• ENTJ
    • ENTP
    • ENFJ
    • ENFP
    • INTJ
    • INTP
    • INFJ
    • INFP

Anyone care to take the test and add your results? I have a hypothesis that the trad witch community will have a rather different differential spread than the population at large...

Also, do you feel that your test results are an accurate representation of you as an individual? I'm very curious if the Forer Effect is applicable to this particular test.

The test can be found here: http://www.humanmetr...win/JTypes2.asp

Thanks ladies and gentlemen!

-Aurelian

Edited to add: Yikes, the poll colors are terrible, but can be highlighted to make them more visible!

Edited by Aurelian

So I am an INFJ. Whatever that really means. I read the description, but it was late and I was falling asleep. I will re-read it later and see if I agree with what the results said.

of course I also feel special because apparently only 1-3% of the population will be an INFJ, so I am a rare bird. LMAO

Edited by RavenFlyer

So in rereading the INFJ analysis I feel like it does describe me fairly well.

People with INFJ personalities tend to exhibit the following characteristics:

• Idealistic
  • Sensitive to the needs of others
  • Highly creative and artistic
  • Reserved
  • Focused on the future
  • Private
  • Values close, deep relationships
  • Enjoys thinking about the meaning of life

INFJs are driven by their strong values and seek out meaning in all areas of their lives including relationships and work. People with this type of personality are often described as deep and complex.

INFJs have an innate ability to understand other people's feelings. While they are introverted, they sometimes seem extroverted at times due to their strong interest in people and society. INFJs are interested in helping others and making the world a better place. They tend to be excellent listeners and are good at interacting with people which whom they are emotionally close and connected. While they care deeply about others, INFJs tend to be very introverted and are only willing to share their "true selves" with a select few. After being in social situations, INFJs need time to themselves to "recharge."

INFJs also have a talent for language and are usually quite good at expressing themselves on paper. They have a vivid inner life, but they are often hesitant to share this with others except for perhaps those closest to them. While they are quiet and sensitive, they can also be good leaders. Even when they don't take on overt leadership roles, they often act as quiet influencers behind the scenes.

In school, INFJs are usually high achievers and get good grades. They can be perfectionists at times and tend to put a great deal of effort into their academic work. INFJs enjoy learning, particularly about people, society, literature and art. They tend to prefer studying subjects that involves abstract theories and ideas rather than concrete facts and information.

Because they are reserved and private, INFJs can be difficult to get to know. They place a high value on close, deep relationships and can be hurt easily, although they often hide these feelings from others.

Famous INFJs

By looking at their lives and works, researchers have suggested that a number of famous individuals exhibit personality traits consistent with the INFJ personality type. Some of these famed figures include:

• Billy Crystal, actor
  • Chaucer, poet
  • Gillian Anderson, actress
  • Nathaniel Hawthorne, author
  • Robert Burns, poet
  • Nicole Kidman, actress
  • Nelson Mandela, former President of South Africa
  • Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, writer
  • Robert Burns, poet
  • Martin Luther King, Jr., civil rights leader

Some fictional characters with INFJ personalities include:

• Luke Skywalker, Star Wars
  • Amelie Poulain, Amelie
  • The Tinman, The Wizard of Oz

Best Careers for INFJs

INFJs do well in careers where they can express their creativity. Because people with INFJ personality have such deeply held convictions and values, they do particularly well in jobs that support these principles.

• Artist
  • Actor
  • Entrepreneur
  • Religious worker
  • Musician
  • Librarian
  • Counselor
  • Psychologist
  • Writer
  • Teacher
  • Photographer

References

Heiss, M. M. (2010). Introverted Intuiting Feeling Judging. TypeLogic. Retrieved from http://typelogic.com/infj.html

Idealist: Portrait of the Counselor (INFJ). Keirsey.com. Retrieved from http://keirsey.com/4...s/counselor.asp

Myers, I. B. (1998). Introduction to Type: A Guide to Understanding your Results on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Mountain View, CA: CPP, Inc.

