Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Athena

Memory palece

I learned to build a memory palece in collage from a really great teacher who had an unusual teaching methode that I found extreamly helpfull and slightly fascinating. My original construction was during a hystory of art class and so mine started out with intreresting artwork which as it happens is a really good thing. If you have never heard of a memory palece I would discribe it as a physical place with in your mind that you access during deep meditation. A memory palece techniquly can be any place as long as you know it well some say you can use blue prints and construct it from that but I would instead recommend some place you actually know very well. I use my great grandmas big rambling old home. No matter where it is you need to know it very well as in going to the bathroom in the pitch dark with no night lights well because it will allow you to access it easier and instead of worrying about where your at or going you can focus on the memories stored there. One note of cation you really do want to know the memory palece like the back of your hand otherwise its kind of pointless because you will always be trying to figure out where something is and frustration is not codusive to the process.

So now you know what building or place your memory palece will be constructed in so the next step is to start stocking it with memories. You can literaly use what ever you would like to hold the memory. I mentioned art some people use songs or other people to hold a memory you can be creative or literal what ever suits you. An example is in my memory palece I have a lot of sculptures like Nefertiti when I see that bust it holds the daetailed memory of Egyptian artwork That's very literal. On the other hand the painting of Venus de milo holds a very detailed memory of a trip to agate beach with my family where I can feel the sand under my feet and feel the bite of the wind as it ruffles my sons hair. The main thing is the corilation works for you. Now that's just two small iteams in a huge house and suddenly you can see why the memory palece is such a great and usefull place. You can stock it with as many iteams as you would like and every candal stick is a vivid memory but only if you take the time to build it correctly and focus on the iteam and having complete clarity in that memory focus on it on each and ever detail smells sounds touch you want an emersive experiance the more you focus the more complete it becomes then you might even discover things in the memory you didn't even think you old remember.

I have even added on to my original memory palace, I added a barn with horses they are the pets I grew up with and there I can visit with my old friends and stroke their fur smell their scent even ride dressage in the saddle with the smell of well oiled leather from my favorite saddle. In this way a memory palece can be a great comfort or relaxing. However you can also have a room to hold or acsses blocked memories where you can carefully go through the unopened boxes of a painful past. Or you can shut the door on a recurring memriy by shutting and locking the door so there it will remain untill if ever you want to deal with it.

One thing I do now when I realize I'm in a soon to be memory is actually think I want to remember this moment exactly. I'm not sure why but when I do that now I get a very vivid memry that's easily stored. It might be a little hard at first to get started because you will have lots of flashes of memories you want to store away in knincks and priceless art but go slowly treating each memory as the priceless treasure it is. I try to organize my rooms so like memories are together and in away that makes sense to you. So in the family room I mainly keep family memories in the study I keep things that are from classes. So when I pick up my high school biology book it has the seven stages of mitosis and bird species and facts. While the messy binder beside it holds the actual memories of the class and Ryan stealing my homework and hiding it so it was late and all my frustration over the whole incident as well as many others. You can get so fine that the flip of each page is a diffrent day or maybe you can actually reread the herbal you store there. The possabilitys are endless it's all a matter of how well you construct it and that you take care of it.

You can also use it to look into the future, I made a room for that spacificly where I have it set up for crossing over to the spirit realm. It's funny because it has all the trappings I don't actually use in real life a crystal ball a bowl of silvery water ( Harry potter) I added some of what I picture as Dumbldor's office complete with Fawkes lol. My point is do what works for you what triggers your mind to go where you want it to. In this way you can build an amazing palece in your mind that's as real as any place in this world. I hope I explained this clearly enough , if not I will happily answer any questions

Ahhh, I have a memory place, as you termed it, but I don't go into a deep meditation to go there, which was what was throwing me off, during the discussion. I won't describe it here, but it is equally as complex. Very nice post, Athena.

