TW Authors and Books

NJHeathen

Greetings all,

I'm probably going to walk into a hornets' nest of politics with this first question, and please believe me when I say I'm not trying to stir up trouble; I genuinely don't know. I was wondering what opinions folks here had of the Traditional Witchcraft authors to be found.

Specifically, Robin Artisson has written some intriguing-looking books, as well as Nigel Jackson (I've read "Masks of Misrule"), Yvonne Aburrow, and Nigel Pennick (I've read a bunch of his, because of my interest in things Germanic, and found "East Anglian Magic" to be very informative).

Can anyone help me with these or other authors? Any particular titles you've found particularly useful?

Or do you not place stock in published works? (I should point out that we Theodish folks have a taboo about such things; we believe magic should be taught mouth-to-ear, rather than learned from a book, even if books can give a useful background, vocabulary, and such.)

Many thanks.

Joseph

http://www.normannii.org

Greetings all,

I'm probably going to walk into a hornets' nest of politics with this first question, and please believe me when I say I'm not trying to stir up trouble; I genuinely don't know. I was wondering what opinions folks here had of the Traditional Witchcraft authors to be found.

Specifically, Robin Artisson has written some intriguing-looking books, as well as Nigel Jackson (I've read "Masks of Misrule"), Yvonne Aburrow, and Nigel Pennick (I've read a bunch of his, because of my interest in things Germanic, and found "East Anglian Magic" to be very informative).

Can anyone help me with these or other authors? Any particular titles you've found particularly useful?

Or do you not place stock in published works? (I should point out that we Theodish folks have a taboo about such things; we believe magic should be taught mouth-to-ear, rather than learned from a book, even if books can give a useful background, vocabulary, and such.)

Many thanks.

Joseph

http://www.normannii.org

Well to be honest here I haven't heard of them before (sorry). I do have an assortment of books and in my collection is "The Inner Temple of witchcraft" & also "The Outer Temple Of witchcraft" both by Christopher Penczak. I found these books useful.

I understand your views on learning and such...however respectfully I do not agree with them either. My mother was witch and raised me as such..i have raised my daughters as witches and have created grimoires for them as well. I also teach this.

Basically anyone can find anything in any book and find it useful in one form or another.

I for one refuse to follow the old lines of "keeping the craft a secret", in todays time I see no need to keep that level of isolation and restriction.

I'm reading The Call of the Horned Piper by Nigel Jackson and I like it....although its one of those books which you keep reading paragraphs here and there....

I'm a bookworm :) and I read loads of different books, I love it.

I think that the authors you mentioned are all worth a read as are many others, all knowledge is useful surely.

There are many people also who don't read any of these type of books...very individual I would say

Robin Artisson books are rehashes of Andrew Chumbley's Sabbattic Craft / Cultus Sabattii books/system.

Nigel Pennick has a revised copy of East Anglian Magic out - Definately worth a read.

Nigel Jackson nothing traditional.

Yvonne is Wiccan (there are some of us that are not all fluff and white light) I've not read her stuff, but know of her and am on a few lists with her.

Sacred mask, Sacred Dance is a good book for some trad material - Evan John Jones worked with Robert Cochrane

a few more authors are

Doreen Valiente (rebirth of Witchcraft, natural magic, witchcraft a tradition renewed)

Justine Glass (probably only in second hand bookshops)

Daniel Schulke & Andrew Chumbley (books now start at about $1000 second hand - but when new are only about $100 - one coming out next year on Dragon Magic)

Robert Cochrane - inventer of the 1734 tradition

Michael Howard - writes the Cauldron Magazine which often has great articles on traditional and other witchcraft. He's also published a feew good books. Long time initiate, and certainl;y knows his stuff.

avoid anything by Ignotus press. I used to write for them, and wrote something on "Death & the Pagan" for managing the dead, dying and funerals for Pagans. However, they only had two people writing for them under about 6 names, and it's all wicca disguised with different spooky sounding words.

I'll see if I can think of any more. These are all my personal views... my professional view on some of these are unprintable <G>

Jon/Baph

I'd like to see your article about death and pagans... that's a very important topic that's close to my heart. As a nurse, over the years, it's become essential to me that people die "good" deaths, as good as possible.

I've done some writing on it myself, but from a medical perspective.

If you could share I'd appreciate it!!

it's a whole book, rather than an article. they used a pseudonym for the author, but my name does appear at the end of the book, after the appendice on laying out the dead. it should still be available.

Jon/Baph

What about Judika Illes?? She wrote the book I am always raving about on her..lol..The Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells.

lol without being rude I think everyone has that book and although it is OK for getting a few ideas I have to actually stick that along with all the other spell books on the market. What else has she written??

Sorry, just my opinion. Half the ingredients in that book are near impossible to get anyway - the only thing I get out of that book is the amount of different spells she could come up with .. the rest I do myself depending on the person, situaton, circumstance and outcome.

Impossible to get? most things can be sourced. I even managed to get Civet, Musk and Ambergris recently... although you have to keep them tightly wrapped/stored as they are strong smelling.

If there's something people are looking for, ask - I've a long list of suppliers, and might just know where you can get something....

jon/Baph

I even managed to get Civet, Musk and Ambergris recently

jon/Baph

Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have AMBERGRIS?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where the HELL did you get that?! I have been searching and have YET to locate that except for remote areas of the world and I was unable to purchase the damn stuff!!!

I posted something about that months ago....it's supposed to be whale sperm like and is an aphrodisiac....sometimes used in perfumes as well.

PLEASE give me a list of suppliers of EVERYTHING you have!!! I would give you my first born except she is 100% like me and you just couldn't handle that LOL!!! :lol2:

HAHA Anjel .. noooo not whale sperm, it has something from the SPERM WHALE .. didnt we even have pictures of this when we were discussing how to extract sperm from a whale LOL *in the depraved area of course*

The ambergris I got from

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

6-8 Burley Lodge Road,

Leeds

LS6 1QP

U.K

I warn you it's expensive - but goes a long way. It was about ?90 ($200) per gram, but it's worth it for certain things.

Jon/Baph

• 1 year later...

Archived