The Myers & Briggs Foundation. (n.d.). The 16 MBTI Types. http://www.myersbrig...-mbti-types.asp

INTJ

INTJ (introversion, intuition, thinking, judgment) is an abbreviation used in the publications of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) to refer to one of the sixteen personality types.[1]

INTJs are one of the rarest of the sixteen personality types, and account for about 1–4% of the population

INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake ... INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types, perhaps in part because they possess the unusual trait of combining imagination and reliability. Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ; both perfectionism and disregard for authority come into play. Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel ... This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals ... Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense.

—Marina Margaret Heiss[12]

INTJs are analytical. Like INTPs, they are most comfortable working alone and tend to be less sociable than other types. Nevertheless, INTJs are prepared to lead if no one else seems up to the task, or if they see a major weakness in the current leadership. They tend to be pragmatic, logical, and creative. They have a low tolerance for spin or rampant emotionalism. They are not generally susceptible tocatchphrases and do not readily accept authority based on tradition, rank, or title.

INTJs are strong individualists who seek new angles or novel ways of looking at things. They enjoy coming to new understandings. They tend to be insightful and mentally quick; however, this mental quickness may not always be outwardly apparent to others since they keep a great deal to themselves. They are very determined people who trust their vision of the possibilities, regardless of what others think. They may even be considered the most independent of all of the sixteen personality types. INTJs are at their best in quietly and firmly developing their ideas, theories, and principles.

—Sandra Krebs Hirsch[13]

Hallmarks of the INTJ include independence of thought and a desire for efficiency. They work best when given autonomy and creative freedom. They harbor an innate desire to express themselves by conceptualizing their own intellectual designs. They have a talent for analyzing and formulating complex theories. INTJs are generally well-suited for occupations within academia, research, consulting, management, science, engineering, and law. They are often acutely aware of their own knowledge and abilities—as well as their limitations and what they don't know (a quality that tends to distinguish them from INTPs). INTJs thus develop a strong confidence in their ability and talents, making them natural leaders.

In forming relationships, INTJs tend to seek out others with similar character traits and ideologies. Agreement on theoretical concepts is an important aspect of their relationships. By nature INTJs can be demanding in their expectations, and approach relationships in a rational manner. As a result, INTJs may not always respond to a spontaneous infatuation but wait for a mate who better fits their set criteria. They tend to be stable, reliable, and dedicated. Harmony in relationships and home life tends to be extremely important to them. They generally withhold strong emotion and do not like to waste time with what they consider irrational social rituals. This may cause non-INTJs to perceive them as distant and reserved; nevertheless, INTJs are usually very loyal partners who are prepared to commit substantial energy and time into a relationship to make it work.

As mates, INTJs want harmony and order in the home and in relationships. The most independent of all types,[14] INTJs trust their intuition when choosing friends and mates—even in spite of contradictory evidence or pressure from others. The emotions of an INTJ are hard to read, and neither male nor female INTJs are apt to express emotional reactions. At times, INTJs seem cold, reserved, and unresponsive, while in fact they are almost hypersensitive to signals of rejection from those they care for. In social situations, INTJs may also be unresponsive and may neglect small rituals designed to put others at ease. For example, INTJs may communicate that idle dialogue such as small talk is a waste of time. This may create the impression that the INTJ is in a hurry—an impression that is not always intended. In their interpersonal relationships, INTJs are usually better in a working situation than in a recreational situation.

I wasn't so sure this fit me when I first got the result, till I read this sentence "INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms." Yep, this is me. lol

Edited by Aloe

So I am an INFJ. Whatever that really means. I read the description, but it was late and I was falling asleep. I will re-read it later and see if I agree with what the results said.

of course I also feel special because apparently only 1-3% of the population will be an INFJ, so I am a rare bird. LMAO

Awesome :) I thought this might be a bit of fun, and maybe informative(we'll see!). :vhappywitch:

Guest princesspickingill

I am an INFP

I wasn't so sure this fit me when I first got the result, till I read this sentence "INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms." Yep, this is me. lol

I've always thought this test was pretty accurate! I suppose I should share too, I've tested as ENFP since the first I took as a teen, and it fits me to a T. Website says I'm best buds with INFJ's as well(RF :biggrin2: ), and I must get along with INTJ's too methinks :smile:

Edited by Aurelian

This is interesting. A lot of it is spot on, but I am NOT good at learning languages, unless immersed in it, and I HATE politics! And activism too for that matter. But geez, some of this is uncanny.

