Photo
- - - - -

Astral projection to speak to higher self and/or spirits?

astral projection divination

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Loreali

Loreali

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

So I've had this idea for awhile, to astral project at will in order to speak to my higher self, and maybe a few spirits that passed on from this world that I knew . I think it would be a great divination tool in order to connect with my higher self. As of late, I've been trying to meditate more in order to "get out" of my body and using shields in case I manage to get out one day. But I was wondering if anyone else has been able to do this? And if so, what have been your results?

#2 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

For me, personally, I don't hedge cross, but I do hedge-sit/ride. So I don't actually leave my body. For me to ask a question, I just ask it I don't need to actually pop off to do it (or I haven't needed to so far anyway, lol).

M

#3 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

For me, personally, I don't hedge cross, but I do hedge-sit/ride. So I don't actually leave my body. For me to ask a question, I just ask it I don't need to actually pop off to do it (or I haven't needed to so far anyway, lol).

M

This is my experience as well. Anything I need to communicate with is near me or a thought away. When I actually have projected, I ended up in a place I shouldn't have been and a particular entity showed up, saved my ass and gave me a lecture. I haven't had the need repeat that experience, one warning was sufficient.

#4 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

I don't necessarily astral project; haven't been able to do so or felt the need to, since I was a small child. I see and interact with spirits of various types and intensities on a fairly regular basis, so not something I worry much about, personally. Plus, I do not meditate, at least not in the traditional sense, as it does not contribute to my Craft and frankly bores me to tears. ;)

For the sake of conversation, I am curious as to how you are defining "higher self" in this scenario. I think that information might help me to better formulate a response, as it relates to your specific comments and questions.

#5 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

I have always disliked the idea of leaving my body (I think it stems from this novel I once read where a girl projected out and someone else hopped in...) and my natural antipathy prevents any attempts I am tempted to make. As I also dislike the idea of doing something that goes against my own personal intuition I tend to leave astral projection well alone.

Your post though did remind me of an article I read a while ago about the various different stages of the infamous Golden Dawn and how each stage supposedly gains you the ability to travel to a higher astral plane. I believe there are reputed to be seven planes with only the highest grades of Magus and Ipsissimus able to transcend to them all. Its not a tradition I follow in any way but its interesting in relation to your post as the "higher selves" are allegedly those on the top planes, knowable to only those experienced enough in astral projection to ascend to them. (Like I said, not my thing. Actually its always sounded a bit like nonsense to me...).

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#6 Loreali

Loreali

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Thank you for the replies everyone. I can talk out loud and get what I need to get across to spirits or my higher self as well, but I was just wondering if you could do so using astral projection as well. Some weird things have been happening to me lately with me seeing bits and pieces of what I can best describe as flickers of light dancing in and out of my current reality, and I sort of want to get to the bottom of what it is. And I think astral projection may be my best way to achieve that.

I don't necessarily astral project; haven't been able to do so or felt the need to, since I was a small child. I see and interact with spirits of various types and intensities on a fairly regular basis, so not something I worry much about, personally. Plus, I do not meditate, at least not in the traditional sense, as it does not contribute to my Craft and frankly bores me to tears. :wink:

For the sake of conversation, I am curious as to how you are defining "higher self" in this scenario. I think that information might help me to better formulate a response, as it relates to your specific comments and questions.

When I say higher self I mean the divine manifestation of my intution. That's the best way I can describe what one's higher self is to me at least.

#7 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

When I say higher self I mean the divine manifestation of my intution. That's the best way I can describe what one's higher self is to me at least.

I was always taught that this lies inside you, as it's a part of you, so I don't know why you would need to astral project to come in contact with it. There is a type of meditation that mimics astral projection, but takes you deeper into the self. This meditation focuses on the idea that we are all connected to everything in all worlds and that there is a "place" inside us that allows us to make contact. I personally see astral projection as a very dangerous thing, as I know of what can happen to someone if something was to take advantage of the situation. The concept of something stealing your vessel/body is a very old one and something that in my experiences, I believe to be extremely possible.

#8 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

...I personally see astral projection as a very dangerous thing, as I know of what can happen to someone if something was to take advantage of the situation. The concept of something stealing your vessel/body is a very old one and something that in my experiences, I believe to be extremely possible.

I would say the same thing. And I believe the danger is on two levels - both to the soul and to the body.

M

#9 Loreali

Loreali

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

I was always taught that this lies inside you, as it's a part of you, so I don't know why you would need to astral project to come in contact with it. There is a type of meditation that mimics astral projection, but takes you deeper into the self. This meditation focuses on the idea that we are all connected to everything in all worlds and that there is a "place" inside us that allows us to make contact. I personally see astral projection as a very dangerous thing, as I know of what can happen to someone if something was to take advantage of the situation. The concept of something stealing your vessel/body is a very old one and something that in my experiences, I believe to be extremely possible.

I know that it is possible to have your body be stolen or possessed as most call it. I use protections though when I do it, and I know those aren't full proof, but I am taking precautions. I'd love to know more about this meditation you are talking about though. Perhaps that would meet my needs without me having to leave my body.

