• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

Mez gonna be doing some glamouring tonite.(wink)

#22 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:32 AM

I have been considering the use of magic for purely hedonistic, trivial, or self-centered gains this evening. I thought about the ever-popular eye color spells that promise to turn your irises any shade you want. Has anyone actually attempted this in all seriousness? I have never heard of someone with any level of power giving it a hearty go, and I've always wondered what the results might be.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#23 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

I have been considering the use of magic for purely hedonistic, trivial, or self-centered gains this evening. I thought about the ever-popular eye color spells that promise to turn your irises any shade you want. Has anyone actually attempted this in all seriousness? I have never heard of someone with any level of power giving it a hearty go, and I've always wondered what the results might be.

I'd put folding money on this being a no. 

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#24 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

There are people, whose eyes appear to change color with their mood, but that has nothing to do with the Craft.  I also know that some people's eyes appear a different color, depending on what they are wearing, but once again not really magic.  I believe that somewhere on the Forum, we discuss this, maybe as part of another conversation.  I recall that at least one person claimed to be able to do it, but I wouldn't bet on it, either.   

#25 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

To me, magic works within the laws of nature. These are my rules of magic. I can weave my spells to work within these natural patterns to bring about a desired result. Instantaneous pigment transformation of the iris is not something that I can manipulate as there is no Natural basis of this for my magic to awaken. There are documented cases of Heterochromia Iridum, where one iris may change color due to a lack or excess of melanin. Such drastic changes in pigmentation of the iris can be brought on by many different factors: Inherited, genetic mosaicism, chimerism, disease or even injury. None of these being anything I want to endure in order to change my eye color. especially because if I cared i could just get some contacts. Glamour to me is not about creating actual physical change in my appearance, but suggesting a different version of myself as to confuse the mind and eyes of my targets. Something as obvious as changing eye color is to specific and easily focused on to work. 

#26 Chloe

Chloe

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

My eyes change colors depending on my mood and what I'm wearing. They don't actually change but certain colors become more apparent than others. That happens for people with eyes that have multiple colors. Mine are blue, green, and light brown. When I'm mad they "turn" green. Usually they are seen as being blue. Usually it has to do with lighting and color clothing. For some reason regardless of lighting or color clothing, my eyes always "turn" green when mad. My sister refers to my eyes as "demon eyes" and everyone seems to be in love with them, no glamour needed :)

My mom is putting eye drops in her eyes for glaucoma (or cataracts, she had a lot wrong with her eyes). They change light colored eyes darker over time. The doctor told her that get blue eyes (ice blue, absolutely gorgeous) might turn brown over time. She's pretty upset about it.

Edited by Chloe, 16 February 2014 - 06:02 PM.

#27 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

For some reason regardless of lighting or color clothing, my eyes always "turn" green when mad.

There was a discussion about this one another forum I frequent a while ago.  If I remember correctly, it has something to do with the blood flow and pressure changes.  There were links posted to different medical articles discussing it.

I have brown eyes with gold flecks.  When I'm really happy or horny my eyes turn golden.  When I'm really angry they turn almost black.  It's freaked out a few people that have watched my eyes change as different situations came up.  I can't change them on purpose, tho.

Davenport, I think this is the best description of 'glamour' that I've heard yet.

Glamour to me is not about creating actual physical change in my appearance, but suggesting a different version of myself as to confuse the mind and eyes of my targets.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#28 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

I'd say you can do magic to be able to afford those blue-eye contact lenses... but I'd also say, depending on why you are looking to change their colour... that you could do spell work (enchantment/glamour/whatever-you-personally-call-it) to make your specific eyes more attractive and alluring to a specific individual. Or to make your eyes and your self seem more trustworthy to a specific person you are trying to fool. Or to make your eyes look more vulnerable to someone who you are about to clobber and you don't want them to know your power. Make yourself appear vulnerable, or magical, or alluring, or trustworthy, or standoffish, via your eyes, etc...

M

Edited by Michele, 16 February 2014 - 08:17 PM.

#29 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

Apparently I've been doing glamour magic for my entire life.  Since early childhood, whenever I needed to present myself in a specific situation (public performance, interviews, important meetings, etc.), I would put myself in a meditative trance to "summon" the particular aspects of myself I needed to best accomplish the task.  There are times when I needed to maintain a bewitching appearance, and other times when commanding and articulate verbal skills were paramount- just to name a couple.  I didn't know what I was doing at the time when I visualized pushing that energy out of myself and into a type of shroud around me, but apparently it was glamouring?  As others have noted, it is a fabulously exhausting exercise, but has always been very effective for me and nearly always worth the "price" of lackluster physical energy afterwards.