INFJ

Introvert(56%) iNtuitive(50%) Feeling(38%) Judging(1%)

• You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (56%)
  • You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (50%)
  • You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (38%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Judging over Perceiving (1%)

infj_block.jpg

Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging

by Joe Butt Profile: INFJ

Revision: 3.1

Date of Revision: 8 Aug 2010

Beneath the quiet exterior, INFJs hold deep convictions about the weightier matters of life. Those who are activists -- INFJs gravitate toward such a role -- are there for the cause, not for personal glory or political power.

INFJs are champions of the oppressed and downtrodden. They often are found in the wake of an emergency, rescuing those who are in acute distress. INFJs may fantasize about getting revenge on those who victimize the defenseless. The concept of 'poetic justice' is appealing to the INFJ.

"There's something rotten in Denmark." Accurately suspicious about others' motives, INFJs are not easily led. These are the people that you can rarely fool any of the time. Though affable and sympathetic to most, INFJs are selective about their friends. Such a friendship is a symbiotic bond that transcends mere words.

INFJs have a knack for fluency in language and facility in communication. In addition, nonverbal sensitivity enables the INFJ to know and be known by others intimately.

Writing, counseling, public service and even politics are areas where INFJs frequently find their niche.

Functional Analysis:

Introverted iNtuition

Introverted intuitives, INFJs enjoy a greater clarity of perception of inner, unconscious processes than all but their INTJ cousins. Just as SP types commune with the object and "live in the here and now" of the physical world, INFJs readily grasp the hidden psychological stimuli behind the more observable dynamics of behavior and affect. Their amazing ability to deduce the inner workings of the mind, will and emotions of others gives INFJs their reputation as prophets and seers. Unlike the confining, routinizing nature of introverted sensing, introverted intuition frees this type to act insightfully and spontaneously as unique solutions arise on an event by event basis.

Extraverted Feeling

Extraverted feeling, the auxiliary deciding function, expresses a range of emotion and opinions of, for and about people. INFJs, like many other FJ types, find themselves caught between the desire to express their wealth of feelings and moral conclusions about the actions and attitudes of others, and the awareness of the consequences of unbridled candor. Some vent the attending emotions in private, to trusted allies. Such confidants are chosen with care, for INFJs are well aware of the treachery that can reside in the hearts of mortals. This particular combination of introverted intuition and extraverted feeling provides INFJs with the raw material from which perceptive counselors are shaped.

Introverted Thinking

The INFJ's thinking is introverted, turned toward the subject. Perhaps it is when the INFJ's thinking function is operative that he is most aloof. A comrade might surmise that such detachment signals a disillusionment, that she has also been found lacking by the sardonic eye of this one who plumbs the depths of the human spirit. Experience suggests that such distancing is merely an indication that the seer is hard at work and focusing energy into this less efficient tertiary function.

Extraverted Sensing

INFJs are twice blessed with clarity of vision, both internal and external. Just as they possess inner vision which is drawn to the forms of the unconscious, they also have external sensing perception which readily takes hold of worldly objects. Sensing, however, is the weakest of the INFJ's arsenal and the most vulnerable. INFJs, like their fellow intuitives, may be so absorbed in intuitive perceiving that they become oblivious to physical reality. The INFJ under stress may fall prey to various forms of immediate gratification. Awareness of extraverted sensing is probably the source of the "SP wannabe" side of INFJs. Many yearn to live spontaneously; it's not uncommon for INFJ actors to take on an SP (often ESTP) role.

