Sign in to follow this  
Loreali

Astral projection to speak to higher self and/or spirits?

Hmmm.  Wex, I question if your experience(s) was not an OBE, but rather an etheric projection.

To be honest, I do not travel at all (except maybe that once) so I'm not really familiar with the lingo. Is there a significant difference?

'Etheric projection' simply means projecting the spirit/essence/true self anywhere on earth, while still retaining a connection to your body.  It's my understanding that in a true OBE, however, the physical body is completely vacated but the spirit/essence can go back and occupy the body at any time.  

I could be totally wrong about this- it's been a while since I've researched it- but these are the impressions I chose to commit to memory.  :)

Guest monsnoleedra

'Etheric projection' simply means projecting the spirit/essence/true self anywhere on earth, while still retaining a connection to your body.  It's my understanding that in a true OBE, however, the physical body is completely vacated but the spirit/essence can go back and occupy the body at any time.  

I could be totally wrong about this- it's been a while since I've researched it- but these are the impressions I chose to commit to memory.   :smile:

That pretty well matches what the common idea was back in the late 70's and into the 80's about etheral and astral projections.  At times Etheral was also compared to the notion of remote viewing and real time.

I always considered OBE's to be traveling into the ethereal world.  Astral projection is traveling to somewhere else.

LOL, I find this all confusing. I've been traveling all my life, I cannot seem to tell the difference. I've come to the conclusion I've never had an OBE.

I've traveled everywhere and returned to my body. I make no distinction to where I travel vs. what kind of travel it was.

Can't seem to wrap my head around these different definitions -- Totally dense about the difference and embarrassed to say so. 

Edited by Nikki

If you travel to your best friends bedroom and watch them sleep or chit chat - that's an OBE into the ethereal plane.

If you travel to a different realm altogether - I've found the easiest way to access the gates is through the astral.

What I find really interesting is that several people I know have traveled to an ancient forest in the astral except they have no idea of how to give directions to the place.  I'd really like to see that.

Guest monsnoleedra

If you travel to your best friends bedroom and watch them sleep or chit chat - that's an OBE into the ethereal plane.

If you travel to a different realm altogether - I've found the easiest way to access the gates is through the astral.

What I find really interesting is that several people I know have traveled to an ancient forest in the astral except they have no idea of how to give directions to the place.  I'd really like to see that.

But you can also project your awareness to their bedroom and view through the etheral even as you are aware of sitting in your living room for instance.  As such remote viewing is a form of etheral projection and walking though you tend not to have the falling or dropping sensation you see so often with an O.B.E. type projection.

So, am I missing something in the explanation of it?

So, ok... I've had tons of O.B.E.'s, according to that definition. (I tend to equate OBE's with near death experiences) not traveling, per se. 

@Monosno --- very interesting !!! Although Remote Viewing and Projection feels very different, there is similarity, without the SnapBack. I never thought of it this way, but it makes sense. Thanks. 

So is there a difference between the ethereal plane and the physical one?

Guest monsnoleedra

So is there a difference between the ethereal plane and the physical one?

The way I was taught that would be yes and no.  Think of it in the sense that the etheral plain is a place where your on the material plain yet your not quite there either so not limited by weighty restrictions upon the projected body or mental aspect of self.  One of the reasons I think "Flying" is so common of an experience when one has projected their mental awareness or even projected out side of their body in an O.B.E. like state.  One thing that has always clung to me is the fact while on the etheral you can still feel your physical body and what ever is happening to it.  In that regard its also similar to how I view an N.D.E. and the fact that many times one has a vague sense of feeling what is transpiring.  The difference I think between an N.D.E. and an O.B.E. is that the N.D.E. actually opens or starts to open a gateway to the barrier between life and death where an O.B.E. raises the vibration rate to allow you to move in a different way.

Astral plain to me is more a place of vibration and alternate state of perception, yet it's greatest aspect is it is a place where other beings may project to or actually reside upon and be self aware.  In some ways it resides outside the physical boundaries of the physical and etheral, almost like a ring that rests upon them.  Yet it shares parts of the etheral's upper level where material and vibration change from one rate to another.  Being a place of vibration one gains the ability to create upon it where the natural laws of atomic structure and density seem not to hold sway.  But I also think it is layered something like a record turned upon its side where the further one moves away from the connection to the etheral / physical the more the laws fall away and the greater likely hood of encountering entities of greater and greater power and presence.  Yet it doesn't extend into the wider universe and I personally believe it is restricted to the physical influences of the Earth, something like the van allen belt that surrounds the earth.  Which raises the question of many astral rings that surround each planet and potentially could be experienced by humanity when upon another physical body in universal space, such as the moon or other planetary body.