One benefit that I haven't seen mentioned is that, for those of us who are fiercely protective of our privacy, glamouring provides a great way to create a barrier between one's professional and personal lives.  I even used it back in my dating days as well!  I've lost count how many times I've made eye contact with colleagues (sometimes even directly addressing them) whom I've ran into when out and about, and there was zero recognition.  I personally find anonymity to be fun and comfortable- most of the time.

I have brown eyes with gold flecks.  When I'm really happy or horny my eyes turn golden.  When I'm really angry they turn almost black.  It's freaked out a few people that have watched my eyes change as different situations came up.  I can't change them on purpose, tho.

I can't change my intentionally, either, although it would be nice if I could (just for some good old-fashioned mischief).  The only time it happens- which is rare, thankfully- is when someone has pushed me too far and I'm consumed with anger.  I've learned that when they recoil in horror when my irises turn black is the last stage of rage in me before I have to begin consciously preventing myself from committing physical violence against that person.  I guess it's like the little plastic pop-up indicator on a turkey when it's hot enough to be fully cooked.  On the bright side, my nosy mother-in-law triggered the black eyes in me enough times early in our relationship to now be a little afraid of me.   :thumbsup:

#30 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

This is soooooo cool!  I've never met anyone else who's eyes turn black, too.  'Recoil in horror' is a great way to describe the reaction of people that see it happen. 

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#31 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

I know my eyes change colour sometimes. I have blue eyes and during some situations they can turn grey or green. I would like to try the eye colour changing spell again, but it would be just an illusion.

Edited by NiamhBrennaDarcy, 17 February 2014 - 01:37 PM.

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#32 firebird

firebird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

Don't worry about a description. Even if it was an illusion, as long as everybody sees it, does it matter .

FB :vhappywitch:

#33 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

But when she put's on her eyeliner she literally 'puts on her face'.  She didn't even realize that she was working a 'make-up' glamour until it was pointed out to her.  It was a personal trauma for her that she was just weaving her magic around her without realizing it.

I imagine many women do this without realizing it ... I think of all women I've met, who by common standards are not 'beautiful,' but are found absolutely bewitching by others... 

There was a discussion about this one another forum I frequent a while ago.  If I remember correctly, it has something to do with the blood flow and pressure changes.  There were links posted to different medical articles discussing it.

RoseRed... I viewed a documentary, The Science of Sexy... they showed when aroused our pupils dilate.

Also when we are angry, our fight or flight kick in, dilating the pupils. Those with brown eyes and an enlarged pupils can easily look 'black' eyed... and that being very intimidating!! Watch out ... lol.

I know my eyes change colour sometimes. I have blue eyes and during some situations they can turn grey or green. I would like to try the eye colour changing spell again, but it would be just an illusion.

Me too. My eyes are a deep blue, but with lack of sleep or a migraine my eyes lighten and glow. They turn light, light blue, grey, or vibrant green -- looking quite Children of the Corn scary -- People who know me have literally freaked out. I've read that this can change can be a vitamin deficiency to needing a more alkaline diet. Who knows... it's kinda cool while it lasts, though. 

QUESTION: Doesn't glamouring take much energy and wear off quickly? I've never consciously tried it, so I have no first-hand experience.

I can see glamouring being useful for a hit-and-run type encounter, like an interview or TV appearance.. but long-term, it seems like a hassle.

Wouldn't other spells accomplish the same thing, only with a more lasting effect? Especially when you have to deal with the same people often?  just wondering... 

Edited by Nikki, 18 February 2014 - 01:37 PM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#34 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

QUESTION: Doesn't glamouring take much energy and wear off quickly? I've never consciously tried it, so I have no first-hand experience.

I can see glamouring being useful for a hit-and-run type encounter, like an interview or TV appearance.. but long-term, it seems like a hassle.

Wouldn't other spells accomplish the same thing, only with a more lasting effect? Especially when you have to deal with the same people often?  just wondering... 

All of these depend on the witch and their experience/ability level and their goal.  For me, it was draining after a while, but the more I did it the easier it got.  I have used it in the short term for interviews and meetings with "higher ups". I have used it on a more long term basis as well to keep up the persona expected due to my position.  For me, I paired it with another spell to remove those that were not fooled by the glamour.  In my situation, another spell wouldn't have worked as well because with a glamour I am spelling myself to appear a certain way.  That left me to work other spells that may achieve my other goals, like revealing enemies (while I am hidden) and removing them.  Had I done a lovey dovey spell to make us all friends or whatever, I wouldn't have been able to remove them and I would have gotten back stabbed eventually. You can't force someone to go against their nature with spell work for very long and I would have been at risk to fall on my sword so to speak. So it was logical according to my goals to use a glamour. 