Famous INFJs:

Nathan, prophet of Israel

Aristophanes

Chaucer

Goethe

Robert Burns, Scottish poet U.S. Presidents: Martin Van Buren James Earl "Jimmy" Carter

Nathaniel Hawthorne

Fanny Crosby, (blind) hymnist

Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Fred McMurray (My Three Sons)

Shirley Temple Black, child actor, ambassador

Martin Luther King, Jr., civil rights leader, martyr

James Reston, newspaper reporter

Shirley MacLaine (Sweet Charity, ...)

Piers Anthony, author ("Xanth" series)

Michael Landon (Little House on the Prairie)

Tom Selleck

John Katz, critic, author

Paul Stookey (Peter, Paul and Mary)

U. S. Senator Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL)

Billy Crystal

Garry Trudeau (Doonesbury)

Nelson Mandela

Mel Gibson

Carrie Fisher

Nicole Kidman

Jerry Seinfeld

Jamie Foxx

Sela Ward

Mark Harmon

Gary Dourdan

Marg Helgaberger

Evangeline Lilly

Tori May

Introverted iNtuiting Feeling Judging

by Marina Margaret Heiss

INFJs are distinguished by both their complexity of character and the unusual range and depth of their talents. Strongly humanitarian in outlook, INFJs tend to be idealists, and because of their J preference for closure and completion, they are generally "doers" as well as dreamers. This rare combination of vision and practicality often results in INFJs taking a disproportionate amount of responsibility in the various causes to which so many of them seem to be drawn.

INFJs are deeply concerned about their relations with individuals as well as the state of humanity at large. They are, in fact, sometimes mistaken for extroverts because they appear so outgoing and are so genuinely interested in people -- a product of the Feeling function they most readily show to the world. On the contrary, INFJs are true introverts, who can only be emotionally intimate and fulfilled with a chosen few from among their long-term friends, family, or obvious "soul mates." While instinctively courting the personal and organizational demands continually made upon them by others, at intervals INFJs will suddenly withdraw into themselves, sometimes shutting out even their intimates. This apparent paradox is a necessary escape valve for them, providing both time to rebuild their depleted resources and a filter to prevent the emotional overload to which they are so susceptible as inherent "givers." As a pattern of behavior, it is perhaps the most confusing aspect of the enigmatic INFJ character to outsiders, and hence the most often misunderstood -- particularly by those who have little experience with this rare type.

Due in part to the unique perspective produced by this alternation between detachment and involvement in the lives of the people around them, INFJs may well have the clearest insights of all the types into the motivations of others, for good and for evil. The most important contributing factor to this uncanny gift, however, are the empathic abilities often found in Fs, which seem to be especially heightened in the INFJ type (possibly by the dominance of the introverted N function).

This empathy can serve as a classic example of the two-edged nature of certain INFJ talents, as it can be strong enough to cause discomfort or pain in negative or stressful situations. More explicit inner conflicts are also not uncommon in INFJs; it is possible to speculate that the causes for some of these may lie in the specific combinations of preferences which define this complex type. For instance, there can sometimes be a "tug-of-war" between NF vision and idealism and the J practicality that urges compromise for the sake of achieving the highest priority goals. And the I and J combination, while perhaps enhancing self-awareness, may make it difficult for INFJs to articulate their deepest and most convoluted feelings.

Usually self-expression comes more easily to INFJs on paper, as they tend to have strong writing skills. Since in addition they often possess a strong personal charisma, INFJs are generally well-suited to the "inspirational" professions such as teaching (especially in higher education) and religious leadership. Psychology and counseling are other obvious choices, but overall, INFJs can be exceptionally difficult to pigeonhole by their career paths. Perhaps the best example of this occurs in the technical fields. Many INFJs perceive themselves at a disadvantage when dealing with the mystique and formality of "hard logic", and in academic terms this may cause a tendency to gravitate towards the liberal arts rather than the sciences. However, the significant minority of INFJs who do pursue studies and careers in the latter areas tend to be as successful as their T counterparts, as it is *iNtuition* -- the dominant function for the INFJ type -- which governs the ability to understand abstract theory and implement it creatively.