Journey work goes to a whole differing plain of realities and notions.  You leave the physical consciousness and move into either the internal landscape of the subconscious where the conscious is not really present so in essence you have a sense of a foreign plain of reality.  Yet it's all "You" so there is a sense of safety yet also terror for its the true hiding place of ones shadowself and many times shattered aspects of ones own psyche,  So you do have a sense of O.B.E. when you go there but its not the same as the etheral in that your conscious is aware and in control.  The other side of journey work is the complete projection of the higher self to the etheral and astral plains of reality but there is no sense of retaining a connection to the physical body and many times you take on a "Body" that is formed on a more energy basis aligned to which ever place you happen to visit while in the detached state.  It does get hosed up at times though as Earthly placements of our senses may not align with the journey senses so you get a distorted sense of placement within your own body when you come back together.  Eyes in the wrong place in a frequent one I experience.  

Sorry just how I view things and some musings.

It's almost time to start the day so I'll read that big post later.

The ethereal overlaps the physical.  The ethereal is the plane that the spirits and entities use to access the physical.  It's that barrier between planes that we, as witches, can access.  Because of that we can interact with these things.  It's also the superhighway that we use when we travel.

• Upvote 1

I think perhaps the physical and the non-physical plane exist together... perhaps separation is a human-trained perception of "if I can't see it it's either  not here or it doesn't exist". Like if one got in a spaceship and traveled billions of miles I don't think one would end up in the other plane, I think any "planes" that do exist all exist together.

• Upvote 1

Kinda like opposite sides of the same coin.  Each side is unique but they exist together.

The ethereal overlaps the physical.  The ethereal is the plane that the spirits and entities use to access the physical.  It's that barrier between planes that we, as witches, can access.  Because of that we can interact with these things.  It's also the superhighway that we use when we travel.

^ This. Most succinct and accurate description of my experiences.

Well, if the Physical and Ethereal Planes are connected, then the Astral Plane has to be connected, too. No? It cannot be coin, as a coin doesn't have 3 sides... if you think there are 3 (or more) planes to travel in. 

I'm not trying to be a wiseass, but these 'definitions' confuse me because my experiences don't reflect these 'limitations' (for lack of a better word)

Also, I have to disagree with idea that the Astral Plane being limited by the Earth.

I've been beyond, so it can be done.

Edited by Nikki

I'm not sure if your entire post is directed at me.  I scrolled up to the top of this page and read it again.  I didn't talk about the Astral.  I was merely speaking on my views of how the physical and ethereal overlap and interact.

I don't believe that the Astral plane is a part of this.  It's its own place that has very little, if anything, to do with the physical world.  I'm not really sure where you picked up the idea that the Astral is limited by the Earth.  I skimmed MonSno's post but it really didn't sink in.

And, for the record, I believe there are many planes and dimensions that can be traveled.  I have no idea if there is a finite amount of them.  I highly doubt that I would be able to travel to all of them in one mortal lifetime.

Do you have a more specific question?  And I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

I'm not sure if your entire post is directed at me.  I scrolled up to the top of this page and read it again.  I didn't talk about the Astral.  I was merely speaking on my views of how the physical and ethereal overlap and interact.

I don't believe that the Astral plane is a part of this.  It's its own place that has very little, if anything, to do with the physical world.  I'm not really sure where you picked up the idea that the Astral is limited by the Earth.  I skimmed MonSno's post but it really didn't sink in.

And, for the record, I believe there are many planes and dimensions that can be traveled.  I have no idea if there is a finite amount of them.  I highly doubt that I would be able to travel to all of them in one mortal lifetime.

Do you have a more specific question?  And I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Holy shit that so reminds me of a recent episode of Through the Wormhole w/Morgan Freeman!! :omg: Have you watched that show? It's more like, highly unlikely that you'd be able to travel them in all of your lifetimes- times infinity. It was actually a theory (one of the more unusual ones) that we all have clones living in an infinite amount of dimensions at the same time, so there's a possibility that you could "cheat death", but you'd never know which one of your lives in which dimension it was, etc. That's the extremely condensed and confusing version of it from me at the moment, lol

I've seen the show a couple times but I never saw that episode.  That's actually kinda cool.

