46 replies to this topic

#21 anjeaunot

anjeaunot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

I agree with you, Jevne.

However, Kera instanced the black-handled knives of Irish fairy-lore and Celtic tradition.

Gerald Gardner pretended to have Scottish ancestors. He often wore a kilt and had the skene dhu in a sock.

The skene dhu was traditionally a doubled-edged knife! It was worn partly hidden in a sock or boot. It had a black handle!

#22 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

I keep forgetting that once the wiccans touch something, it makes it distasteful to discuss. That's what I get for asking questions about something's history without totally knowing it's history first, eh?

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#23 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:31 AM

I have an idea. How about we stop talking about wicca shit on the Trad witchcraft forum?

I have to say Jevne, you really make me laugh! I was thinking about what you posted before, about the time travel, while I was baggin my groceries and I started to giggle, like out loud a bit. I really got such a kick out of that comment. I never do shit like that! Thanks for putting a smile on my face today.

Kera

Why Pamper Life's Complexities When the Leather Runs Smooth On The Passenger Seat -Morrissey

#24 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:27 AM

It's not in the associations of ceremonial magic or in books. It's in the Lore of your path.

M

Edited by Michele, 24 October 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#25 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:53 AM

I have an idea. How about we stop talking about wicca shit on the Trad witchcraft forum?

Quoted for EMPHASIS!!

I keep forgetting that once the wiccans touch something, it makes it distasteful to discuss. That's what I get for asking questions about something's history without totally knowing it's history first, eh?

We're disinclined to discuss such things, due to the fact that we mostly don't care, and really don't know. We're not wiccan. Pisses a lot of us off, however, that wicca keeps borrowing from actual witchcraft, applies a bunch of bullshit, and then try to call it 'traditional.'

To edit: This is my black-handled knife:

It chops, it slices! It has beheaded live animals, and chopped frozen snake heads. But mostly, I use it for carrots. The trad witch way: I make it work for me :cool_witch:

Posted Image

Edited by Aurelian, 04 May 2013 - 04:15 AM.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#26 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

Hey!! Yours looks just like mine! ;)

#27 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

Excellent!

Think it was US $90, from Cutco. Can't recommend them more, brilliant knives lol

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#28 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

I looked up athemes on Wikipedia lol I wasn't sure exactly what they where obviously a knife but there are lots of knifes out there lol. I actually tried googling it and got this Wiccan new age site that said they date back to 1200 or some such nonsense. I really am super confused about why blood isn't allowed to touch the darn thing ( please please don't try to explain I don't give a hoot) after all its a knife but whatever to each there own. My DH makes knives so here are a couple of them the bottom one actually glows in the dark.
Posted Image

#29 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

Nice.

#30 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

I was wondering if any of you have a knife such as a hunting or fishing knife that has taken the life of something?  Hubby left his fillet knife on the counter after catching supper last night and I touched it and it had a very different feel from the first time I handled it. Do you think a knife can absorb a little of the life essence of something if used to end its life? 

#31 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

I definitely think the knife can absorb energy from the life it was used to end, whether that's fish, animal, or human.
I ain't provide documents because I don't remember where it was I read it, but there are stories/legends of blades absorbing energy after it was used to let blood or end a life.

So yes I do think its usage would affect its energy field either strengthening, weakening, or just altering.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#32 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

I definitely think the knife can absorb energy from the life it was used to end, whether that's fish, animal, or human.
I ain't provide documents because I don't remember where it was I read it, but there are stories/legends of blades absorbing energy after it was used to let blood or end a life.

So yes I do think its usage would affect its energy field either strengthening, weakening, or just altering.

If I am remembering correctly (it's been a LONG time since I  read (and loved) ShoGun) some of the Sumari swords couldn't be re-sheathed unless they drew blood... they quivered with the anticipation...

