Photo
- - - - -

Pendulum - Let it tell you the direction of Yes/No, or do you tell it?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

What do you do. Personally, I like the idea of programming it. For those who let the pendulum make the decision (subconscious mind), do you do the acid test each time before you divine or just the first time you initiate the pendulum into use?

#2 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:41 AM

I ask a question I know to be "no" and see what it does, the same for "yes". So I let it choose and I do so each time I pick it up. Unfortunately, even after that is established, it is not consistent. I have come to conclusion that I am THE worse pendulum user ever to derp around with a thing on a chain!

And it is so *simple* I just don't get why I am so awful at it . . .

You know what's weird is that I was half decent at it until I let my son use my first pendulum. It went *wild* with him! And it would not work for me afterwards and so, obviously, it was his, so I gave it to him and bought myself another. THAT one seemed better suited to my other son, so I bought myself yet another that seemed right for me. But I still suck. ??

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#3 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

I say "Show me no." and wait for it to move, then "Show me yes." and then go on to my divination.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#4 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

I have done both but I like to set ground rules of up and down= yes like a nod of the head and side to side =no like a shake of the head. Most human spirits answer in this way anyway I have found because it is familiar.

#5 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Oooooh, so excited this topic came up!!! I just started using the pendulum, I have so many questions. I'm getting really caught up with the whole protection thing. I came across a website, can't remember for the life of me which one, I think it was some psychic site I stumbled on while looking up info on divination/pendulum. So this person wrote a whole big story on how you must protect yourself! I do believe that I should, but it seems like such a process that I've now put off practicing because I am now trying to find a quick and full proof way to protect before divining. What do you all think. I think I can't get out of my own way sometimes because of my detailed oriented Virgo self!

Kera

Why Pamper Life's Complexities When the Leather Runs Smooth On The Passenger Seat -Morrissey

#6 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

I have done both but I like to set ground rules of up and down= yes like a nod of the head and side to side =no like a shake of the head. Most human spirits answer in this way anyway I have found because it is familiar.

I've done both as well, but when I let it chose, it seems to like to lie, so I tell it the direction (same as yours..interesting about spirits - thanks), and it seems to work for me. I also, tell it that it can only tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, lol - how can you tell I worked in Justice.

#7 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

Oooooh, so excited this topic came up!!! I just started using the pendulum, I have so many questions. I'm getting really caught up with the whole protection thing. I came across a website, can't remember for the life of me which one, I think it was some psychic site I stumbled on while looking up info on divination/pendulum. So this person wrote a whole big story on how you must protect yourself! I do believe that I should, but it seems like such a process that I've now put off practicing because I am now trying to find a quick and full proof way to protect before divining. What do you all think. I think I can't get out of my own way sometimes because of my detailed oriented Virgo self!

Kera

Glad you like the topic Kera! I guess you would have to ask yourself what you need protection from when divining. The only thing I can think of that one might need protection from would be otherworld beings that might not be so nice and are attracted to what you are doing. But, if you already have protection (like any good witch should, any bad witch too, lol) then why put up more. Do water diviners protect themselves, I suspect not, but since I've never met one, I could be mistaken.

#8 Lexi

Lexi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

I usually 'program' my pendulum to do what I want, depending on the purpose. I use it to answer yes/no questions, but I also use it to measure energy (and energy disturbances, if I'm healing) and to locate things that I've lost. So depending on the purpose, I need to put that intent and expectation of behavior into the pendulum before it will be of any practical use to me.

Edited by Lexi, 26 March 2013 - 06:23 PM.

Lexi [Ilexys Morighannan]

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
- Roald Dahl

#9 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

Glad you like the topic Kera! I guess you would have to ask yourself what you need protection from when divining. The only thing I can think of that one might need protection from would be otherworld beings that might not be so nice and are attracted to what you are doing. But, if you already have protection (like any good witch should, any bad witch too, lol) then why put up more. Do water diviners protect themselves, I suspect not, but since I've never met one, I could be mistaken.

What sort of protection do you mean? The only protection I have is the velvet pouch I carry around with me with personal protection pieces in it. Yes, I am a bit leary of other entities making themselves welcome in my home. I think I'll do a smudge before doing it and keep a white candle lit. Also, what is the difference btwn the Quija board and doing the pendulum?