In their own way, INFJs are just as much "systems builders" as are INTJs; the difference lies in that most INFJ "systems" are founded on human beings and human values, rather than information and technology. Their systems may for these reasons be conceptually "blurrier" than analogous NT ones, harder to measure in strict numerical terms, and easier to take for granted -- yet it is these same underlying reasons which make the resulting contributions to society so vital and profound.

Well, I took it and reading the explanation, it doesn't sound like me, lol. But also, I didn't get half the questions. Someone tired to give me a psychological test once, and I had to keep asking them what the hell the questions meant - I mean "You prefer "x" to "z"", well that would depend entirely on the situation the question is applied to, lol. Anyway, it just said "you are a mass of contradictions. Please turn off your computer and dial 911" lol

M

Edited by Michele
  • Upvote 1

INTJ

Do not have to take the quiz to know. I teach classes on trait based assessments. :)

• Upvote 1

Well, I took it and reading the explanation, it doesn't sound like me, lol. But also, I didn't get half the questions. Someone tired to give me a psychological test once, and I had to keep asking them what the hell the questions meant - I mean "You prefer "x" to "z"", well that would depend entirely on the situation the question is applied to, lol. Anyway, it just said "you are a mass of contradictions. Please turn off your computer and dial 911" lol

M

I would have *hated* to be any of your math teachers giving you sentence problems! Lol

M

I am very much the same. I got answers about theoretical science and people who are 'like me' included Stephen Hawking. I didn't take Physics at all when I was in school and I stopped doing science in year 9 sooooo I'm not entirely sure on the accuracy of the test as it pertains to me, but given that the questions were yes/no leaves little room for true assessment of the person. Like Michelle said, my answers, to a degree, would rest entirely on the particular situation at the time.

INTJ

Yup, me too...INTJ

I'm an INTJ. I've been gettin that result since I was a kid too... And still did! I find it really does describe me pretty well. I might not appear like it from first glance though, but yeah.

I got the same this time as I did in college. Not surprising, though, I may bookmark this so hubby can finally understand my apparent mood flips when I want to be around people one minute and alone away from people the next.

INFJ

Introvert(78%) iNtuitive(62%) Feeling(62%) Judging(1%)

• You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (78%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (62%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Feeling over Thinking (62%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Judging over Perceiving (1%)

Beneath the quiet exterior, INFJs hold deep convictions about the weightier matters of life. Those who are activists -- INFJs gravitate toward such a role -- are there for the cause, not for personal glory or political power.

INFJs are champions of the oppressed and downtrodden. They often are found in the wake of an emergency, rescuing those who are in acute distress. INFJs may fantasize about getting revenge on those who victimize the defenseless. The concept of 'poetic justice' is appealing to the INFJ.

"There's something rotten in Denmark." Accurately suspicious about others' motives, INFJs are not easily led. These are the people that you can rarely fool any of the time. Though affable and sympathetic to most, INFJs are selective about their friends. Such a friendship is a symbiotic bond that transcends mere words.

INFJs have a knack for fluency in language and facility in communication. In addition, nonverbal sensitivity enables the INFJ to know and be known by others intimately.

Writing, counseling, public service and even politics are areas where INFJs frequently find their niche.

Literature and Writing

Humanities

Graphic Design and Multimedia

Archaeology

Anthropology

Psychology

Counseling

Religious Education

INTJ

Introvert(89%) iNtuitive(38%) Thinking(1%) Judging(56%)

• You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (89%)
  • You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (38%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (1%)
  • You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (56%)

This is the result I've gotten since I was a wee one. However, as I've gotten older my Thinking versus Feeling percentage has gotten smaller. Don't know what that says about me. :biggrin:

This section in particular is EXACTLY me:

Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations.

This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals; for instance, they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most types consider half the fun of a relationship). To complicate matters, INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand. Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. :-) This sometimes results in a peculiar naivete', paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.

