Trance Work

Tamara

I've been trying to do trance work.  I think one time I almost got there but I jerked myself out of it.  The way I see it trance work is the same as meditation or at  least similar. This does not come easily for me.  My mind is way to busy and it's hard to remain focus.  I do sit in a dark room with a candle lit and white noise.  I need the white noise or I'll go crazy.  My ears ring otherwise.  To help me I ordered a mediation drumming CD.  Maybe the sound of drums will get me there.  I have had made some progress but nothing to brag about.  My progress is slow.

My question is:  For those of you who practice trance/mediation, how long did it take before it became easy for you?  And if it's not too personal can you elaborate on your experience?  Did you meet spirit guides, journey to other worlds or discovered new knowledge, understanding or inspiration?  I know it'll be different for everyone.  Just curious is all.  Thanks! :) 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been trying to do trance work.  I think one time I almost got there but I jerked myself out of it.  The way I see it trance work is the same as meditation or at  least similar. This does not come easily for me.  My mind is way to busy and it's hard to remain focus.  I do sit in a dark room with a candle lit and white noise.  I need the white noise or I'll go crazy.  My ears ring otherwise.  To help me I ordered a mediation drumming CD.  Maybe the sound of drums will get me there.  I have had made some progress but nothing to brag about.  My progress is slow.

My question is:  For those of you who practice trance/mediation, how long did it take before it became easy for you?  And if it's not too personal can you elaborate on your experience?  Did you meet spirit guides, journey to other worlds or discovered new knowledge, understanding or inspiration?  I know it'll be different for everyone.  Just curious is all.  Thanks! :smile:

It depends on my level of focus.  I used to practice in class and in my room growing up and then in college I actually had one of my psych classes give us a half an hour to practice this in the lecture hall every day. As a teen my focus was crap but around 19 -21 my focus got better.  But with any skill if you don't use it you loose it so if this is important to you, keep practicing.  I have seen things that are significant to me and it didn't take long in our time, though it felt like forever when I was experiencing it.  That kind doesn't happen all the time though and that's ok because its not always my goal.  For me I use it to connect with the universal energy and I guess "charge" my being if that makes sense. I'm not always looking to interact with beings or gain information.  Sometimes I just need to rest, relax and recharge. 

As for you jerking out of it, that is a trust and fear issue.  Don't fear the feeling of letting go. Trust yourself, trust that you have the power to defend yourself and do not be afraid.  Fear is what will make you a target. Just like if you were going to someone's house to knock on the door and there was a dog in the yard.  If it senses fear, it will know you are not supposed to be there and defend its territory.  Confidence will let it know that you belong and out rank it and most dogs in that situation will let you pass.  

It depends on my level of focus.  I used to practice in class and in my room growing up and then in college I actually had one of my psych classes give us a half an hour to practice this in the lecture hall every day. As a teen my focus was crap but around 19 -21 my focus got better.  But with any skill if you don't use it you loose it so if this is important to you, keep practicing.  I have seen things that are significant to me and it didn't take long in our time, though it felt like forever when I was experiencing it.  That kind doesn't happen all the time though and that's ok because its not always my goal.  For me I use it to connect with the universal energy and I guess "charge" my being if that makes sense. I'm not always looking to interact with beings or gain information.  Sometimes I just need to rest, relax and recharge. 

As for you jerking out of it, that is a trust and fear issue.  Don't fear the feeling of letting go. Trust yourself, trust that you have the power to defend yourself and do not be afraid.  Fear is what will make you a target. Just like if you were going to someone's house to knock on the door and there was a dog in the yard.  If it senses fear, it will know you are not supposed to be there and defend its territory.  Confidence will let it know that you belong and out rank it and most dogs in that situation will let you pass.  

You're right, there is a little fear involved.  I guess it's the unknown.  I think I was startled by the sinking feeling.  I have to learn to embrace it and trust that it will be okay.  Thanks for sharing. :)

Jevne, thanks for the link.  Very helpful.

My question is:  For those of you who practice trance/mediation, how long did it take before it became easy for you?  And if it's not too personal can you elaborate on your experience?  Did you meet spirit guides, journey to other worlds or discovered new knowledge, understanding or inspiration?  I know it'll be different for everyone.  Just curious is all.  Thanks! :smile:

I answered in another thread that Jevne bumped up.