The term is memory palace :smile: I haven't ever used the technique but it's something that seems to be coming up a lot lately in popular culture (TV episodes especially of late!). There's a memory contest every year (I think it's yearly) in America and some, if not all, the contestants use this technique for remembering - it's really rather mind blowing to watch someone recite the order of an immense stream of numbers after only one glance at them!

With daily things (do correct me if I'm wrong here) it could be a list of things to do today: going to the zoo, take pictures of the polar bears, then playing poker with the girls (I know that's only three things lol but it'd be a long example otherwise). So for that you could, in your memory palace, imagine walking in the front door and seeing a cage being carried by a large man in a fur coat (symbolising the zoo and the polar bears in particular), then walk past him and sit down at a table to drink tea with the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland (playing poker with the girls). Not the best examples, I know lol but I think that's how it works? My brain just doesn't work that way with memories - I've tried when I first heard about it ages ago but I seem to remember things easier as-is.

But I think it's a very awesome skill to have, and learn, thank you for sharing an alternate way to use the memory palace technique Athena :smile: I had only ever heard of people using it in order to remember things, not as a place to house existing memories or to cross to the spirit realm. It's definitely food for thought there.

Remarkable and very interesting Post, Athena. I can't help but think of a Dream Catcher. All the little mental compartments that are within the mind, like vignettes or dioramas.

How a Dream Catcher filters out, yet allows some items to remain. Interesting !

Regards,

Gypsy

Thank you so much Athena. I know I was the one who nagged for the full explanation :hugs: x

I absolutely love how many uses for this there are and you explain the structure of how to construct it so well. Particularly like the idea of using a place you know well rather than conjuring images from imagination. I will find that a lot easier than designing a place from scratch.

You are a star writing this and its a big +1 from me

Rose x

Remarkable and very interesting Post, Athena. I can't help but think of a Dream Catcher. All the little mental compartments that are within the mind, like vignettes or dioramas.

How a Dream Catcher filters out, yet allows some items to remain. Interesting !

Regards,

Gypsy

I have contemplated the opposing forces between the two myself gypsy, because I too think there's something to the compartmentalization in each one and how thoughts/memories work. I have no scientific backing or research on it it's just my own personal musings that said when I'm creating a dream catcher they almost always turn out with a similar pattern even when I try to change it for some reason. It's almost like my consciousness dictates the shape and obviously my consciousness is what creates the memory palace. I find the way the brain works to be fascinating, my son has autism so this is a subject that in some form or another I have a lot. We have several dream catchers in our home and I have made lots of them over the years I even have how I make them in my memory palace in a dream catcher lol because I find the parallels interesting. I have to admit I wondered when I was creating it if it would filter negative energy there does it I am not sure I just know I find it very relaxing there.

I have wondered before about the compartments in the dream catcher which tradition says is a spiderweb and there are lots and lots of oral traditional stories as to how this came about. That said I have often thought that they also resemble the compartments in the brain at least to me.

Btw after retreading my original post I apologize for the misspells and grammatical errors that are everywhere! I have a app that is supposed to catch them but obviously it wasn't doing a very good job lol.

That's really fascinating. I have horrible memory, something like this would definitely come in handy.

I had one of these as a kid. It was very calming and restorative for me, and I visited it often. It was underdeveloped as a kid, quite bare and not very functional yet, but it was mine. Mine also had animals, not just pet buts others as well. It has changed a lot over time.

For more detailed information about this kind of work, may I recommend the writings of Giordano Bruno? Some translations are available online at sacred_texts.com and at the Esoteric Archive. The Nolan was a famous memory artist, apparently. I have no gift for that work myself, though I agree it is fascinating.

For more detailed information about this kind of work, may I recommend the writings of Giordano Bruno? Some translations are available online at sacred_texts.com and at the Esoteric Archive. The Nolan was a famous memory artist, apparently. I have no gift for that work myself, though I agree it is fascinating.

I will certainly be checking these out Christine - my short term memory is about as bad as it gets! Thank you for the heads up.