Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Best Magic Site ever!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#21 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

I read this thread and was confused.  I thought TW was the best magic site ever.  Isn't that why everyone comes here? ;)  

As for that site... I don't think I put that much sugar in my coffee, and I like it sweet.  Doesn't suit my pallet. 

#22 Aurelia

Aurelia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

Hmm seeing as I"m NEW to the Traditional With path I've got my work cut out for me to figure out exactly which Tradition I'm actually on. Honestly thought that this site was legit, and I wouldn't want to use someone elses spells per se, though it gave me ideas. I really really Need some help to find what works for me. I'm that New! I lean towards Celtic and Norse Trads because I feel drawn to my blood roots so to speak. I see no one offering to help me out with any of that. I know this isn't a teaching site but perhpas someone could suggest one that IS?!

I mainly wish to be here to connect, network, if you will, with others on similar if not literally the same paths. I'm looking for resources on the www but it's a lonely search, to me, and I'm not here to tell anyone to Go There, it's just my enthusiasm got in the way and everyone decided to tramp it down without making any alternate suggestions. (seemed that way to me then but now I see by reactions that this is not the case, and how would I know in any case?)

-----

This may not be a teaching site but that doesn't mean you can't learn here. Start by reading through every thread that interests you - there is a weath of information on the forums here, even if not set out in a "first you do this..." teaching method. Discussions and discoveries that members (seekers included!) have here can teach you a lot, maybe not specifically about one set path but by seeing what others are discussing you can find bits of information that are relevant to your path, or of interest and could set you off on a tangent to discover something else that can help you.

The search function at the top of the forums is well worth using!  Also, if you're particularly interested in celtic and norse trads then might I suggest visiting a library and reading every book you can get your hands on :smile: Also used book stores can have some amazing finds! It is only by saturating your mind with information from all different places that you'll be able to wean out what is right for you and what isn't. Some sources may contradict each other, and again it is only by reading a variety that you'll be able to find this out and then you can do independent research on those specific areas to find out which is right (or more specifically, which is right for you).

You won't find a trad site for teaching strangers on the internet. If you do, run away! From what I've discovered over the years (and also for myself), traditional witches share their knowledge with only those they know and trust. If at all! Which makes sense really - from the other side of things, do you really want to be taught by someone you don't know or trust?  If, on your path, you meet someone and become close and they feel comfortable enough to share things with you then that's wonderful! But even then, it doesn't mean that what works for them on their path will be right for you on yours.

Learning comes not only from direct teaching, but from soaking up knowledge that is shared indirectly (through discussions here, for example).  I really encourage you to read all the threads here. When I first joined I basically did nothing else for several days in a row lol! I still go back to some and re-read, and I usually come away with something new each time to get me thinking.

Edited by Aurelia, 04 September 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#23 Theneva

Theneva

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

Ok, thanks for all the supportive comments and such. I am reading as much as I can here and there whatever sparks my interest of course. I'll redirect the rest of my commenting in another forum here! /|\

It is hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head.

~Sally Kempton

Theneva~ Theneu, Thenu, and Denw. The daughter of a Pictish king.

(I believe this over the xtianized name explanation)

#24 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

I mainly wish to be here to connect, network, if you will, with others on similar if not literally the same paths. I'm looking for resources on the www but it's a lonely search, to me, and I'm not here to tell anyone to Go There, it's just my enthusiasm got in the way and everyone decided to tramp it down without making any alternate suggestions. (seemed that way to me then but now I see by reactions that this is not the case, and how would I know in any case?)

Trad witchcraft is by its very nature secretive and that will explain why there is so little public resourcing out there. However I agree that it can be a daunting path to follow alone without a starting point and I don't think you are wrong at all in looking for books, resources and websites to help you on your path. The thing to remember is that all they can ever be is a starting point. A witch who lives her life by a book or a site denies her own individuality and to a sense her own witchiness. Creation, interpretation and the understanding of your own individual power are all key elements of what actually makes you a witch. BUT when you use these kind of resources with an open mind, as inspiration rather than absolution, even the unlikeliest of sites may hold that hidden gem that allows you to build on it to make progress within your craft. I personally wouldn't write anything off as being entirely unhelpful. I've received inspiration in my craft from some very very unlikely areas and I've done so by keeping an open mind and an eye out to what I can learn from others. So I wouldn't feel silly that you've found a website that others haven't found of use. Some of the responses you've had have been from very experienced witches who to be fair probably wouldn't get much out of such a site, they've moved beyond the basics that a starter site can offer. But just starting out? Read anything and everything, decide for yourself what you want to incorporate onto your path. And just as you've been advised not to take a website too literally, don't be too quick to accept the criticism of others either. Just because something doesn't speak to one person doesn't mean it hasn't got a meaning for you.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#25 daze113

daze113

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

I also think that even if a book or an article or website is not of benefit at the time,it may lead to something useful or a spark of inspiration,so the time is an investment also even if you may find that something does not suit other people it may open up ideas and new ways to move forwards for yourself.

#26 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

.  . .  So I wouldn't feel silly that you've found a website that others haven't found of use. Some of the responses you've had have been from very experienced witches who to be fair probably wouldn't get much out of such a site, they've moved beyond the basics that a starter site can offer. But just starting out? Read anything and everything, . . .

I also think that even if a book or an article or website is not of benefit at the time,it may lead to something useful or a spark of inspiration,so the time is an investment also even if you may find that something does not suit other people it may open up ideas and new ways to move forwards for yourself.

I would gladly support both of these comments, if we were talking about a legitimate resource.  Those who oppose the use of the given website are not doing so, because they are close-minded, do not share the author's Path, or have moved beyond the basics.  This is not a matter of people just being at different places in their Craft journey.  This is about providing those new to the Craft with honest and experienced interpretations of what is and is not total fucking bullshit. 

I agree . . . read everything, but more importantly question everything, because anyone who finds meaning in or inspiration from a website such as presented "may" later find themselves struggling on the Path of the Traditional Witch.

#27 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

I agree . . . read everything, but more importantly question everything, because anyone who finds meaning in or inspiration from a website such as presented "may" later find themselves struggling on the Path of the Traditional Witch.

I found this very timely....

#28 Theneva

Theneva

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

Well OK, I'm done with this thread. I'll not support further comments in future because, as some have said, it is a path to move along, not stagnate in one place in order to learn. I'll find better resources than this one so PLEASE stop digging this back up. My shovel is away on this site, I haven't visited it since the first day I posted this. I'm done! If I could delete this I would but I don't have admin permissions. I wish we were allowed to delete our own threads!

:sick: :pinch: :yuck: :down:  :sickwitch:

It is hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head.

~Sally Kempton

Theneva~ Theneu, Thenu, and Denw. The daughter of a Pictish king.

(I believe this over the xtianized name explanation)

#29 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

You could ask one of the mods to lock the topic.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#30 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

No need to ask. I believe this discussion has run its course.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website