Oz the Great and Powerful

CelticGypsy

I saw this movie in 3D this week, was a bit campy in spots. What I delighted in was the 2 sister Witches, Theodora and Evenora, they didn't take a blink when casting their magic it was fast and hard, period. I'd give this movie a 3 1/2 stars, wait till it comes out in DVD or can be rented. I did think the story was cool as far as how a low life carnival Magician became the Great Wizard of Oz. :)

Oh, I was wondering about going to see this today or not. I might wait for DVD then but it does sound good, thanks for the review :)

God this movie was shit. I waited patiently for this to come out since I first heard it was going into production back in...2011? Saw it the second day and still want my money back. I just thought the acting from James Franco was total crap. You need to live up to Frank Morgan, and this is how you do it? No dude, go home.

I was surprised at Mila Kunis; I went in expecting nothing but good things from her as Theodora, but she fell flat on her pretty face. The whole "I'm going to grimace, growl and puff out my titties to appear wicked" didn't sit well with me. But Evanora...fan-fucking-tastic! She was just the perfect amount of sexy wickedness. She really impressed me and was the only reason I didn't leave the theater.

And Glinda...is anyone else now waiting for the Glinda Wiccans to come skipping out of the broom closet spitting bubbles and glitter and shit? Gee can't wait. :yuck:

I'll give the movie 3 stars; Evanora to me is the saving grace of this movie, along with some of the cool special effects. I can't really recommend anyone actually pay to go see this in theaters. Wait for it to come out to Redbox or Netflix.

Sorry two thumbs down for me. I did appreciate that they tried to keep with the original as far as scenery/costumes and all, but oh my......the storyline, I felt as if I were in a field of poppys!

Kera

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I saw this when it came to Redbox.  I have the advantage that I get to watch stuff at work before I decide if I want to spend money on it. It was alright but alot of the acting was cheesy, but since I read the review here and saw snip-its at work, I was expecting it. I had not read the books so I was surprised that the red witch turned in the classic Wicked Witch of the West (east? idk, the green faced one).  This movie has inspired me to track down the books to find out the whole story. 

I haven't seen this movie yet but I love the makeup sets that urban decay made Glinda /thedora they are amazing and super versatile. I'm not sure if anyone else here is into that type of thing but I thought I would toss it out there.

Archived