Lucifer Rising

thehoodedman

Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTjXYKmBsxU ( the sound is better on this version)

What I gleaned from the film is 'fall' the of organized, modern religion as the pendulum swings back to the pagan mysticism of old occurring in present day. 

Isis & Orsiris, Lucifer & Lilith... Crowley (a mythological figure? godhead? idol?) not looking for an answer, thank you. 

I enjoyed the dream-like state created by Anger and thought it appropriate for the purpose of exploring ritualism. 

Thanks Thehoodedman.

@Aloe : Is this Babylon you're referring to?

Edited by Nikki

@Aloe : Is is Babylon you're referring to?

No, she is referring to Babalon, some incarnation of the "perfect" woman, according to Jack Parsons, a follower of Crowley, anyway.  I wasn't looking for substantiated evidence, as I was just curious, so I Googled it.  It is an interesting story, though I do not normally akin to such theatrics.  If you search Marjorie Parsons, you'll find it.

No, she is referring to Babalon, some incarnation of the "perfect" woman, according to Jack Parsons, a follower of Crowley, anyway.  I wasn't looking for substantiated evidence, as I was just curious, so I Googled it.  It is an interesting story, though I do not normally akin to such theatrics.  If you search Marjorie Parsons, you'll find it.

Ah... okay... Since I don't know the work, it makes sense now that Babalon is a fictional character. Thanks for clarifying, Jevne. Sounds very interesting and Aloe seems to have enjoyed it -- I will indeed check it out :smile:

Edited by Nikki

Ah... okay... Since I don't the work, it makes sense now that Babalon is a fictional character.  Thanks for clarifying, Jevne. Sounds very interesting and Aloe seems to have enjoyed it -- I will indeed check it out :smile:

From what I read, Babalon was not a fictional character to Crowley or Parsons, but more of an Archetype of physical manifestation or representation of some aspect of the Female Divine, living on Earth.  I thought it was funny that these fellows thought that every woman, they had sex with, was this reincarnated "Princess", until which time the female in question displeased them.  That is what I meant by discriminatory . . . the ladies were perfect, until they failed to make the guys happy, at which time they were no longer perfect.  Funny that . . .

Here's The Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pThz_nfcUtQ with the accompanying notes from youtube.

Published on Aug 8, 2013

Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome is a short 38 minute film by Kenneth Anger, filmed in 1954. Anger created two other versions of this film in 1966 and the late 1970s. According to Anger, the film takes the name "pleasure dome" from Samuel Taylor Coleridge's atmospheric poem Kubla Khan. Anger was inspired to make the film after attending a Halloween party called "Come as your Madness."[1]
Early prints of the film had sequences that were meant to be projected on three different screens. Anger subsequently re-edited the film to layer the images. The film -- primarily the 2nd and 3rd revisions -- was often shown in American universities and art galleries during the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
The original edition soundtrack is a complete performance of Glagolitic Mass by the Czech composer Leoš Janáček (1854--1928). In 1966, a re-edited version known as The Sacred Mushroom Edition was made available. In the late 1970s, a third revision was made, which was The Sacred Mushroom Edition re-edited to fit the Electric Light Orchestra album Eldorado, omitting only "Illusions in G Major," a blues-rock tune which Anger felt did not fit the mood of the film.
The differences in the visuals of the 1954 original and the two revisions are minor. An early version, just shown once at germany TV in the early 80's and hold until today by the NDR (Germany) includes ca. 3 additional minutes at the beginning incl. a reading of the poem 'Kubla Khan' by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
The film reflects Anger's deep interest in Thelema, the philosophy of Aleister Crowley and his followers, as indicated by Cameron's role as "The Scarlet Woman" (an honorific Crowley bestowed on certain of his important magical partners).
The film uses some footage of the Hell sequence from the 1911 Italian silent film L'Inferno. Near the end, scenes from Anger's earlier film Puce Moment are interpolated into the layered images and faces.

Cast :

Samson de Brier as Shiva, Osiris, Nero, Cagliostro, and Aleister Crowley (credited as "The Great Beast 666")
Marjorie Cameron as The Scarlet Woman and Kali
Joan Whitney as Aphrodite
Katy Kadell as Isis
Renate Druks as Lilith
Anaïs Nin as Astarte
Curtis Harrington as Cesare the sleepwalker
Kenneth Anger as Hecate
Paul Mathison as Pan
Peter Loome as Ganymede

From what I read, Babalon was not a fictional character to Crowley or Parsons, but more of an Archetype of physical manifestation or representation of some aspect of the Female Divine, living on Earth.  I thought it was funny that these fellows thought that every woman, they had sex with, was this reincarnated "Princess", until which time the female in question displeased them.  That is what I meant by discriminatory . . . the ladies were perfect, until they failed to make the guys happy, at which time they were no longer perfect.  Funny that . . .

No, I can't imagine such a shocker !!!! Sounds like real-life (rather than fictional or an archetypal) fixation to me. OH, the book is always better than the movie, anyways !!! lol