It's more like, highly unlikely that you'd be able to travel them in all of your lifetimes- times infinity.

Damn!  That's a lot of realms.  But, yeah, you're probably right.

I'm not sure if your entire post is directed at me. I scrolled up to the top of this page and read it again. I didn't talk about the Astral. I was merely speaking on my views of how the physical and ethereal overlap and interact.

I don't believe that the Astral plane is a part of this. It's its own place that has very little, if anything, to do with the physical world. I'm not really sure where you picked up the idea that the Astral is limited by the Earth. I skimmed MonSno's post but it really didn't sink in.

And, for the record, I believe there are many planes and dimensions that can be traveled. I have no idea if there is a finite amount of them. I highly doubt that I would be able to travel to all of them in one mortal lifetime.

Do you have a more specific question? And I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

No, my post was not directed at you at all. It's inclusive of many posts made.

I am really trying to understand all these different definitions -- because it's no secret I don't get it... lol.

I am soooo stuck in trying to truly understanding the differences between Ethereal and Astral Planes....(let alone what's beyond this, if anything... but that's another thang)

In my attempt to learn and understand -- along side my personal experiences.... my thoughts are just that... thoughts.

Confused thoughts, to be more exacting.

Sorry about being so damn dense.

Edited by Nikki

There's no reason to apologize.  It's taken years for me to come to the conclusions that I have and I still remain open to the possibility that the more I learn the more they may change.  What I write today - I believe today.  What I learn tomorrow (or next year) can change or expand that.

Guest monsnoleedra

Nikki,

Don't know if it will matter but one of the things that made me define the plains the way I do is the discovery of "Tubes".  They are on the material plain but move at such a rate of speed they can not be seen by the naked eye.  Every example or recording of them I am aware of is via high speed film and they jump even then.

That made me think the etheral is joined with the physical but also outside of its known limitations as well.  When I considered remote viewing or O.B.E.'s I got the same impression that we are on the physical earth but moving in such a way as to not be observed while doing it.  Like the "Tubes" we are there but not to be seen by the naked eye.  Yet because people have a sense of us being near them at times I think the mind has to be capable of sensing the physical through other measures. 

N.D.E.'s I think pass though the etheral as a vibration and change of energy charge.  Almost the sense of an anti-mater state since the energy can not be destroyed but changed in some manner.

The astral I've always seen as dimensional where it be internal to mankind or external.  I tend to equate it to being planet formed at it strongest points but also cross dimensional.  One of the reasons for Deja Vu in that it is possible for two dimensions to experience the same exact situation and the same exact time or just slight off by a second or two.  Which to means implies that we might actually join with our dimensional double for a moment of two.  At times I've pondered if that is why we may experience supposed past life recalls but are experiencing a moment where two dimensional plains meet and the mental energy is shared.  I say mental energy for I do not believe two objects can hold the same physical space at the same time though have debate if two objects at two different vibration rates would be seen as holding the same space.

Sorry my mind is wandering today so better end this before I go off the deep end.

Hey Monsno, thanks for that :) 

I had a mini-revelation last night about my Ethereal vs. Astral Plane issue... and, I think I can move forward without banging my head against this wall anymore.

And just like what RoseRed said, it may change in time -- but, that's ok :)

I don't know if this will be helpful or more confusing but I just thought of an example.

Let's take ghosts.  Not everyone can see them.  They live in the ethereal part of this world.  Those of us that can see them have one foot in each world.  Anyone with eyes can see the physical (let's say house that's haunted by said ghost) house but not everyone can see or interact with the ghost that's haunting it.  But then there's times that they're strong enough to ride the border between the physical and ethereal and make their presence known.

Or take a tree.  I don't speak tree very well but I get along nicely with oak trees.  The wood itself is in the physical.  The spirit of the tree resides in the ethereal.  Only people that interact with both can sit and chit chat with the spirit of the tree. 

That's why I said it's like a coin.  Even though we may separate the spiritual/energetic from the physical - together they make a whole.

If I was to project myself into your living room - I would travel through the ethereal to get there.  If you invited me for coffee - I'd drive. 

Sign in to follow this