I've found that I also trance while doing mundane things, going on a walk or knitting.  Something that helps me find the simple peace that is far from my chaotic day.  The harder you try I think the harder it will probably be.  You need to trust in your ability just like any other step of the craft.

When I was young I would find my trance by counting.  Say in a chaotic classroom or auditorium, I would count all of the bricks. Soon I wouldn't hear the chaos because I would be focusing on the numbers, then the numbers would fade and I would find that relief and peace.  Find something (like the drumbeat of music) that you can just focus on, just relax and let the music flow with you.  Listen to your heart beat against the musics beat.  Trust in yourself and hopefully you'll find your way to where you want to go.

• 8 months later...

Bumping this out of interest.

I also had a similar problem, but yoga actually helped me a lot as well as working with fire. Active meditation before attempting a trance state helps me relax, otherwise I get restless and sometimes can't for the life of me get into it.

I think it's important to realize there are different levels of trance too - light trance and heavy deep trance.  Also, there is trance caused by taking away stimulation and calming the nervous system (inhibitory) and the other style of excitory trance that over-stimulates the nervous system with stimulus.  

One thing that helps me is tiring myself (depending on the situation and type of trance).  Especially if it is mid-day and my energy is high, I may start by exercising, running, spinning, drumming, dancing, singing - I like to wear myself out.  Especially with singing and dancing - I feel like that helps raise some nergy and invite the spirits in too, so it serves a double purpose.  

I usually like the overload exciting method for deep trance, and often just meditate and quiet my mind for lighter trances, but I could see other people doing things the opposite way too. This is just what seems to work for me.

Sometimes I also use plants for trance.  Actually, this is a good way to learn at first if you keep trying and have no success.  Try with plants for a while, then go back to working without plants.  With a little experience, sometimes it is easier to get back to where the plants took you.  My personal favorite for this would be chewing salvia leaves (not smoking them).  Smoking is intense and hard to understand or work with, but the traditional method of chewing them is very gentle - like a deep meditation.  There is a certain technique that makes chewing work though, and it takes a couple tries to get it down (I can share the technique if anyone is interested).  The Mazatec indians who have a tradition of working with salvia never smoke it - they either chew the leaves, or make water and alcohol infusions with it.   

I'm actually still working on perfecting my trance technique and I've been practicing for a long time.  Sleep deprivation is definitely one of my major go to techniques, so I only use that for intense hedge-riding and sometimes crossing.  Have you tried trance postures at all?  I've had success with only one posture.  I also have a problem with ringing in my ears due to absence of sound, so I use Naturespace half of the time and drumming mp3s the other half.  Naturespace is an amazing app (mp3s are also available), especially for helping you start to visualize!  I actually have most of the Naturespace files on my computer. 

I'm actually still working on perfecting my trance technique and I've been practicing for a long time.  Sleep deprivation is definitely one of my major go to techniques, so I only use that for intense hedge-riding and sometimes crossing.

Lol, rather your path than mine. Nothing stops me from getting a good night's sleep.

Fasting can help a lot for deeper work.  Actually, I always avoided fasting for years, until last summer.....  Now I am realizing how many different types of work you can do with fasting, and how helpful it can be for important rituals.  Especially for longer fasts or long restricted diets, you get to a point where most of your day is in a trance, and a lot of interesting stuff can come up....

I am not sure if sleep deprivation would work for me, even when I get 12 hours of sleep I am likely to drop off in to a nap after a few minutes of relaxation. But then again, trance work and I are not close friends.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely think having a guide help you at first will be great! By cd, or otherwise. I am a professional hypnotist, so I can tell you that there are MANY different ways to be induced into trance, or self induce into trance.Research and do not give up trying. You will find which works best for you.

One tip would be to listen to a trance inducing file whle not truly focusing on it..perhaps while watching tv, reading a book, browsing the net. Have it on low, allowing your subconscious to be more aware as your conscious mind is focusing on other things. This has been a way for others to slowly get used to the process of trance.

You always have to trust yourself, and believe that you can go into a meditative/trance state. Can practice rituals that you always do that will prepare your mind to know its about to experience trancing. PErhaps wearing the same pajamas/robe/silk scarf...or having a drink of water from the same glass, etc.

I definitely think having a guide help you at first will be great! By cd, or otherwise. I am a professional hypnotist, so I can tell you that there are MANY different ways to be induced into trance, or self induce into trance.Research and do not give up trying. You will find which works best for you.