#10 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I'd be interested in hearing about this type of meditation too.
Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#11 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

I too would love to know about this meditation. Things I have been reading about astral projections sounds a little far fetched to me too. I've read that some people actually do some low dosage of hallucenagens from certain poisonous plants in order to, "project astrally." Doesn't seem natural to me if that's what you have to do to get there. but I'm sure there are safer ways. If you are interested in doing that, there is this video you can purchase for 1.99 on amazon, his name is Nick Ridge, a British Fellow, and he shows in his video how to make the concoctions as well as bread poppets. Have a Nice Flight :stars: .
Why Pamper Life's Complexities When the Leather Runs Smooth On The Passenger Seat -Morrissey

#12 Lilikate

Lilikate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

I've never thought that one had to project to speak to something that is part of them. I'd think you need to turn deeply inward, not outward, for such an experience. I'm not against the idea of projection if I felt well protected, but I'd probably do it just to observe myself and my close surroundings but I have no interest in traveling anywhere but around in my mind. I don't think I'd recommend this type of venture without an experienced teacher. How would you know it was your higher self amd not some entity toying with your mind? It might be better to use meditation on this plane first. You may find you don't need projection.
I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex.

-Oscar Wilde

#13 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

I too would love to know about this meditation. Things I have been reading about astral projections sounds a little far fetched to me too. I've read that some people actually do some low dosage of hallucenagens from certain poisonous plants in order to, "project astrally." Doesn't seem natural to me if that's what you have to do to get there. but I'm sure there are safer ways. If you are interested in doing that, there is this video you can purchase for 1.99 on amazon, his name is Nick Ridge, a British Fellow, and he shows in his video how to make the concoctions as well as bread poppets. Have a Nice Flight :stars: .

Well, actually . . . astral projection is a legitimate practice, utlized by many individuals, not just Witches. Astral projection is basically willful and deliberate out-of-body experience. Some people are very good at this, slipping out of body awareness easily, while others never master it. Some here, like myself, are adept at remote viewing, seeing and hearing things from a distance without actually projecting.

As for the use of hallucinagens, that is also a legitimate aspect of the practices of many magical workings, especially those of Shamans and Hedgeriders. In fact, anyone who claims to be either of those, but doesn't utilize some kind of mind-altering substance or activity, at least on occasion, is a liar or a fake. Real practitioners are experienced in the proper use and dosage of the poisonous plants, you spoke of, and other methods that they employ to achieve altered states. Such activities are not for the beginner or the faint of heart and, yes, are likely illegal in some areas. That is why the majority of threads on the subject are in the private forum, away from the prying eyes of people who have no idea what the hell they are doing. That said, I certainly wouldn't use any concoction that a guy sold on the Internet for $1.99.

#14 Sylvan

Sylvan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

I think of the higher self as the fetch. Sometimes I will communicate with that aspect of myself via writing. I'm pretty crappy at most kinds of meditation except for really creative visualizations.

Possible dumb question: is astral projection while awake considered different than the "traveling" one may do in a sleep state?

THE untold want, by life and land ne’er granted,
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.

Posted Image

#15 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:51 AM

I am curious as to how most people define astral projection/out of body experience. I used to define it as a very deep trance experience. But I have since come to the definition that it is actually "out of body" as in the body no longer houses the spirit. The body is unresponsive and can't be "woken up" or responsive until the "spirit" goes back into it. It is actually an "empty shell" body, rather like someone in a coma or unconscious. How do others define "out of body/astral projection"?

M

#16 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

Well, actually . . . astral projection is a legitimate practice, utlized by many individuals, not just Witches. Astral projection is basically willful and deliberate out-of-body experience. Some people are very good at this, slipping out of body awareness easily, while others never master it. Some here, like myself, are adept at remote viewing, seeing and hearing things from a distance without actually projecting.

As for the use of hallucinagens, that is also a legitimate aspect of the practices of many magical workings, especially those of Shamans and Hedgeriders. In fact, anyone who claims to be either of those, but doesn't utilize some kind of mind-altering substance or activity, at least on occasion, is a liar or a fake. Real practitioners are experienced in the proper use and dosage of the poisonous plants, you spoke of, and other methods that they employ to achieve altered states. Such activities are not for the beginner or the faint of heart and, yes, are likely illegal in some areas. That is why the majority of threads on the subject are in the private forum, away from the prying eyes of people who have no idea what the hell they are doing. That said, I certainly wouldn't use any concoction that a guy sold on the Internet for $1.99.

I see, I can totally understand how one would have to be very experienced to dabble with those types of substances. Mr. Ridge does have disclaimers regarding this as well. I hope I didn't give off the impression that I was trying to promote his video :) lol, it was an interesting video for me however. Thank you for the info Jevne, you and Michelle always teach me something.

Why Pamper Life's Complexities When the Leather Runs Smooth On The Passenger Seat -Morrissey

#17 Lilikate

Lilikate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

... it is actually "out of body" as in the body no longer houses the spirit. The body is unresponsive and can't be "woken up" or responsive until the "spirit" goes back into it. It is actually an "empty shell" body, rather like someone in a coma or unconscious.

M

that's how I define it.

Edited by Lilikate, 26 February 2013 - 01:47 PM.

I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex.

-Oscar Wilde

#18 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

"Possible dumb question: is astral projection while awake considered different than the "traveling" one may do in a sleep state?

My question too- stole my thoughts again:)

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#19 Guest_justme_*

Guest_justme_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

This is just what I do when I want to contact my higher or deeper self. I had a very disturbing childhood and learned to completely dissassociate when I was little. Meaning dissassociate myself to the point where I am not aware of anything physical around me. I use a form of self hypnosis. I have a certain meditation that I developed for this. