48 replies to this topic

#41 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,039 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

I think the origin of the word athame may have been related to "ardhame" (spelling probably way off) which I THINK comes or came from the middle east??? Don't remember exactly though, lol. It's been a while since I read about it....

M

Edited by Michele, 24 October 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#42 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:25 AM

I was wondering if any of you have a knife such as a hunting or fishing knife that has taken the life of something?  Hubby left his fillet knife on the counter after catching supper last night and I touched it and it had a very different feel from the first time I handled it. Do you think a knife can absorb a little of the life essence of something if used to end its life? 

I do not know about absorbing the life essence, but I tend to leave the hunting knives alone, as I do not like the "feel' of them.  This has only recently become an issue for me, though I cannot say for certain what, if anything, has changed.  The only thing I can think of is that I had a vision of being cut, badly and deeply, by a very sharp knife, though such a thing has never happened to me.  If it were some kind of premonition, you would think I would be afraid of all knives, but for some reason it is only the hunting ones that bother me.  Not hard to stay away from those, though, as most are kept out in the man-cave. I try not to venture out there.  It smells funny, and there is a layer of 'cooties' on everything. :)

#43 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

I do not know about absorbing the life essence, but I tend to leave the hunting knives alone, as I do not like the "feel' of them.  This has only recently become an issue for me, though I cannot say for certain what, if anything, has changed.  The only thing I can think of is that I had a vision of being cut, badly and deeply, by a very sharp knife, though such a thing has never happened to me.  If it were some kind of premonition, you would think I would be afraid of all knives, but for some reason it is only the hunting ones that bother me.  Not hard to stay away from those, though, as most are kept out in the man-cave. I try not to venture out there.  It smells funny, and there is a layer of 'cooties' on everything. :smile:

:roflhard:

Ain't it the truth???  And what, pray tell, is that weird smell?  I've noticed it in hubby's man cave too.

#44 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

I think that weird smell is pheromones, sweat, and dirty feet ;)
My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#45 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

I think that weird smell is pheromones, sweat, and dirty feet :wink:

What's the matter, RavenFlyer?  Getting a little hot  . . . ?

#46 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:52 PM

don't you know it!

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#47 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:00 PM

Re: original post...the double edge is so it can cut both ways without turning your hand, ie., a sword. That's according to Ray Buckland.

#48 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:01 PM

Though its hard to separate the athame from Wiccan traditions in the mind, the tool itself was appropriated from the Golden Dawn, who very likely had appropriated it from ceremonial magical traditions predating their own. As previously mentioned here, the black-handled ritual knife is identified in the Key of Solomon from the Middle Ages, and that's just one body of occultic literature which survives to this day; ritual blades predate the written language, and the binding of the handle in black was just one example of a culture's way about it that became popularized in the modern day.

The word athame itself was a creation of Gerald Gardner, but he didn't completely make it up. The oldest root of the word that is currently known, artavus, is found in a Latin manuscript of the Key of Solomon, but the word itself does not appear to be Latin in origin. Irregardless, another spelling of the word derived from French translations is arthame, and that is one which I have personally heard of in use by practicioners of traditional witchery, and most particularly amongst those of more ritualistic persuasion. 

In my work, I do have a knife set aside specifically for craftwork purposes. It's my late grandfather's pocket knife, and his long years of whittling and working with it infused the metal with a wonderfully stable, masculine energy. 

I also just really needed to bump something above what was previously the most current thread in this subforum because looking at it made my eye twitch..

Edited by Phaedra, 24 May 2018 - 12:00 PM.

#49 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:40 AM

I can back that up Phaedra. 20 years ago I'd read in some alledgedly old grimoire reprint that spun off the name of Solomon a word for the ritual blade was "artham". It's the only thing out of the book that stuck with me. Thanks for the history of the word.

Since I'd started out in Wicca I still value my $6.00 2-sided blade. We started this together and we'll finish it together :D I've given away heaps of "regalia" as ive changed my ways of working through time but they'll have to pry my blade from my cold dead hand, as the saying goes.