M

#33 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:19 PM

I do think they absorb energy from the animal I can tell you the same is true of bows, arrows and other weapons that are used they also seem to pick up a bit of the feel of the person who used them for the kill. We predominantly own knives used for hunting and fishing and I know that the fillet knife from fish has a very different energy than the buck knife from hunting so I think they pick up specific energy.

#34 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

Nice knives Aurelian and Athena.

It's a knife, the chances of it drawing/touching blood at some time or other is pretty high. The indonesian kris, once drawn out, must draw blood - others' or yours. What better way to link the knife to your will and person, than by anointing it with ones own blood.

Mine is just a black handled kitchen knife, that has one side of the cutting edge done is some kind of metal that looks like gold. I use it to cut all sorts of stuff. I don't use it for 'gentle' workings, which I think, it isn't suited for.

#35 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

Nice knives Aurelian and Athena.

It's a knife, the chances of it drawing/touching blood at some time or other is pretty high. The indonesian kris, once drawn out, must draw blood - others' or yours. What better way to link the knife to your will and person, than by anointing it with ones own blood.

Mine is just a black handled kitchen knife, that has one side of the cutting edge done is some kind of metal that looks like gold. I use it to cut all sorts of stuff. I don't use it for 'gentle' workings, which I think, it isn't suited for.

Your comment kind of reminds me of the Sword of the Truth series.   :smile:  The main character always used the sword to draw his blood and give the blade a taste. 

It makes sense that a blade would absorb the energy of that which is around it especially if used to take a life. 

Edited by Whiterose, 03 August 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#36 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:29 PM

I hadn't given it much thought before, but my family members, especially the hunters, keep knives all over their homes; in the kitchen, on a table by the back door, on the end table next to the remote control . . . different sizes, mostly pocket knives, but quite a collection of other types, too.  Most of the knives that they use have a purpose, of course, so I can only assume that all of the randomly placed ones do too.  Even though I am not a hunter, I have quite a number of blades that I keep around for various reasons.  Even among all of the kitchen knives, I have my favorites.  I like having a few "go to" knives, the ones that always seem to be just right, no matter what you are doing.

Edited by Jevne, 17 August 2013 - 11:31 PM.

#37 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

I have one of those big Cutco knives, too.  :)

My 'ritual' knife lives in my pocket.  I use it for damn near everything except cutting veggies.  I like my kitchen knives for those.

I remember when I got it.  I oiled it and was working the joint and it bit me.  This was long before I ever heard of blooding a knife but that's exactly what it was.  That was the only time it's ever cut me.  There's been plenty of times that I've dropped it or slipped while using it that I probably should have cut me but it never did.

It was a really intense moment when I watched myself bleed and consecrated the knife with that blood.  I never had the desire to do that before.  I really had no idea why I did it but it seemed so natural that I went with it.  It was almost like a vague deja vu and a wavering almost memory that I couldn't quite latch onto.  I've had a very special relationship with this knife ever since. 

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#38 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Most of my practical day to day cutting work is done with scissors. I've go far more pairs of scissors than knives in my house. I find them a lot easier to use than knives which always need a surface to lean on. And pretty much all my scissors and all my knives have come across blood at some time though in the majority of cases that was more to do with clumsiness than intent. Needles incidentally I prefer for drawing blood. A sterile needle right into the boob, point down, bottom up and then a good squeeze to get a few drops out.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#39 Willau

Willau

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

I have a double edged letter opener..... does that work? I do beleive the reason that the reasoning of the double edge was a symbolism for balance, the point is to direct energy?

I do have a knife that I use solely for my herbs. Not for any real reason other than it does the job well without bruising the tender leaves. 

My letter opener really does look pretty witchy. ;)

#40 Moondark

Moondark

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

I have a knife, but not an 'athame'. Where did that word even come from? 

Ahem. Mine's more of a small dagger than anything else. I use it mainly for cutting and carving. 

My favorite thing about it is that the handle's hollow, like an army-knife. I can place written sigils and herbs inside it, depending on what I'm doing. 

Edited by Moondark, 23 October 2013 - 10:08 PM.