Time management/Inspiration

Bast13

Hi all, new here... I'm just curious, as I sit here folding mounds of laundry, after a full day of work and then taking care of a toddler, preparing meals, etc... etc...

How do you make time practice your craft in days that are seemingly packed with mundane "regular" activities? I'm new and just learning and I can barely get a minute to read this forum (I had to pause Project runway!), let alone a book or do research on folklore, divination, etc.

Just curious... and exhausted,

Bast13 ;)

Time is limited indeed, i often lose one or two activities in the schedule. No need to sweat it...

Just careful not to do things half-hearted. Every process, shape and creature may just as well have a secret to teach.

Who lives in your house? (Not referring to humans, lol.) You can talk to your house while you're folding laundry (I often have running monologues going... There's a reason witches were depicted as crazy old women "always muttering to themselves"). You can make a shopping list whilst you're sitting in the garden and tell the garden about your day - about what you're buying and who likes the broccoli and who thinks it doesn't taste good. Yes, what lives in your house and yard probably already knows this, but it's polite to interact. Not to ignore and just call on these things when you have spell-work to do. They're part of your life, your family, your kindred. Spend three minutes in the morning and the evening telling your yard (or your house if no yard) about your day, your worries, your hopes. The things that listen are the things you are looking to befriend or have as allies. When you rush out the door in the mornings, tell the house where you're going, when you'll be back, and to keep an eye on things. Develop a relationship with the unseen, and it will become a part of your life all the time, and you won't need to "fit it in" between mundane chores :-)

M

Besides people... hmm. Many plants surround the house. My room is often filled with spider webs... and wherever it is that makes some objects move on their own every now and them.

My relationship with them is different than yours somehow. I don't talk much, but i often push an ant to the webs, make conversation with the spiders and leave my hammock armed every time i travel (i don't like beds)... my family says it is a bad omen, that it attracts spirits or something. I don't care much, my room is quite separated from the main house, and even tough i know the enviroment i live in is not exactly human friendly, i coundn't want it any other way.

Oh! The Exiled Goddess, what a wonderful perspective! Thanks all, my spirits are lifted! And my laundry is folded too!

B

Who lives in your house? (Not referring to humans, lol.) You can talk to your house while you're folding laundry (I often have running monologues going... There's a reason witches were depicted as crazy old women "always muttering to themselves"). You can make a shopping list whilst you're sitting in the garden and tell the garden about your day - about what you're buying and who likes the broccoli and who thinks it doesn't taste good. Yes, what lives in your house and yard probably already knows this, but it's polite to interact. Not to ignore and just call on these things when you have spell-work to do. They're part of your life, your family, your kindred. Spend three minutes in the morning and the evening telling your yard (or your house if no yard) about your day, your worries, your hopes. The things that listen are the things you are looking to befriend or have as allies. When you rush out the door in the mornings, tell the house where you're going, when you'll be back, and to keep an eye on things. Develop a relationship with the unseen, and it will become a part of your life all the time, and you won't need to "fit it in" between mundane chores :-)

M

This kind of advice really inspires me. Its so easy to get bogged down with all the things you "have" to do. I respect the integrated way Michele approaches the synthesis of mundane life and craft. It makes me look at all my jobs with new eyes and interest...

M is right, I do the same sort of thing. Mind you, if there is anyone about, they'll think you've fallen off your stone entirely. In the end tho, who cares?

There's worse things than everyone thinking you're a wee bit mental :nana:

Hi Bast, I'm new at practicing as well, and have two kids, a dog and two jobs. Since I have been on this forum I have learned so much. I really feel it starting to come together, naturally, the way I've felt it should. Mind you, I have a long ways to go, but every little step I take is a wonderful, calming, experience that is all mine. I do read many books on craft in whatever spare time I have and have not wanted to stray and read any other subject. I have to admit I had many doubts if I could really become a witch But I am just so drawn to the whole thing that there's no turning back for me. Even when I'm crazy busy, I really find time to do a little something, and when I have something in the works, I focus on that several times a day. In the last couple of months I have made some pretty awesome accomplishments on things I was working on via spell work and truly focusing on these areas. I do feel however I would not have been able to get to this point without this website. There are so many inspiring people filled with so much wisdom.

I am the last person to be giving advice on this site, buuuuuut LOL, from one newbie to another, forget Project Runway and read away on this site as well as books, and practice, practice, practice. Start with just a little something you feel comfortable with, something you feel drawn to and just make a little time everyday and explore it. Now when I walk my dog, the streets I have walked up and down with her for years seem as if I moved to a new neighborhood. I even do some spells when I walk her. And so far they have worked!

I now have a few planned for my new job, hopefully they'll work as planned also.

Like Michelle said if you talk, they will listen, I am a true believer in that! All the best to you.

Kera

I agree with M. Weave it into your daily (and nightly) activities & make it a part of you. You will learn how to interact with with the unseen, while doing all the mundane things.

A great way to start if you are new to your path, is to educate yourself about what ever floats your boat, by just taking 1 or 2 things at a time & spend your normal, daily routine with them.

For instance:

What ever you chose to learn how to utilze in your craft, lets say the elements & you want to learn how to use air, take however much time you need to be aware of it. Feel it, breathe it, listen to it, notice the direction of the way you feel it, the power of it.

A great way to start a BOS, is to just jounal it. Have a little note book that you can carry with you. Electronic devices are fantastic for this. You can even multitask by maybe slipping a tarot card pick of the day & familiarize yourself with the card & how it speaks to you.

I could go on & on, but just make it a part of who you are. No extra time needed.

... Mind you, if there is anyone about, they'll think you've fallen off your stone entirely...

I say goodbye (and good morning) to my cubicle at work each day and tell whatever may be in there (I do have woods hung up in it) to keep an eye on the place until I get back. I've had people (including the owner of the firm) ask me who I'm talking to and I give them a weird look and say "my invisible friends" and they just laugh and go away, lol.

M

A great way to start a BOS, is to just jounal it. Have a little note book that you can carry with you. . . .

I agree about the value of journaling, but I don't know any Trads who use a BOS. That is generally considered wiccan terminology.

Whoops. Very true. LOL

My notes and doodles, spells, & such are all tucked into my collection of cookbooks. Suppose I could call it a grimoire? I prefer to call it my lil clusterfuck. :D

I took a day off to decompress, sat quietly to clear my head and did what you all suggested and I turned to an old set of runes my father bought me as a child. I can not even express what positive results I had... my path in this direction was made clear! Now to follow all this advice and keep reading and learning, that's up to me! Thanks again!

• 1 year later...

Archived