Sign in to follow this  
Wexler

Symbolism of the ritual knife

Excellent!

Think it was US $90, from Cutco. Can't recommend them more, brilliant knives lol

I looked up athemes on Wikipedia lol I wasn't sure exactly what they where obviously a knife but there are lots of knifes out there lol. I actually tried googling it and got this Wiccan new age site that said they date back to 1200 or some such nonsense. I really am super confused about why blood isn't allowed to touch the darn thing ( please please don't try to explain I don't give a hoot) after all its a knife but whatever to each there own. My DH makes knives so here are a couple of them the bottom one actually glows in the dark.

6045cc8f9b942c7076aed93858bf10cf_zps5b233221.jpg

• Upvote 1

I was wondering if any of you have a knife such as a hunting or fishing knife that has taken the life of something?  Hubby left his fillet knife on the counter after catching supper last night and I touched it and it had a very different feel from the first time I handled it. Do you think a knife can absorb a little of the life essence of something if used to end its life? 

I definitely think the knife can absorb energy from the life it was used to end, whether that's fish, animal, or human.

I ain't provide documents because I don't remember where it was I read it, but there are stories/legends of blades absorbing energy after it was used to let blood or end a life.

So yes I do think its usage would affect its energy field either strengthening, weakening, or just altering.

I definitely think the knife can absorb energy from the life it was used to end, whether that's fish, animal, or human.

I ain't provide documents because I don't remember where it was I read it, but there are stories/legends of blades absorbing energy after it was used to let blood or end a life.

So yes I do think its usage would affect its energy field either strengthening, weakening, or just altering.

If I am remembering correctly (it's been a LONG time since I  read (and loved) ShoGun) some of the Sumari swords couldn't be re-sheathed unless they drew blood... they quivered with the anticipation...

M

I do think they absorb energy from the animal I can tell you the same is true of bows, arrows and other weapons that are used they also seem to pick up a bit of the feel of the person who used them for the kill. We predominantly own knives used for hunting and fishing and I know that the fillet knife from fish has a very different energy than the buck knife from hunting so I think they pick up specific energy.

• Upvote 1

Nice knives Aurelian and Athena.

It's a knife, the chances of it drawing/touching blood at some time or other is pretty high. The indonesian kris, once drawn out, must draw blood - others' or yours. What better way to link the knife to your will and person, than by anointing it with ones own blood.

Mine is just a black handled kitchen knife, that has one side of the cutting edge done is some kind of metal that looks like gold. I use it to cut all sorts of stuff. I don't use it for 'gentle' workings, which I think, it isn't suited for.

Nice knives Aurelian and Athena.

It's a knife, the chances of it drawing/touching blood at some time or other is pretty high. The indonesian kris, once drawn out, must draw blood - others' or yours. What better way to link the knife to your will and person, than by anointing it with ones own blood.

Mine is just a black handled kitchen knife, that has one side of the cutting edge done is some kind of metal that looks like gold. I use it to cut all sorts of stuff. I don't use it for 'gentle' workings, which I think, it isn't suited for.

Your comment kind of reminds me of the Sword of the Truth series.   :smile:  The main character always used the sword to draw his blood and give the blade a taste. 

It makes sense that a blade would absorb the energy of that which is around it especially if used to take a life. 

Edited by Whiterose

I hadn't given it much thought before, but my family members, especially the hunters, keep knives all over their homes; in the kitchen, on a table by the back door, on the end table next to the remote control . . . different sizes, mostly pocket knives, but quite a collection of other types, too.  Most of the knives that they use have a purpose, of course, so I can only assume that all of the randomly placed ones do too.  Even though I am not a hunter, I have quite a number of blades that I keep around for various reasons.  Even among all of the kitchen knives, I have my favorites.  I like having a few "go to" knives, the ones that always seem to be just right, no matter what you are doing.

Edited by Jevne

I have one of those big Cutco knives, too.  :)

My 'ritual' knife lives in my pocket.  I use it for damn near everything except cutting veggies.  I like my kitchen knives for those.

I remember when I got it.  I oiled it and was working the joint and it bit me.  This was long before I ever heard of blooding a knife but that's exactly what it was.  That was the only time it's ever cut me.  There's been plenty of times that I've dropped it or slipped while using it that I probably should have cut me but it never did.

It was a really intense moment when I watched myself bleed and consecrated the knife with that blood.  I never had the desire to do that before.  I really had no idea why I did it but it seemed so natural that I went with it.  It was almost like a vague deja vu and a wavering almost memory that I couldn't quite latch onto.  I've had a very special relationship with this knife ever since. 