Edited by Evergreen47

The last time I took this test I got ENFP, with 1% preference for extraversion over introversion, and none of my other letters were very dominant over the others.

I thought this was a funny site: http://www.xeromag.com/fun/personality.html It gives humorous archetypes for the results. ENFP is a Cult Leader, others include The Mad Scientist and the Crackpot.

I have a hypothesis that the trad witch community will have a rather different differential spread than the population at large...

Also, do you feel that your test results are an accurate representation of you as an individual? I'm very curious if the Forer Effect is applicable to this particular test.

I feel my test results are accurate in some ways and not in others. I feel that it is correct regarding my preference for introversion and extraversion, but I don't really have a personal concept regarding the other areas. Is it likely that I judge exactly 11% more than I perceive? I highly doubt it, but I really have no idea how much I judge people versus perceiving them anyway. Edited by Wexler

I am a INTJ also, there appear to be quite a few of us with those letters lol., which maybe exactly what you where thinking. Maybe we should be adding them up and make a graph just for kicks.

I got curious because it got me thinking how that personality pertains to the general population and its the rarest one! Weird because here it appears to be the most common.

Edited by Athena

I am a INTJ also, there appear to be quite a few of us with those letters lol., which maybe exactly what you where thinking. Maybe we should be adding them up and make a graph just for kicks.

I got curious because it got me thinking how that personality pertains to the general population and its the rarest one! Weird because here it appears to be the most common.

You mean like the graph that appears at the beginning of the thread or something different? People only have to mark their results.

The graph isn't showing up on my iPad just a big white blank with circles? So I'm not sure I just looked through what people where saying where their results. I was wondering what it was lol .

I got INTP but i've taken this test before and got INTJ; descriptions of both fit :smile:  The part about extraverted feeling though... not me at all.

" Introvert(56%)  iNtuitive(88%)  Thinking(25%)  Perceiving(11%)

• You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (56%)
  • You have strong preference of Intuition over Sensing (88%)
  • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (25%)
  • You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (11%)

INTPs are pensive, analytical folks. They may venture so deeply into thought as to seem detached, and often actually are oblivious to the world around them.

Precise about their descriptions, INTPs will often correct others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a bit off. While annoying to the less concise, this fine discrimination ability gives INTPs so inclined a natural advantage as, for example, grammarians and linguists.

INTPs are relatively easy-going and amenable to almost anything until their principles are violated, about which they may become outspoken and inflexible. They prefer to return, however, to a reserved albeit benign ambiance, not wishing to make spectacles of themselves.

A major concern for INTPs is the haunting sense of impending failure. They spend considerable time second-guessing themselves. The open-endedness (from Perceiving) conjoined with the need for competence (NT) is expressed in a sense that one's conclusion may well be met by an equally plausible alternative solution, and that, after all, one may very well have overlooked some critical bit of data. An INTP arguing a point may very well be trying to convince himself as much as his opposition. In this way INTPs are markedly different from INTJs, who are much more confident in their competence and willing to act on their convictions.

Mathematics is a system where many INTPs love to play, similarly languages, computer systems--potentially any complex system. INTPs thrive on systems. Understanding, exploring, mastering, and manipulating systems can overtake the INTP's conscious thought. This fascination for logical wholes and their inner workings is often expressed in a detachment from the environment, a concentration where time is forgotten and extraneous stimuli are held at bay. Accomplishing a task or goal with this knowledge is secondary.

INTPs and Logic -- One of the tipoffs that a person is an INTP is his or her obsession with logical correctness. Errors are not often due to poor logic -- apparent faux pas in reasoning are usually a result of overlooking details or of incorrect context.

Games NTs seem to especially enjoy include Risk, Bridge, Stratego, Chess, Go, and word games of all sorts. (I have an ENTP friend that loves Boggle and its variations. We've been known to sit in public places and pick a word off a menu or mayonnaise jar to see who can make the most words from its letters on a napkin in two minutes.) The INTP mailing list has enjoyed a round of Metaphore, virtual volleyball, and a few 'finish the series' brain teasers.

