Koyaanisqatsi

Scott

There are some films that like life or initiation defy any description or analysis - they simply needs must be experienced.

The 1982 film Koyaanisqatsi (Hopi for "Life out of Balance") is the first of a sequence. It is an hour and a half of Philip Glass and moments of vision from around the globe which never fails to sober and require answer to the question "My god - what have we done?"

This was followed by Powaqqatsi ("Life in Transition") and Naqoyqatsi ("Life as War") and the first two were really the basis that without the more commonly known Baraka would not have occurred.

This is one set of films to find ... but be warned that they take no prisioners and you won't be laughing.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings A.W

And Bad Scott too ... I was actually thinking on Thursday that I hadn't actually said much about them. I think you are in for a treat D. the first viewing of these films is viewed as a precious time by many people I know. They are a trilogy of films that are basically hour and a half film long clips set to the music of Mr Glass.

The visuals are like National Geographic filming with no narration and make the point of each name to the point of visual and moral agony .

I will say I am most certainly no Greenie (although I WAS as a child at certain famous rallies over here quite actively) but I have yet to meet anyone who is ever quite the same after watching these films.

I have just watched Naqoyqatsi this last week and frankly still am a bit technophobic over it. It's stance, that all life is now or can now be considered to be within the purview of technology as a host organism is dramatically and powerfully made in ways that took me from cynical chuckling to real discomfort and back again several times.

As was said in the extras of this one by a part of the creative team. There should be art that pushes the boundaries so we find out where ours are. I could not agree more.

Fraternally

Scott

Greetings Scott,

WOW :shock:

I watched Koyaaniqatsi last night, it is POWERFUL!

A film that is definitely experienced not simply watched. Words are inadequate to describe it, this is a film and that either enters into you and speaks to your soul or doesn't, as you said Scott it takes no prisoners.

I felt increasingly sick in the pit of my stomach as the film went on, the images at high speed flood the mind yet are taken in and, as you said, require answers to the question 'What have we done, how do we turn this around' .. The start and end scenes of nature, with the 'Hopi' (I think) hand paintings on a rock wall brings forcefully to mind just how far we've become out of balance with nature.

I'm waiting on amazon sending the other films in the series, hopefully receive them this week.

Thanks for suggesting this film Scott, I'd say this is required viewing.