One tip would be to listen to a trance inducing file whle not truly focusing on it..perhaps while watching tv, reading a book, browsing the net. Have it on low, allowing your subconscious to be more aware as your conscious mind is focusing on other things. This has been a way for others to slowly get used to the process of trance.

You always have to trust yourself, and believe that you can go into a meditative/trance state. Can practice rituals that you always do that will prepare your mind to know its about to experience trancing. PErhaps wearing the same pajamas/robe/silk scarf...or having a drink of water from the same glass, etc.

Do you have any suggestion for trance-inducing audio?

i love binaural beats.  The trick with them is to use a good set of headphones.

I just recently tried using binaural beats. It's so easy to slip into trance with them, I love it! It's helped my focus a lot too

Wexler, here is a link to hypnagogic binaural beats that can induce trance states 

https://soundcloud.com/nectar-effector/hypnagogia-state-shifter

Here are some that i've been using with good results... Brainwave Mind Voyages

I also tend to jerk out of once i get so far, but using it regularly has had good results.  I've mostly been using the audio for lucid dreaming and another for astral projection.  I get to the point to where i feel like my body is tingling and waves of energy are rolling through me, but once i actually feel myself begin to, perhaps, leave my body or enter into a deep state i jerk out of it... or i have to go pee ;) hehe.

• 2 months later...

i love binaural beats.  The trick with them is to use a good set of headphones.

Most definitely!! Can you recommend a good pair by chance? I'm trying to determine which type would be beneficial to me (as I wear a sleep mask, I'm not hot on the idea of the headband looking ones). I need ones that play the music loud enough to drown out the tracks my hubby uses for delta sleep, but also keeps him from hearing my music- AND being comfortable!! 

I'm open to suggestions. I plan on looking into/researching some this week, but it would be nice to hear from people who use them for the same purposes. 

I got my exhusband a $100 pair of Sony ones.  They looked like the old ones my Dad has when I was a kid with the big black Princess Lea things over his ears.

I kept snagging them for my binaural beats.  The difference was amazing.  And, yes, I should've gotten myself a pair, too.

I got my exhusband a $100 pair of Sony ones.  They looked like the old ones my Dad has when I was a kid with the big black Princess Lea things over his ears.

I kept snagging them for my binaural beats.  The difference was amazing.  And, yes, I should've gotten myself a pair, too.

Oh I totally prefer the "old school" ones!! I know everyone at the gym chuckles at me bc I wear them..but I totally don't care! The only problem is that they're not very practical when I'm lying down to a long track for example. That's the problem I keep running into. My ears (canals) are super tiny and I have trouble w/the ear bud ones too often times. Then once I find a pair (I did, my hubby's lol!) that do fit, I end up fucking up the wiring after a short period of time- probably bc of the way I twist and consort while sleeping. I'm trying to find a happy medium!

Oh I totally prefer the "old school" ones!! I know everyone at the gym chuckles at me bc I wear them..but I totally don't care! The only problem is that they're not very practical when I'm lying down to a long track for example. That's the problem I keep running into. My ears (canals) are super tiny and I have trouble w/the ear bud ones too often times. Then once I find a pair (I did, my hubby's lol!) that do fit, I end up fucking up the wiring after a short period of time- probably bc of the way I twist and consort while sleeping. I'm trying to find a happy medium!

http://www.amazon.com/AcousticSheep-SleepPhones-Classic-Headphones-Medium/dp/B0046H8ZHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404872533&sr=8-1&keywords=sleeping+headphones

M

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Made much of improvement in this area. I do the binaural beats. Actually you-tube has plenty binaural mediation type beats I listen to for free. lol But what I think helped the most was practicing Kundalini yoga. Not only did it helped my mind to rest but at night right before I fall asleep I feel intense vibrations travel through out my body. My understanding is it's the chakras opening up and blockages are being removed. I had a couple of intense episodes that made me feel sick. Too much energy than my body could handle. When this happens I just give it a break for awhile. I'm also growing in my psychic abilities which I'm really excited about. Whoo Hoo!!

I used to do binaural beats but now, for some reason, they've been driving me up the wall! So, I have switched to bluegrass and instrumental stuff, like Zoe Keating and Yo Yo Ma and the Stills

Archived