INTPs in the main are not clannish. The INTP mailing list, with a readership now in triple figures, was in its incipience fraught with all the difficulties of the Panama canal: we had trouble deciding:

• whether or not there should be such a group,
  • exactly what such a group should be called, and
  • which of us would have to take the responsibility for organization and maintenance of the aforesaid group/club/whatever.

(INTP stands for Introvert, iNtuitive, Thinking, Perceiving and represents individual's preferences in four dimensions characterising personality type, according to Jung's and Briggs Myers' theories of personality type.)

Functional Analysis Of The INTP

Based on Jung’s framework of mental functions - by Joe Butt

Introverted Thinking

Introverted Thinking strives to extract the essence of the Idea from various externals that express it. In the extreme, this conceptual essence wants no form or substance to verify its reality. Knowing the Truth is enough for INTPs; the knowledge that this truth can (or could) be demonstrated is sufficient to satisfy the knower. "Cogito, ergo sum" expresses this prime directive quite succinctly.

In seasons of low energy level, or moments of single-minded concentration, the INTP is aloof and detached in a way that might even offend more relational or extraverted individuals.

Extraverted iNtuition

Intuition softens and socializes Thinking, fleshing out the brittle bones of truths formed in the dominant inner world. That which is is not negotiable; yet actual application diffuses knowledge to the extent that knowledge needs qualification and context to be of any consequence in this foreign world of substance.

If Thinking can desist, the INTP is free to brainstorm, calling up the perceptions of the unconscious (i.e., intuition) which are mirrored in patterns in the realm of matter, time and space. These perceptions, in the form of theories or hunches, must ultimately defer to the inner principles, or at least they must not negate them.

Intuition unchained gives birth to play. INTPs enjoy games, formal or impromptu, which coax analogies, patterns and theories from the unseen into spontaneous expression in a way that defies their own comprehension.

Introverted Sensing

Sensing is of a subjective, inner nature similar to that of the SJs. It supplies awareness of the forms of senses rather than the raw, analogic stimuli. Facts and figures seek to be cleaned up for comparison with an ever growing range of previously experienced input. Sensing assists intuition in sorting out and arranging information into the building blocks for Thinking's elaborate systems.

The internalizing nature of the INTP's Sensing function leaves a relative absence of environmental awareness (i.e., Extraverted Sensing), except when the environment is the current focus. Consciousness of such conditions is at best a sometime thing.

Extraverted Feeling

Feeling tends to be all or none. When present, the INTP's concern for others is intense, albeit naive. In a crisis, this feeling judgement is often silenced by the emergence of Thinking, who rushes in to avert chaos and destruction. In the absence of a clear principle, however, INTPs have been known to defer judgement and to allow decisions about interpersonal matters to be left hanging lest someone be offended or somehow injured. INTPs are at risk of being swept away by the shadow in the form of their own strong emotional impulses.

Famous INTPs:

by Joe Butt

Socrates
Rene Descartes
Blaise Pascal
Sir Isaac Newton U.S. Presidents:

• James Madison
  • John Quincy Adams
  • John Tyler
  • Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • Gerald Ford

William Harvey (pioneer in human physiology)
C. G. Jung, author of Psychological Types, etc.)
William James
Albert Einstein
Charles Darwin
Tom Foley (1989-1995: Speaker of the House--U.S. House of Representatives)
Henri Mancini
Bob Newhart
Jeff Bingaman, U.S. Senator (D.--NM)
Rick Moranis (Honey, I Shrunk The Kids)
Midori Ito (ice skater, Olympic silver medalist)
Tiger Woods

Fictional INTPs:

Tom and Fiona (Four Weddings and a Funeral)
Dr. Susan Lewis (ER)
Filburt (Rocko's Modern Life)

Typology of Westeros: personality types of the characters from A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy novel series (you may have seen its Game of Thrones TV adaptation). "

Edited by melusine

Sign in to follow this