Photo
- - - - -

Cicadas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#21 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

Cicadas are found all over the world, even in England. They are colloquially known as locusts but in fact are not related to the true locust family. They are more closely related to leafhoppers and spittlebugs. They are edible and a great delicacy in some countries. They have lovely transparent wings, very delicate. The sound they make especially at dusk is a mating call and I agree with Kera, it is compelling to listen to.

As for magical significance, the dead shells of the nymphs, once the adult has emerged may be dried and powdered and used to represent the unwanted, things from the past that should be left there or in some cases ugliness in mind or body. Useful therefore in binding spells for example. The wings of a dead cicada can be used for hopes for the future, transformations and change and if you lean that way, glamour spells.

The best use I have found for cicadas is to meditate to their sounds, particularly at dusk when the night is creeping over the day to become dominant. Night sounds, night forces. Tune into those, via the cicadas and you can tap into an awesome resource of information and power. I call it listening to the night and it always empowers me as a Witch.

Its interesting, the differences---over here, the cicadas tend to start singing in the heat of summer; July, August, and they sing the loudest in the heat of midday and don't sing as much at twilight, tho they do sing some. Then at night we have the katydids and crickets and tree frogs, and a few other insects.

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#22 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

LOL! My husband read this thread and said. "They are NOT locusts. Locusts are the huge grasshopper looking things, you know, what I fed to Vern." (Vern was our huge porch spider friend in SC) :)

#23 Rustic

Rustic

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

Oh god, you guys have NO idea how excited this hobby entomologist is for the arrival of Brood II's cicadas this summer! I am checking my trees and forests daily for that first nymph casing. And I bang my head on the wall when I hear someone call them locusts. Sorry Kera, lol!

When we had a small outbreak of the 2004 cicadas (Brood X), I collected and powdered a vial of nymph casings. I used it in binding spells as Tana stated. Also around here in the rural forests of PA Dutch country, it is considered you'll have a few years of good luck and good health if you find a white (freshly molted) cicada. Not sure if that belief is held elsewhere, but you hear it all the time around here.

"You're horrible!"

"No, I ain't. I'm Hoggle."

#24 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

Oh god, you guys have NO idea how excited this hobby entomologist is for the arrival of Brood II's cicadas this summer! I am checking my trees and forests daily for that first nymph casing. And I bang my head on the wall when I hear someone call them locusts. Sorry Kera, lol!

When we had a small outbreak of the 2004 cicadas (Brood X), I collected and powdered a vial of nymph casings. I used it in binding spells as Tana stated. Also around here in the rural forests of PA Dutch country, it is considered you'll have a few years of good luck and good health if you find a white (freshly molted) cicada. Not sure if that belief is held elsewhere, but you hear it all the time around here.

Oh my gosh, thats what that was!! I found one when I was a kid(I grew up in central PA)! I thought it was a partial albino or something, lol! It was beautfiul! All pale with green and pink on its wings--or was it pink eyes and green wing veins? Long time ago! But I do recall it was so pretty! The wings so fragile.

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#25 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

I love to listen to the night, but cicadas annoy the shit out of me. Grate on my last raw nerve. Lol.

I have to agree here. I wish I found the sound as musical as the others do but I get irritated beyond belief! They drown out the sound of my beloved toads and frogs that sing for me (well, I feel it's for me anyway, lol).

#26 doggertynation

doggertynation

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:02 AM

They have come here in Florida, I am collecting as many as I can find! They are much different than the yearly insects but I still love the sound at night they make. Both creatures are beautiful... But those 17 year ones are a bit more fun :)

#27 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

Wow, ok, sooooorreyyy, they are not locusts. LOL!! I just heard on the radio that they are now not coming, because if they were they would of been here by now? Anyone out there know? Rustic?

Kera

Why Pamper Life's Complexities When the Leather Runs Smooth On The Passenger Seat -Morrissey

#28 Rustic

Rustic

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

Don't listen to your local DJ's; they know shit about cicadas lol! Cicadas need a ground temperature of at least 64 degrees and at least five days of fair weather to begin singing. You can start seeing them as early as April to as late as the end of June. Also this brood, which is called Brood II, may not emerge in areas where Brood X (2004), Brood XIV (2008) or Brood I (2012) were seen. We had some of Brood X emerge here, so I am out checking the woods daily.

And you guys aren't hearing cicadas at night; those are most likely katydids, frogs or crickets. They may release bursts of noises at night (especially on unusually hot nights) but no US Magicicadas sing the night through. Here is a link to a really good website about the Magicicadas.

"You're horrible!"

#29 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:33 AM

Thanks Rustic
Why Pamper Life's Complexities When the Leather Runs Smooth On The Passenger Seat -Morrissey

#30 Rustic

Rustic

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

No problem Kera!

"You're horrible!"