Kera

Why Pamper Life's Complexities When the Leather Runs Smooth On The Passenger Seat -Morrissey

#10 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

I usually 'program' my pendulum to do what I want, depending on the purpose. I use it to answer yes/no questions, but I also use it to measure energy (and energy disturbances, if I'm healing) and to locate things that I've lost. So depending on the purpose, I need to put that intent and expectation of behavior into the pendulum before it will be of any practical use to me.

Cool. I haven't used it for the other things you mentioned, will have to try it some time.

#11 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

What sort of protection do you mean? The only protection I have is the velvet pouch I carry around with me with personal protection pieces in it. Yes, I am a bit leary of other entities making themselves welcome in my home. I think I'll do a smudge before doing it and keep a white candle lit. Also, what is the difference btwn the Quija board and doing the pendulum?

Kera

Generally, I think the pendulum is not a specific tool for spirit contact, although you could use it for that, in which case it would be acting like an Ouija board. You could use the pendulum instead of the planchette.

As far as protection. I think it would be mainly against spirit/entities attracted, but I think this would be mainly if you used the pendulum for spirit contact, but you never know when something may be attracted to you even if using for other things.

Every time I go to a graveyard, something follows me home - free loaders, LOL.

#12 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

Do water diviners protect themselves, I suspect not, but since I've never met one, I could be mistaken.

The guy that dowsed for our well didn't do a damned thing to "protect himself". As a matter of fact, he'd probably wig out if you mentioned anything akin to spirit contact. He just grabbed his dowsing rod out of his truck (forked stick of something - I'm bad with tree identification) and went to work. Took him about 10 minutes to find the best spot to drill. (Here you don't have to look for water - there are underground springs all over the place. It's just a question of how much water. We have the next best thing to an artesian well.)

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#13 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

My Grandpa used to dowse when he was digging wells for a living, he never protected himself before doing it. He considered himself protected all the time by his long term practices, no need for additional folderol.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#14 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

I have a leak in my livingroom , well it occasionally leaks and we don't know where it's coming from. We had the whole thing repaired 2 yrs ago, a really big job and this Christmas the ceiling started to leak again. I am going to try both the pendulum and the rods and see if I can figure it out. Thanks Ladies!!!

Kera

#15 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

My Grandpa used to dowse when he was digging wells for a living, he never protected himself before doing it. He considered himself protected all the time by his long term practices, no need for additional folderol.

Folderol...had to google that one. Thanks for the info Aloe.

#16 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:24 AM

The guy that dowsed for our well didn't do a damned thing to "protect himself". As a matter of fact, he'd probably wig out if you mentioned anything akin to spirit contact. He just grabbed his dowsing rod out of his truck (forked stick of something - I'm bad with tree identification) and went to work. Took him about 10 minutes to find the best spot to drill. (Here you don't have to look for water - there are underground springs all over the place. It's just a question of how much water. We have the next best thing to an artesian well.)

LOL at the spirt comment. He found you an ample source?

#17 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:56 AM

I've done both as well, but when I let it chose, it seems to like to lie, so I tell it the direction (same as yours..interesting about spirits - thanks), and it seems to work for me. I also, tell it that it can only tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, lol - how can you tell I worked in Justice.

Now maybe that is what has been happening to me! Maybe I don't suck at pendulums, maybe I have a mischievous one who prefers to work with kids, (my boys), and not adults(me). I am going to try that!! Be more assertive! Darn it! :thumbsup: Use my "Mom" voice . . .

Edited by Lynn, 27 March 2013 - 02:02 AM.

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#18 Willau

Willau

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

For me, like most everything else, a pendulum is just a tool. Tools can be used in many ways. I have never put much into the direction of the swing. It is the reflection of the facets of the crystal that is swinging. And "that" is just me...

I have never felt a need for protection, per say.

Edited by Willau, 27 March 2013 - 02:12 AM.

#19 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:01 AM

Pendulum, ok. Just not one of my favorite tools, at the moment. No reason; I just go back and forth with different tools. I could change my mind tomorrow. I have a number of pendulum type tools, gathered from different times in my life. I use mine for dowsing and other locating types of work. I am not inclined to perform yes/no divinatory work. If those are the only options, the issue or question probably isn't worth asking about in the first place.

#20 Havilland

Havilland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:09 AM

I am not inclined to perform yes/no divinatory work. If those are the only options, the issue or question probably isn't worth asking about in the first place.

This is exactly where I am right now. I like my pendulum and am not against using it, but generally if I'm looking for guidance from spirit it's more than a yes or no answer. There are other ways I've used it, but right now it's not something I reach for.