Photo
- - - - -

Sifting Information into Artificial/Wrong Categories

elements cartomancy Wheel of the year

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

I've been thinking a lot the past couple days about how I have been sifting information into tight categories. I think it's been a very limiting and distracting practice that has done me more harm than good.

One of the things that I think I have been doing that was the most wrong, was trying to impose a tarot like system of the 4 elements onto the playing card suits when practicing cartomancy and casting spells. I've been thinking of my tools as each representing an element. I've been thinking of the year as having important days based on solar milestones, and cutting up the year very black and white, between these solar milestones.

I think all this rigid categorizing has been impeding my ability to listen and feel the unique characteristics of things.

I'm sorry, I don't really have a specific question. I'm just rambling and feeling cast adrift and set free at the same time, as I'm throwing off my need to categorize everything.

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#2 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

Maybe everything works together... maybe it's a matter of seeing everything as part of the whole, rather than strictly individual pieces.

I think sometimes there is the habit of seeing the elements as strictly definitions, or explanations, or even neo-pagan/wiccan. The elements are primal forces. They effect everything, and the natures of some things that have been exposed to specific elements can be shaped by those elements. And to work anything, one has to understand, and have a relationship with, the primal force/element that governed it's making. One can take something that a book says is "related to the element of wind" (like, say, a feather), and the element of wind becomes just a definition of an attribute of that feather, and that feather, becomes "bigger" in the mind of the reader than the primal force that is represented by it. Or one can sing to the wind and call upon it, can feed it, can have a relationship with it, and use the feather as a way of calling upon that relationship. The wind may shape the tree that grows on the edge of the cliff, but the tree on the cliff-edge did not shape the wind. The earth, though, will effect the wind. As will the ocean....

One of my pet peeves when I read that "trad witches don't call up the elements"... I call upon them, and I sing to them, and I work very hard to develop a reciprical relationship with them. And with that which supports them.

M

Edited by Michele, 30 May 2013 - 12:03 PM.

#3 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

One can take something that a book says is "related to the element of wind" (like, say, a feather), and the element of wind becomes just a definition of an attribute of that feather, and that feather, becomes "bigger" in the mind of the reader than the primal force that is represented by it. Or one can sing to the wind and call upon it, can feed it, can have a relationship with it, and use the feather as a way of calling upon that relationship.
M

Thank you! I think I really get this!

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#4 Nineheart

Nineheart

The Wish Card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

I've been thinking a lot the past couple days about how I have been sifting information into tight categories. I think it's been a very limiting and distracting practice that has done me more harm than good.

I think all this rigid categorizing has been impeding my ability to listen and feel the unique characteristics of things.

I'm sorry, I don't really have a specific question. I'm just rambling and feeling cast adrift and set free at the same time, as I'm throwing off my need to categorize everything.

What you've said really holds true for me; I'm especially guilty of categorising things when I'm being methodical, so much so that it really hinders my progress.

Within the last few weeks I've been gravitating towards running with my feelings and just doing things in a way that seems right / engaging to me.

The sooner I feed my curiosity for my latest obsessions, the sooner my life settles back into being manageable and that's so much more important than having things in neat and tidy boxes.

The Wish Card, May Dreams Come True.