Macaroni Salad

Raineylane

Thought I'd contribute to this recipe thread.

This a great recipe for large family gatherings, cook-outs, pot lucks or when you want to make something ahead of time to eat on all week.

Makes a very colorful salad.

MACARONI SALAD

16 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni

4 carrots, shredded

1 lg. red onion

½ green bell pepper

½ red bell pepper

1 cup chopped celery

2 cups mayonnaise

1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk (I know! Who'd a thunk it?)

½ cup white sugar

½ cup white vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until tender (about 8 mins.) Rinse under cold water and drain.

2. In very large bowl, stir together the vegetables. Mix in mayonnaise, condensed milk, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add macaroni, toss gently, cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours (overnight is better). Gently stir occasionally to blend flavors and gently stir again before serving. Macaroni will absorb flavors.

Note- the vinegar cuts the sweetness some. Has more of a sweet and sour flavor. Hope you enjoy.

Edited by Raineylane

I just may have to give this a go, yet cut it down some, as there is only the two of us.

Sweetened Condensed Milk ????  LoL.......... who knew ?

Regards,

Gypsy

I am the only one in my family that will eat anything like this.  And I did.  I ate it ALL by myself!  Lasted about a week.  Soooooo good!  Hell, you don't need to even cook anything to go with it, in my opinion.