#35 Moly

Moly

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:47 PM

My eyes are colour changing ones, they go from blue to grey to green. Once someone even described them as yellow which was very weird. But they are in fact a pretty boring shade of what I think is sometimes called forest green, they just appear to change colour. It doesn't have any relationship to my mood. My brother who has worked a great deal in visual media and has unusually excellent visual acuity tells me that it's a remarkable feature and my eyes are interesting to others, but they appear to change colour because of the type of light that is cast on my eye at whatever time.

I liked Davenport's remark about suggesting a different version of self. Also ArcticWitch's comment about summoning aspects of self.

Also really like Arcticwitch's remarks (and others on thread) to do with glamour as a type of protective magic. It can distract from more vulnerable inner parts... but also give you the confidence to be a go-getter. Even being a confident go getter is itself a sort of protection... it protects you from predator vampire types who seek "weak" people, or people who can't defend themselves. I think everyone should try to be glamorous.

I think of a great actor or actress, bringing out a part of their self to express it and make a change in the world. Like Marlon Brando playing this revolting character in Streetcar Named Desire, his performance is unforgettable, he is so disgusting and frightening just drinking, a monster. or Vivien Leigh who is so incredibly glamorous at bringing all of these dazzling effects out of herself that you would hardly notice her beautiful face or even mistake her face as not beautiful at all. They would search and discover a part inside their self and enhance it, polish it up and show it off. Make their body a tool to effect it, to express it.

Glamour is dazzling, it is striking and unusual and so it sort of hypnotises because it is so distracting. It captures attention. It also entertains others. So they just look at what you are showing them but they are also enjoying it, like watching a bartender juggle bottles. They get a little mesmerised by it.

I don't think it's the same thing as beauty at all, maybe more like kind of the opposite, it is the strange and unusual, unexpected, fairy self, stuff spirited out of fairy land and held up in light. So you are looking for those aspects in your self that describe something about being human in a way that hasnt been seen before.

Thinking about earlier posts on thread about fear of change. I think that it will change you inevitably, it's unavoidable. It's magic, from fairy land, you touch it and it will change you. You cant just say "Don't touch me back, fairy land!" and expect it to not touch you. You gaze into the abyss and the abyss gazes back into you, Nietzsche wrote.

But you have to be courageous about change. We all go into the void some day, at least in some sense, at least part of us. You're changing but you're also developing a magical skill, you're becoming a more powerful and multifaceted witch or magician.

Edited by Moly, 29 November 2017 - 02:57 PM.

#36 Pazuzu

Pazuzu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

Not gonna lie.. it would be awesome to have my eyes turn red when im pissed off.. who in their right mind would keep arguing with someone when their eyes go red? Especially at work XD
"Nilbog... it's Goblin spelled backwards!!"

#37 Pazuzu

Pazuzu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:13 PM

Like.. a customer keeps shouting at me.. and this would happen... lol

Attached Files

"Nilbog... it's Goblin spelled backwards!!"

#38 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:56 PM

I think I have used glamour a lot at different times but without really knowing what I was doing. I also couldn't sustain it for long because I wasn't deliberate about it and I do think my energy dipped afterwards.

I would write more but not in the public area! I'd be interested to see if I could develop this more intentionally.

#39 Moly

Moly

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:57 PM

It would be cool to have red eyes when enraged but I think that's costume rather than glamour. A charm or a costume is a good reminder or point of focus but the glamour is from within. That's just my opinion, I'm certain others would disagree with me (and that's a good thing).

I'm sure there are times you have glamourised a customer who was yelling at you and dazzled them into meekness, without deliberately meaning to. Maybe with "red eye rage", or maybe with some other effect.

#40 Cherry

Cherry

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:55 AM

When I was younger I started to use glamour almost every day to keep others around me from being bothered by my depression. It was really hard, since I was already running on low batteries and using glamour drained all that was left for me to use. Would not recommend that to anyone. The problem is I became so used to using glamour as a protective shield that I stopped noticing when I was doing it. It took me years to stop using glamour to protect myself, so that I could actually face the challenges ahead. Now I try to use it just when working. I don't really show that side of me off stage anymore so now I hear it a lot how people can't believe I can be that captivating and charismatic, since that's not me on my daily basis. But I kind of like it this way ;)

What I would say is: don't use glamour too much, since it does take a lot of energy. Know your limits, remember to listen to your body and mind. Also know what you want to achive with glamour before using it. Yes, it can make some people see you differently, but it's not always a good thing. For examble when you need help from others, but you've made them believe you're this strong character who needs no help in any situation... not a good situation to be in. Also glamour is not always about being beautiful or cute, which is why your intent is really important. There are many roads to the same goal and some of them are better than others. You may wish to be respected, but there's a difference between someone who's respected out of fear and someone who's respected because their hard working personality.

Of course all of these things are just suggestions. We all have our own experiences and ways of practising.

Edited by CherryDNA, 30 November 2017 - 02:04 AM.