Photo
- - - - -

Cicadas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

Cicadas are here! Just wanted to ask, does anyone feel that there is any magical significance to the arrival of the circadas? I think it's really interestering how they live. Just wondering. I also like the sound they make, I'm a wierdo. Lol

Kera

Why Pamper Life's Complexities When the Leather Runs Smooth On The Passenger Seat -Morrissey

#2 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

Never heard of them. What are they?

#3 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

Never heard of them. What are they?

Hi Aurora, they are also know as Locuts. They are insects that hibernate underground for about 17 yrs and then come up out of the earth and mate like crazy, the matting sound is a loud buzzing sound. So imagine thousands mabey millions not sure all at once making this buzzing sound. Then you find there dead bodies all over the place. They may just be common over here on the East Coast of the States, I think they are also found down south as well.

Kera

Why Pamper Life's Complexities When the Leather Runs Smooth On The Passenger Seat -Morrissey

#4 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hi Aurora, they are also know as Locuts. They are insects that hibernate underground for about 17 yrs and then come up out of the earth and mate like crazy, the matting sound is a loud buzzing sound. So imagine thousands mabey millions not sure all at once making this buzzing sound. Then you find there dead bodies all over the place. They may just be common over here on the East Coast of the States, I think they are also found down south as well.

Kera

OOps spelling Locusts.

#5 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

OOps spelling Locusts.

Hi, Kera:

You can edit your posts, by clicking the "blue" edit button, next to the Multiquote button. You may not see it unless you put your mouse pointer over it.

:)

#6 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

Ahh, ok thanks.Shall have a read on them.

#7 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:35 AM

Cicadas are found all over the world, even in England. They are colloquially known as locusts but in fact are not related to the true locust family. They are more closely related to leafhoppers and spittlebugs. They are edible and a great delicacy in some countries. They have lovely transparent wings, very delicate. The sound they make especially at dusk is a mating call and I agree with Kera, it is compelling to listen to.

As for magical significance, the dead shells of the nymphs, once the adult has emerged may be dried and powdered and used to represent the unwanted, things from the past that should be left there or in some cases ugliness in mind or body. Useful therefore in binding spells for example. The wings of a dead cicada can be used for hopes for the future, transformations and change and if you lean that way, glamour spells.

The best use I have found for cicadas is to meditate to their sounds, particularly at dusk when the night is creeping over the day to become dominant. Night sounds, night forces. Tune into those, via the cicadas and you can tap into an awesome resource of information and power. I call it listening to the night and it always empowers me as a Witch.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#8 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:37 AM

Hi, Kera:

You can edit your posts, by clicking the "blue" edit button, next to the Multiquote button. You may not see it unless you put your mouse pointer over it.

:smile:

I don't see it, I only see report in blue? Oh and hello :)

Kera

#9 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:42 AM

Cicadas are found all over the world, even in England. They are colloquially known as locusts but in fact are not related to the true locust family. They are more closely related to leafhoppers and spittlebugs. They are edible and a great delicacy in some countries. They have lovely transparent wings, very delicate. The sound they make especially at dusk is a mating call and I agree with Kera, it is compelling to listen to.

As for magical significance, the dead shells of the nymphs, once the adult has emerged may be dried and powdered and used to represent the unwanted, things from the past that should be left there or in some cases ugliness in mind or body. Useful therefore in binding spells for example. The wings of a dead cicada can be used for hopes for the future, transformations and change and if you lean that way, glamour spells.

The best use I have found for cicadas is to meditate to their sounds, particularly at dusk when the night is creeping over the day to become dominant. Night sounds, night forces. Tune into those, via the cicadas and you can tap into an awesome resource of information and power. I call it listening to the night and it always empowers me as a Witch.

Well thank you ever so much Tana! That was a beautiful response, and I will most certainly use your guidance.

Kera

#10 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:44 AM

I don't see it, I only see report in blue? Oh and hello :smile:

Kera

oops, found it! Thanks as always, Jevne!

Kera

#11 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:46 AM

I don't see it, I only see report in blue? Oh and hello :smile:

Kera

Oops! Sorry, K. That function must not be available to you. Damn.

(Edited to Add - Glad you found it. )

Edited by Jevne, 31 May 2013 - 12:46 AM.

#12 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Thank you Tana. I can understand the magical references know. I can only imagine what the sounds must be like and for there to be that many,well I bet they would take you to a deep state. I likened the noise to a scene in the film exorcist, when a african boy was whipping the locust in the air.

Kera, wonder if you could tape that sound.How great would that be!!!

#13 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

I love to listen to the night, but cicadas annoy the shit out of me. Grate on my last raw nerve. Lol.

#14 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Lol J,I have never heard them so I can't say if it would annoy me or not

#15 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

Thank you Tana. I can understand the magical references know. I can only imagine what the sounds must be like and for there to be that many,well I bet they would take you to a deep state. I likened the noise to a scene in the film exorcist, when a african boy was whipping the locust in the air.

Kera, wonder if you could tape that sound.How great would that be!!!

I will! Jevne, should I make you a copy as well? :smile: How will I send it to you Aurora? That is what it sounds like but magnified by 1000 x. You might be able to find something on good ol' You tube.

Kera

Edited by Kera, 01 June 2013 - 12:56 AM.

#16 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:52 AM

Lol J,I have never heard them so I can't say if it would annoy me or not

If you wikipedia them there is a recording of their sound/s...

M

#17 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Good idea!!

#18 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:00 AM

I LOVE cicadas! Did you know that the ones out west sound different than the eastern ones? In PA (and in WI) ours just burst into song with no preamble, out west they kind of "rev up" bre bre bre bre breeee breeeeeiiiiiiiiinnnneeeeeeeee. LOL. :smile: Yeah I'm weird too!

Oh, also I used to collect the discarded exo-skeletons of the nymphs that I would find clinging to the bark of the tree trunks--still fascinates me! Onece i ound a nymph and that sucker was strong. He grabbed hold of my thumb with those forearm pincers and man! What a grip!

Edited by Lynn, 03 June 2013 - 02:05 AM.

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#19 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:06 AM

The last time they "hatched" in this area, they were "everywhere", swarming. I was attending an outdoor fair at the time, and the cicadas were getting in people's hair and clothes and food. The band had to stop playing every song and spend 10 minutes getting the damn cicadas out of their instruments. Small children freaking out, as their parents pulled cicadas off their clothes and out of their strollers. Yeah, 17+ years isn't long enough. ;)

#20 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:14 AM

Kera

Just a note and apologies if this has been already mentioned. The 17 year cicadas are not the same insect as the regular every year cicada that only stay underground for a season and then emerge. That is the insect you most likely are hearing. The 17 year emergence is a big deal to those of us into things like that and i was able to witness one in the mountains of PA
Also this is HUGE personal pet peeve of mine- the fact that so many people misname them "Locusts". They are not and never will be Locusts, which are a completely different insect--they look like huge black grasshoppers and tend to swarm, (sometimes in biblical proportions). :D I have no idea how that ever started, so anyone not familiar with Cicadas---call them by their real name pleeeaassssseeeeee. They and I (and all the entomologists) will thank you.

Yes they are found all over the USA and in other countries as well.

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau