Photo
- - - - -

Astral projection to speak to higher self and/or spirits?

astral projection divination

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 Loreali

Loreali

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

This is just what I do when I want to contact my higher or deeper self. I had a very disturbing childhood and learned to completely dissassociate when I was little. Meaning dissassociate myself to the point where I am not aware of anything physical around me. I use a form of self hypnosis. I have a certain meditation that I developed for this. Since I am cancer, I like water. When I was a child the water gave me great comfort. I make sure I am not going to be interrupted and I also use earplugs to block out any outside distractions. In my mediation I first just get relaxed by breathing. being aware of my body, the environment, ect.I work my way though my body getting relaxed and releasing tension. then I stand at the top of this stair case that goes down to the water. I start counting backwards imagining myself going down the stairs. breathing and just focusing on what it feels like to be on that stair what it looks like on my feet,. how much of my legs are immersed, ect. when i get to the bottom, I swim and i imagine there is a beautiful silver box that is very ornate. it is lined with wood inside and dry. the box contains what i want to know. I open the lid and i observe. I blocked out a lot of my childhood so I have used this to recover some very deep memories. In my meditation I just observe. I am not participating, just seeing. This works for me when I want to know what i need to do in a given situation. often the answers are very surprising but always make sense. sometimes they aren't what i want to hear either.

As far as astral projection it sounds very risky. If its not true than there is nothing to lose or be gained but if it is, i would not want to experiment with the possible consequences.

That sounds like a wonderful method, justme. I used to meditate a bit but then got into the habit of not doing it, until I got to the point where I pretty much stopped altogether. I remember one time I did it and ended up in a forest where I could hear the ocean in the background. It was pretty cool and I felt like it was a sanctuary within my mind. I guess I could use that place to contact my higher self as well. But I'd need to focus on really trying to meditate once again to reach it.

#22 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

As I am reading through this thread, I am wondering as to the original purpose of the activities being discussed here. I know the OP mentioned communicating with the higher self for divination purposes. I do not work with concepts of higher self, so I am uncertain if that is common terminology and usage in other paths or not. I am familiar with a variety of divination methods and tools, but that particular association is unfamiliar to me, personally. Of course, it may just be the OP's personal inspiration, which is super cool. Even so, I am left wondering how contacting a higher self serves a purpose within the Craft.

Along the same lines, what purposes are traditionally associated with the elaborate visualizations and meditations being described in some of the posts. From reading other posts, I understand that visualization is a component of many Witch's spellwork, as they elect to manifest magic through first visualizing their intended outcome. If it works for you . . . Awesome!

For those who use meditation, especially those that involve vivid, location imagery, how does that specific type contribute to your Craft? Is it about the actual practice of Witchcraft and more about self (personal or psychological) benefit and peace of mind, as was implied in a few of the posts? I am curious.

#23 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

For those who use meditation, especially those that involve vivid, location imagery, how does that specific type contribute to your Craft? Is it about the actual practice of Witchcraft and more about self (personal or psychological) benefit and peace of mind, as was implied in a few of the posts? I am curious.

Asks the psychologist ... ;)

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#24 Lilikate

Lilikate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

Personally I've come to understand the higher self as the soul, the combination of everything I have ever been so far, and contacting it can help to "re-remember" things as Michele puts it when referring to the ancestral pool/collective memory. The shadow self I look at as all the repressed issues, urges, embarassments, failures, upsets, etc that I've ever had and establishing a balance between the shadow and present self, and the higher self also I suppose, can help one find themselves and be more at peace with themselves and the world. The few times I've tried deeper meditation I created a place in my mind for any parts of myself, any familiars, any ancestors, to meet me in that place where I felt most comfortable, instead of journeying to their realm it was more like inviting them to mine, or whatever realm meditation can take you to. Some may argue that this is ineffective, and I remember a book I read called Trance-Portation that argued that these places you create can't be proven to be any more or less real than the other worlds/realms others are familiar with if it works for you. I love that book, it opened new doors for me :).

eta: I too think of my higher self as my intuitive self. It can recognize patterns that I ignore, it can be that nudge in the right direction, I suppose it's a guide as much as any other spirit guide others may refer to.

Edited by Lilikate, 28 February 2013 - 03:19 AM.

I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex.

-Oscar Wilde

#25 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

I am curious as to how most people define astral projection/out of body experience. I used to define it as a very deep trance experience. But I have since come to the definition that it is actually "out of body" as in the body no longer houses the spirit. The body is unresponsive and can't be "woken up" or responsive until the "spirit" goes back into it. It is actually an "empty shell" body, rather like someone in a coma or unconscious. How do others define "out of body/astral projection"?

M

As far as I know, it is the astral body that leaves, but not totally. The astral body is one refinement more than the physical body, but is still physical and houses the spirit. The astral body remains connected to the physical body by an etheric cord (silver cord). Any discomfort or disturbance, and boom one is back in one's body with a resounding shudder...not pleasant.

#26 Havilland

Havilland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

The idea of a higher self is something that does not resonate with me. I know the term, but I believe it was O_o who talked about going within instead of outside - that is much more what I do. I'm not generally into meditation, however there are times when I get so wrapped up into my day to day that I am missing any messages my ancestors might be trying to get to me.

These meditations are focused on really centering myself within, and then exploring the depths inside me. Generally an ancestor will meet me and take me where I need to go - though on occasion I need to make the journey myself. As it was noted above, it's normally an act of "re-remembering" something that I know in my core but not something that I can consciously tap into because of whatever mental block I have up.

I'm not sure how to describe this in a way that might make sense to other posters questioning this form of meditation - because it is a very personal journey..one that I really don't care to post the details in the public forums.

#27 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

I am not sure exactly what a higher self is I only know what my own experiances are and how I define them. I have a memory palace that I have built and where I visit when I want to look at my deep memories or where I look for my ancestral memories. This to me is not astral projection that is when I leave my body and travel to the spirit realm or possably events that might yet happen. I enjoy astral projection which I have heard is kind of odd i have heard for a lot of people leaving the physical behind is very frightening I learned to do this as a child for fun so maybe that's why. I also think its harder to achive this as an adult I'm not sure why that is just that it seems inatly true. My childhood was at times very traumatic which is why I ended up living with my grandmother so it was almost a form of self preservationfor me . I know I have talked about using hallucinagins previously, if you do use them you should have someone standing watch over you for safety's sake. I usually just use a glass of wine and a ritual to prepare for astral projection being mentally clean is very important or you can attract things you might not want to attract.

#28 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

Athena. I have often wondered about the concept of the memory palace. It interests me greatly though I have little idea how it works or how you'd begin to construct it. Would it be hijacking this thread too much to ask you to post a short "dummies" guide?
Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#29 dawnmedos

dawnmedos

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

How do others define "out of body/astral projection"?

M

I have experienced different levels of projections out of my body. for me it was helpful to know, that there are different
categories of the projections:
first the mental projection (here you leave your body with your mind, like in the pathworkings and guided meditations that many people today do).
then the astral projection- where you leave your body with your mind AND your astral body. to me this form feels more like dreams. where i have my conciousness and i can go where i want to- in the material world or in the "astral regions".
and as last the etheric projection where you project your mind, astral body AND your etheric body out. these projections felt realy real to me. like i would be on the place with my physical body, i was able to feel the wind on my "skin" and the sun warming me.

in my working i normaly do use the mental projections to visit places near me and to connect with the local spirits around me. but whe the trance gets deeper, the mental projections do go over into astral projections.
but mostly the astral projections happen when i am sleeping,
and the etheric projections i just experienced to times. while i were in astral projections and then the projection got deeper and i was suddenly on a place that i do love. and was experiencing this place with my etheric body. but until now i was not able to make this etheric projections with will.

i do protect myself during the projections. i have a familiar spirit that do watch over my body in the time i am out and about. and i do wear a protective amulet durint the projections.
and i only experienced that something had tried to get into my body, while i was sleeping and was out of my body without will. it just happened. i work as a nurse and i am caring for a patient in his home. i had nightshift and we can sleep in the room of the patient. he is in a persistent vegetative state. i slept there and were out of my body. i was pulled back into my body and fet that there was someone inside of me, too. i was not able to move my body with will over some time until the other presence was gone. i think it was the spirit of my patient, who tried to go into my body.

and i never experienced the silver cord, that so many books about astral projections do mention,

We are flying threw the night, the horde of the Goddess, together with the dead and the unborn. We are her witches,we are blessing and cursing in her name.In trance and ecstasy we follow her, leaving our bodys, flying into the air. Some of us in the shape of animals, some riding on brooms and stangs and some naked in free flight.

Toad, Black Cat & Pointy Hat- My Blog About Archetypical Witchcraft

#30 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

I think instead. Of doing that I should start a new thread. I will start working on it.

#31 Loreali

Loreali

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Thank you for the replies everyone. After much thought though, I've decided to hold off on the astral projection. At least for now. Instead I think I'm going to try to do some mirror scrying. I feel that will probably be safer for me, although of course I'll take lots of precautions before attempting it. You can keep the discussion going though. I'm finding it really interesting to read through everyone's thoughts on this subject. :)

#32 Lilikate

Lilikate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

Thank you for the replies everyone. After much thought though, I've decided to hold off on the astral projection. At least for now. Instead I think I'm going to try to do some mirror scrying. I feel that will probably be safer for me, although of course I'll take lots of precautions before attempting it. You can keep the discussion going though. I'm finding it really interesting to read through everyone's thoughts on this subject. :)

I have found working with mirrors to get to know different shades of myself to be very effective ;)

Edited by Lilikate, 11 March 2013 - 06:31 PM.

I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex.

-Oscar Wilde

#33 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:08 AM

. . . . Instead I think I'm going to try to do some mirror scrying.

If you are interested, there are approximately 40 references to mirrors and scrying, and 10 references to "mirror scrying" on the forum. You may find something helpful in one or more of the corresponding threads. I do not know the direction you are going, so I am not necessariy going to bump any specific threads. :)

#34 ShadowKing

ShadowKing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

I think it really depends on your personality this brings me back to invoking vs evoking. Some of us have to actively search for entities in their natural soundings and others like myself like to call their power or presence. Most times I do out of body work I always end up walking up half naked with grass in my mouth I guess otherworldly beings really like the flavor......I tend to shy away from projecting my self but I'm not against it . I sometimes like to entertain myself by traveling to other peoples dreams for a quick visit.

Edited by Panaceum, 25 March 2013 - 07:32 AM.

"We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! " -Endora

#35 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:00 PM

Bump!

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#36 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:32 AM

Bump!

The way I perceive AP is not a complete disconnect with your physical body. The first time I ever had a slight experience of lucid dreaming with the eventual intent of AP, I used a tape from the Monroe Institute. It worked. This was before I actually actively practiced witchcraft and wasn't hugely aware of AP, as he refers to them as OOB (out of body). I've been told by some that they're not the same thing, but I'm not so sure I actually believe that. I think for the purposes of trying to achieve them, they're pretty much the same thing IMO. 

It's something I've been working on off and on for about 6-8 months. I don't believe that it's your actual "soul", etc. leaving your body- it's the projection of your etheric body. There are some herbs said to be of possible assistance, and I can personally attest to at least very visual, vivid, and easily remembered dreams using dream pillows containing certain herbs (I made them myself). My husband had a separate one underneath his pillow and it caused such vivid dreams he had to remove it; and he wasn't using to try to lucid dream and/or AP, just a volunteer for me :wink:  Of course I used one too and can attest to having the same experiences. They were so "strong", particularly for my hubby, that if mine was tucked into the side of my pillow where he happened to turn over, even mine caused him similar issues. The herbs need to be replaced every so often, and mine are def due again to be changed. Dream pillows can be mixed w/different herbs to help w/different things btw, not just AP or LD, but also things like prevention of nightmares, aiding in helping one fall asleep, remembrance of dreams, etc.

Binaural beats, certain herbs, and other "techniques" (someone mentioned the silver chord I believe, which is part of one of the techniques I've read) can be utilized separately or together until you achieve your desired goal I suppose. I've often wondered if I've actually AP in deep sleep, but since I can't remember it/them, I have no recollection of ever doing it. I'm certainly all ears for anyone who has some suggestions. 

Dreams and dream states are also a very big deal to me- bc I happen to know for a fact that I use them (at least on a subconscious level) to "work through" certain issues of mine. I fully realized this after suffering a lot of loss in a relatively short period of time. My dreams made perfect sense to me then and during other times. 

Edited by bewitchingredhead, 08 June 2014 - 07:35 AM.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#37 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

Redhead, I do enjoy your posts, but the bright blue color is making it hard to read. If you wanted to, a lighter color would really help me to read it :)

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#38 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:19 PM

Redhead, I do enjoy your posts, but the bright blue color is making it hard to read. If you wanted to, a lighter color would really help me to read it :smile:

Very much concur, that bright blue is difficult to read.  I have to highlight it to read it, most time just ignore it now as it hurts my eyes

#39 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:38 AM

Redhead, I do enjoy your posts, but the bright blue color is making it hard to read. If you wanted to, a lighter color would really help me to read it :smile:

Very much concur, that bright blue is difficult to read.  I have to highlight it to read it, most time just ignore it now as it hurts my eyes

What do you use as your background color/theme? I use black and the contrast is super easy for me to read. I'm fairly blind. :geek: My contacts are -6.50 and -6.00 and I still have to make the screen bigger to be able to see very well. For example, Wexler's sig is small to me. I have to squint to see it or make the screen bigger. :ermm: The white hurts my eyes (or rather the cream color as it appears on my screen). So is that a general consensus w/everyone bc I don't want it to be difficult for everyone to read my posts? Is this color better?

Any thoughts to add about AP for me? :smile:

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#40 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:48 AM

What do you use as your background color/theme? I use black and the contrast is super easy for me to read. I'm fairly blind. :geek: My contacts are -6.50 and -6.00 and I still have to make the screen bigger to be able to see very well. For example, Wexler's sig is small to me. I have to squint to see it or make the screen bigger. :ermm: The white hurts my eyes (or rather the cream color as it appears on my screen). So is that a general consensus w/everyone bc I don't want it to be difficult for everyone to read my posts? Is this color better?

Any thoughts to add about AP for me? :smile:

I use the off green background setting.  The purple / pink is not hard on my eyes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astral projection, divination