes then grind up with mortar and pedestal or in grinder. If your using whole spices they need to e ground pretty fine so they dissolve properly. Combine everything in a large bowl then store in a sealed dark container use 2 tablespoons per cup. Very yummy.

I simply adore tea and have so many recipes here's a yummy Hong Kong style Honey milk tea.

2 Orange-Pekoe tea bags

1 Cup boiling spring water

4 tsp Sweetened condensed milk

3 tsp Honey

ice to chill

Brew the tea nice and strong and let cool add the rest of the ingredients and mix very well. I like to use a Martini shaker to mix it and get it extra cold.and then I pour it over more ice sooo yummy!

I also love a nice big Pitcher of iced green tea with mint and lavender. It was wrm today so my mind is going the cold route

I'm fairly traditional with my tea, hot or cold.  Yet I have added herbs I've grown to seep with my tea.

Funny you create this post on tea, when I got home from work yesterday, I had a package from my # 1 Son,  a mix of things he thought I'd like for my up coming birthday.

In it was a silver bag of tea he and his lovely wife picked up when visiting the San Juan Islands off the coast of Washington State, they toured the farm.

When I turned the corner to enter the dining area of the house, I didn't even see the x x Large envelope, but boy oh boy I could smell Lavender.  This tea is from this farm.

http://www.pelindabalavender.com/

I'm thinking that once I use all the leaf in the bag, I just may hang the bag up in my closet or put it in a drawer, as the fragrance of the Tea is just so incredibly strong and

lovely !   LoL !

Regards,

Gypsy

I make a fresh chai tea that I just LOVE!

1/2 gallon of water brought to a simmer

add to that

2 large chunks of thinly sliced ginger (I slice mine like a Hasselback potato so it's easier to remove later)

5 cinnamon sticks

14 cloves

20-25 popped cardamon pods (when I finish the bag I'm getting them hulled next) about 1 T seeds or 1 1/2 t powdered

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg powder

pinch ground pepper (in the winter to make it even more warming)

Cover and simmer for an hour and then add

1 T green tea (love the gunpowder tea)

1T black tea

steep covered for 3 minutes and strain

1/4 white sugar

1/4 brown sugar (or 2/3 white sugar and some molasses is I'm out)

stir well and add 2 cups of milk.

I drink it hot when I make it and iced till it's finished.

(I get my cardamon from Mountain Rose Herbs in bulk.  It's so much cheaper that way)

A 'calming blend' from my local herb shop:

2 parts alfalfa

1 part spearmint

1 part peppermint

add a teaspoon or 2 to a cup, cover in just off boil water and steep 3-5 minutes

I experiment with tea a lot. I used to run a tea shop at my local Renaissance Faire so I had the means to uh...play around you'd say? lol Below is my favorite recipe I have concocted so far.

Dandelion and Fennel Tisane:

1tsp dried (and preferably roasted) dandelion root

1tsp fennel seeds

Steep in boiling water 3-5 minutes. This is a tisane (herbal tea) but you can steep it with black/green tea if you want a true tea. This can get a bit bitter so I usually flavor it with a little cream and sugar, or honey and lemon. Depends on my mood.

Damn, I feel like a twit when it comes to this post... lolol !

Black Tea of Choice

Dried Borage leaves and dried flowers.

little honey to sweeten.

Seep for 8 minutes

Drink for Courage when facing an obstacle.

Am I doing this right Peers ????  lol !

Regards,

Gypsy

Thank you for the Chai Tea recipes!

I have always seen commercial Chai with Anise.  I simply cannot stand that taste.  It's nice to see a recipe so I can make my own without the Anise.

I looked and looked but I couldn't find a post about tea?? Maybe I missed it if so please feel free to move this .

I love tea, hot or ice green or black unless its a cheap nasty blend that no self respecting tea drinker would use. I love trying out new blends and I noticed many of you also are tea drinkers so I'm hoping you will share your favorites. I will admit I'm not usually into making ones that require more than 5-6 ingrediants so mine are probably really simple. I also experiment a lot like I'm doing today.

Today's tea marshmellow spice

4 tablespoons marshmellow root
1 stick cinnimon ( I might add more if it need it)
2 whole cloves

In a quart jar add 4 cups filtered water and refrigerate over night strain through cheese cloth make sure to get the gel add 1 tsp vinnilla. Drink cold its very good for sore throats or tummy aches. I will let you know how it tastes tomorrow.

Chai tea

1 ¾ cup organic nonfat dry milk powder
¼ cup powdered sugar
1 ½ cups organic cane sugar or other natural sweetener, to taste
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground cardamom (optional–this stuff is expensive!)
½ teaspoon white pepper (optional–for a little kick!)

Mix vanilla into sugar and spread on cookie sheet then dry in oven at 150-170 for 7-8 minutes then grind up with mortar and pedestal or in grinder. If your using whole spices they need to e ground pretty fine so they dissolve properly. Combine everything in a large bowl then store in a sealed dark container use 2 tablespoons per cup. Very yummy.

I make a fresh chai tea that I just LOVE!