Most of my practical day to day cutting work is done with scissors. I've go far more pairs of scissors than knives in my house. I find them a lot easier to use than knives which always need a surface to lean on. And pretty much all my scissors and all my knives have come across blood at some time though in the majority of cases that was more to do with clumsiness than intent. Needles incidentally I prefer for drawing blood. A sterile needle right into the boob, point down, bottom up and then a good squeeze to get a few drops out.

I have a double edged letter opener..... does that work? I do beleive the reason that the reasoning of the double edge was a symbolism for balance, the point is to direct energy?

I do have a knife that I use solely for my herbs. Not for any real reason other than it does the job well without bruising the tender leaves. 

My letter opener really does look pretty witchy. ;)

I have a knife, but not an 'athame'. Where did that word even come from? 

Ahem. Mine's more of a small dagger than anything else. I use it mainly for cutting and carving. 

My favorite thing about it is that the handle's hollow, like an army-knife. I can place written sigils and herbs inside it, depending on what I'm doing. 

Edited by Moondark

I think the origin of the word athame may have been related to "ardhame" (spelling probably way off) which I THINK comes or came from the middle east??? Don't remember exactly though, lol. It's been a while since I read about it....

M

Edited by Michele

I was wondering if any of you have a knife such as a hunting or fishing knife that has taken the life of something?  Hubby left his fillet knife on the counter after catching supper last night and I touched it and it had a very different feel from the first time I handled it. Do you think a knife can absorb a little of the life essence of something if used to end its life? 

I do not know about absorbing the life essence, but I tend to leave the hunting knives alone, as I do not like the "feel' of them.  This has only recently become an issue for me, though I cannot say for certain what, if anything, has changed.  The only thing I can think of is that I had a vision of being cut, badly and deeply, by a very sharp knife, though such a thing has never happened to me.  If it were some kind of premonition, you would think I would be afraid of all knives, but for some reason it is only the hunting ones that bother me.  Not hard to stay away from those, though, as most are kept out in the man-cave. I try not to venture out there.  It smells funny, and there is a layer of 'cooties' on everything. :)

I do not know about absorbing the life essence, but I tend to leave the hunting knives alone, as I do not like the "feel' of them.  This has only recently become an issue for me, though I cannot say for certain what, if anything, has changed.  The only thing I can think of is that I had a vision of being cut, badly and deeply, by a very sharp knife, though such a thing has never happened to me.  If it were some kind of premonition, you would think I would be afraid of all knives, but for some reason it is only the hunting ones that bother me.  Not hard to stay away from those, though, as most are kept out in the man-cave. I try not to venture out there.  It smells funny, and there is a layer of 'cooties' on everything. :smile:

:roflhard:

Ain't it the truth???  And what, pray tell, is that weird smell?  I've noticed it in hubby's man cave too.

I think that weird smell is pheromones, sweat, and dirty feet :wink:

What's the matter, RavenFlyer?  Getting a little hot  . . . ?

Re: original post...the double edge is so it can cut both ways without turning your hand, ie., a sword. That's according to Ray Buckland.

Though its hard to separate the athame from Wiccan traditions in the mind, the tool itself was appropriated from the Golden Dawn, who very likely had appropriated it from ceremonial magical traditions predating their own. As previously mentioned here, the black-handled ritual knife is identified in the Key of Solomon from the Middle Ages, and that's just one body of occultic literature which survives to this day; ritual blades predate the written language, and the binding of the handle in black was just one example of a culture's way about it that became popularized in the modern day.

The word athame itself was a creation of Gerald Gardner, but he didn't completely make it up. The oldest root of the word that is currently known, artavus, is found in a Latin manuscript of the Key of Solomon, but the word itself does not appear to be Latin in origin. Irregardless, another spelling of the word derived from French translations is arthame, and that is one which I have personally heard of in use by practicioners of traditional witchery, and most particularly amongst those of more ritualistic persuasion. 

In my work, I do have a knife set aside specifically for craftwork purposes. It's my late grandfather's pocket knife, and his long years of whittling and working with it infused the metal with a wonderfully stable, masculine energy. 

I also just really needed to bump something above what was previously the most current thread in this subforum because looking at it made my eye twitch..

Edited by Phaedra

I can back that up Phaedra. 20 years ago I'd read in some alledgedly old grimoire reprint that spun off the name of Solomon a word for the ritual blade was "artham". It's the only thing out of the book that stuck with me. Thanks for the history of the word.

Since I'd started out in Wicca I still value my $6.00 2-sided blade. We started this together and we'll finish it together :D I've given away heaps of "regalia" as ive changed my ways of working through time but they'll have to pry my blade from my cold dead hand, as the saying goes.

I bought a Sgian Dubh on the Isle of Skye, I have yet to actually use it for any magickal purposes. It sure is pretty. I was going to post a photo but I can't seem to lay my hands on it.

Edited by Onyx

Sign in to follow this