43 replies to this topic

#21 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

The search function on this site is truly horrific. I can't search for anything with one short word in it. I get no results no matter how I variate that word or try an alternative. I'm also quite unsure about why you can't have less than 3 letters I think it is? Bit of a problem if the thing I'm after has 3 letters or less. Such as "of" , and is uses of hawthorn for example.

It really does make the search so complicated.

I'll do a wee test now using the example words : Basic craft. One would expect something to pop up based around either word. ....It hasn't. No results.

Another example. Moon magic. Both words that have been mentioned in threads on here on a variety of subjects . So theoretically some threads containing those searchwords should appear, this is what happens on most other forums I am a part of .... Nope, they don't throw up anything at all .

I basically haven't been able to search for a LOT of things on here since I joined. No joke.

Honey, question.. when doing a search are you making sure you are searching "Forums" and not "this forum".. or " T W Home"??

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#22 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

Must admit, I'm curious about that as I've had absolutely no issues with the search function. I was even able to track down threads people in the chatroom where talking about in a single attempt so I was able to keep up with the conversation at the same time.

Michele - there is a topic "It ain't Brain Surgery" that cropped up that has information on 'the seven planets' which are usually the ones used in grimoires and such

#23 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

Must admit, I'm curious about that as I've had absolutely no issues with the search function. I was even able to track down threads people in the chatroom where talking about in a single attempt so I was able to keep up with the conversation at the same time.

Michele - there is a topic "It ain't Brain Surgery" that cropped up that has information on 'the seven planets' which are usually the ones used in grimoires and such

Lol - a lot of my search problems may well be me... I can't even find things on google half the time. There seems to be a trick for most search engines for 1) knowing what you're looking for, and 2) spelling it correctly!!!

M

#24 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

The search function on this site is truly horrific. I can't search for anything with one short word in it. I get no results no matter how I variate that word or try an alternative. I'm also quite unsure about why you can't have less than 3 letters I think it is? Bit of a problem if the thing I'm after has 3 letters or less. Such as "of" , and is uses of hawthorn for example.

It really does make the search so complicated.

I dropped the word 'of' and searched on 'uses hawthorn' without the quotes and I got 23 results

I'll do a wee test now using the example words : Basic craft. One would expect something to pop up based around either word. ....It hasn't. No results.

Just searched using 'basic craft' without the quotes and got 43 results

Another example. Moon magic. Both words that have been mentioned in threads on here on a variety of subjects . So theoretically some threads containing those searchwords should appear, this is what happens on most other forums I am a part of .... Nope, they don't throw up anything at all .

I basically haven't been able to search for a LOT of things on here since I joined. No joke.

Just searched using 'moon magic' without the quotes and got 63 results

The use of any word less than 3 characters in a search will generate an error, the reason is that the database is not good with small word searches, the resource usage on the server would be astronomic if words less than three characters were allowed so it won't be happening! No forum allows less than three character keywords in search, other than google which has the resources of a small planet to back up it's search.

Lol - a lot of my search problems may well be me... I can't even find things on google half the time. There seems to be a trick for most search engines for 1) knowing what you're looking for, and 2) spelling it correctly!!!

M

You simply need to use keywords in your search Michelle, if you don't get a result with a search try to simplify it or use alternative words.

Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#25 Honeythorn

Honeythorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

I didn't use quotemarks of any sort, just the two words. I got zero results.

#26 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:12 PM

Honey, question.. when doing a search are you making sure you are searching "Forums" and not "this forum".. or " T W Home"??

I'm also thinking this very well could be the problem. Honey, make sure the drop down box next to the search box says 'Forums'. If you do a search on 'Traditional Witch Home', 'This Topic', or 'This Forum' you won't come up with any results on most things.

~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#27 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

I didn't use quotemarks of any sort, just the two words. I got zero results.

I was using the quotes to show the terms I used, and said without the quotes to make sure people didn't try to seraah with them ..

I've just rerun the queries as a Guest and got the following results .. see pics.

Attached File  uses_hawthorn.jpg   227.78KB   5 downloads

Attached File  basic_craft.jpg   225.62KB   3 downloads

Attached File  moon_magic.jpg   224.31KB   2 downloads

Droghon (or Brian)

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#28 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:24 PM

I used to do a search while on the home page and usually got zero results in the beginning, then I realised what I was doing and went onto forum page and did a search and got the results I was looking for.

#29 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

I know I started all this by asking a question about the search, but I do have to add that I have seen (and used) websites that are "free" and they often have limited "latest threads" abilities much less a search button. I seriously doubt this site is a free site, and I don't know who is paying for it but I do know it isn't me, lol, nor have I been asked to contribute and as such I do appreciate that this is a lot of work (and money) for someone and as such I am lucky it is here whether or not I figure out search. So on that note, thanks to whomever is responsible and providing all this.

M

#30 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:06 AM

Maybe this explains your ignorance, Honeythorn!

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#31 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:27 AM

I know I started all this by asking a question about the search, but I do have to add that I have seen (and used) websites that are "free" and they often have limited "latest threads" abilities much less a search button. I seriously doubt this site is a free site, and I don't know who is paying for it but I do know it isn't me, lol, nor have I been asked to contribute and as such I do appreciate that this is a lot of work (and money) for someone and as such I am lucky it is here whether or not I figure out search. So on that note, thanks to whomever is responsible and providing all this.

M

I think a lot of us take for granted the availability of this site at no cost to us. Myself being a luddite who has trouble navigating even TO the computer, so once here I am in a constant attempt at understanding the finer points of this fine service supplied to us.

I owe the benefactor of Traditional Witch a huge thank you, this is a well thought out and run place for us to come and play.

FFFF
Elf

#32 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:38 AM

Search has always worked fine for me but for those that are having issues, there's also the option to go to google, type in site:traditionalwitch.net and follow that with whatever words you would have searched for here and google will only give results from here for your search words. That won't search the private sections, but will show all TW results on the public forums. Just a thought...
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#33 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

Any time I ever had a problem using the search function here it was because of something like this where I did not set it up right. Other than that, I've not had any issues with search.

Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#34 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

Another reason for people using Search and getting limited results. The basic Search returns results from the last 365 days (or close enough).

You can use Advanced Search (click the little Cog wheel to the extreme right of search and use the Date filters to extend the Search period (circled red in the attached picture)

Attached File  search.jpg   174.94KB   1 downloads

Droghon (or Brian)

#35 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

The only time I ever had a problem with search in here was some kind of computer glip, on my side I'm sure! Otherwise, not an issue for me. Just saying.....
Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#36 magentarose

magentarose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

The only time I ever had a problem with search in here was some kind of computer glip, on my side I'm sure! Otherwise, not an issue for me. Just saying.....

It's always an issue with me, lol, user error I'm sure, but every single forum I have ever been on, I haven't been able to find jack shit via search, lol

There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who want things to happen, those that make things happen, and those who just wonder what the hell happened!

#37 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:55 AM

Good post for newcomers

#38 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:05 PM

Bump.
Hey new folk, if you read through this it helps understand how to get the search function to work better.

Also, if you have something pertinent to an old thread, DO feel free to resurrect that puppy. No spell required.:)

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#39 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:11 PM

^ I have to say, it's great that this forum allows the resurrecting of old threads. Some forums don't, but there are so many fascinating topics that have been brought back up by others through resurrection that I probably wouldn't have even thought to search specifically for.

#40 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:26 PM

There was a thread it wouldn't let me resurrect - wouldn't let me write 'bump' on it or add any comment.