1/2 gallon of water brought to a simmer

add to that

2 large chunks of thinly sliced ginger (I slice mine like a Hasselback potato so it's easier to remove later)

5 cinnamon sticks

14 cloves

20-25 popped cardamon pods (when I finish the bag I'm getting them hulled next) about 1 T seeds or 1 1/2 t powdered

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg powder

pinch ground pepper (in the winter to make it even more warming)

Cover and simmer for an hour and then add

1 T green tea (love the gunpowder tea)

1T black tea

steep covered for 3 minutes and strain

1/4 white sugar

1/4 brown sugar (or 2/3 white sugar and some molasses is I'm out)

stir well and add 2 cups of milk.

I drink it hot when I make it and iced till it's finished.

(I get my cardamon from Mountain Rose Herbs in bulk.  It's so much cheaper that way)

I don't like star anise either.  ick.

Its got its uses, star anise is just about the only thing I've found that makes wormwood drinkable. No amount of sugar or honey can reduce the bitter taste of that herb but star anise really masks it.

I had to take some medicine once that was flavored with Anise.  The taste was vile I ended up throwing it up.  To this day anything that even smells like Anise make me nauseated.

:sick:

Russian Tea

This is quick and easy to make.

1 Cup  Sweetened orange flavored instant drink mix

1 Cup  Sweetened lemon flavored instant tea

1 pkg. (.23 oz) Lemonade flavored Koolaid

1 Cup Sugar

2 tsp.  Ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp.  Ground cloves

1/4 tsp.  Allspice

Mix well and store in an air tight container.  (If you use a clear container, you can see where the mix settles in a lovely layered pattern, sort of like sand art.)

Add 2 - 4 spoonfuls per cup of hot water. 

I don't mind star anise but it's not my favorite. I sold a tea just like that in my shop CelticGypsy! We called it "Queen's Tea". It was borage leaves and flowers mixed with Assam tea to make it a true tea. Great for colds, flu and bronchitis. I also make my own mint medley which IMO tastes better than the stuff Bigelow sells, and a chocolate chai that tastes like a York Peppermint Patty;

Mint Medley:

equal parts spearmint, peppermint and meadow mint

Steep 3-5 minutes. Drink without sugar/honey preferably.

York Peppermint Patty Chai:

1/4c water

1 bag mint tea of choice (or 3-6 sprigs of fresh chocolate mint)

1Tbsp sugar + 1tsp

1Tbsp cocoa powder (unsweet)

1c milk

1tsp vanilla

1/2tsp ground cinnamon

1/4tsp ground cardamom

1/8tsp ground nutmeg

1/8tsp ground clove

pinch cayenne pepper (if desired)

tiny pinch of salt

Bring water to a boil, remove from heat. Steep tea bag for 5 minutes covered (the stronger the better!). Remove tea and add sugar and cocoa; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add milk, vanilla, spices and salt. Stir and cook for 5 minutes, but do not boil. Preferably strain the mix before pouring into a mug. Garnish with whipped cream and a sprig of fresh chocolate mint if desired. *I got the idea for this chai tea from gailanng on Food.com

Marshmellow root tea does not taste like marshmallows apparently my 12 year old thought it was going to lol. Its an odd sort of tea its slightly viscous but you don't notice it while your drinking it. The taste was pretty good unless your expecting store bought marshmallow flavor lol. It has a slight woody root flavor that's mellow. I definitely needed to add more cinnamon though So I strained it out and added a full cinnamon stick and let it set another night with the cinnamon and it still isn't really cinnamony but it took away a lot of the woody taste. I think it would be really good warm with whipped cream on top and maybe a few more spices can you tell I'm a chia lover lol.

With all the love that is evident for Chai Tea, this is a great recipe for a Chai Tea Latte, that will make anyone that love Chai Tea fall in love with it.

I make it for affordable holiday gifts & have gotten folks addicted to it..hehee. It is not all natural, or particularly (NOT!!! :vhappywitch: ) healthy, but hey it's a winner in love! ♥

Willau’s Chai Tea

Makes about (4+) - 1 cup / 16 serving packages

2 rounded tsp. per 6oz. Hot water

1 cup- Powdered Dry Milk

1 cup- Dry Non-dairy Creamer

1 cup- Dry French Vanilla Creamer

1 ½ cup- Sugar

1 ½ cup- Instant Tea

2 tsp.- Ginger

2 tsp.- Cinnamon

1 tsp.- Cloves

1 tsp.- Allspice

¾ tsp.- Black Pepper

Combine ingredients with a wisk in large bowl. Process 1 cup of mixture at a time until the consistency of fine powder.

Cardamom is the bane of my existence! I suppose this should be be a warning to me, but I love Chai tea.

I frequented a restaurant that used to crush Cardamom on everything they deemed fancy. I just hated it. Some of my favorite Greek places make Baklava with cardammn and I can taste it right away. Ugh!

Imagine my surprise when years ago I fell in love with chai tea and found out that cardamom was the secret ingredient! I haven't had Chai tea in many years, but have been craving it lately.

I don't think this craving is coming out of no where. I'm nodding my head to whatever is making this relevent to me. :)

Oh, also, I'm quite surprised no one has mentioned the easiest tea... Ginger Tea. I call it "body tea" because it makes my whole body function better. It's really the easiest tea anyone can think of.

Small pan of shallow simmering water

7-8 slices of ginger (doesn't need to be peeled, just washed)

two circles of honey (hold the honey above the pan and drizzle two circles in)

at the last minute, drop in a quarter of a lemon and mash it a bit.

Strain the tea into a nice big mug. It will cure whatever ails you, trust me. It is also very soothing. At all times.

Archived