46 replies to this topic

#41 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

I think the origin of the word athame may have been related to "ardhame" (spelling probably way off) which I THINK comes or came from the middle east??? Don't remember exactly though, lol. It's been a while since I read about it....

M

Edited by Michele, 24 October 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#42 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:25 AM

I was wondering if any of you have a knife such as a hunting or fishing knife that has taken the life of something?  Hubby left his fillet knife on the counter after catching supper last night and I touched it and it had a very different feel from the first time I handled it. Do you think a knife can absorb a little of the life essence of something if used to end its life? 

I do not know about absorbing the life essence, but I tend to leave the hunting knives alone, as I do not like the "feel' of them.  This has only recently become an issue for me, though I cannot say for certain what, if anything, has changed.  The only thing I can think of is that I had a vision of being cut, badly and deeply, by a very sharp knife, though such a thing has never happened to me.  If it were some kind of premonition, you would think I would be afraid of all knives, but for some reason it is only the hunting ones that bother me.  Not hard to stay away from those, though, as most are kept out in the man-cave. I try not to venture out there.  It smells funny, and there is a layer of 'cooties' on everything. :)

#43 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

I do not know about absorbing the life essence, but I tend to leave the hunting knives alone, as I do not like the "feel' of them.  This has only recently become an issue for me, though I cannot say for certain what, if anything, has changed.  The only thing I can think of is that I had a vision of being cut, badly and deeply, by a very sharp knife, though such a thing has never happened to me.  If it were some kind of premonition, you would think I would be afraid of all knives, but for some reason it is only the hunting ones that bother me.  Not hard to stay away from those, though, as most are kept out in the man-cave. I try not to venture out there.  It smells funny, and there is a layer of 'cooties' on everything. :smile:

:roflhard:

Ain't it the truth???  And what, pray tell, is that weird smell?  I've noticed it in hubby's man cave too.

#44 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

I think that weird smell is pheromones, sweat, and dirty feet ;)
My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#45 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

I think that weird smell is pheromones, sweat, and dirty feet :wink:

What's the matter, RavenFlyer?  Getting a little hot  . . . ?

#46 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:52 PM

don't you know it!

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#47 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:00 PM

Re: original post...the double edge is so it can cut both ways without turning your hand, ie., a sword. That's according to Ray Buckland.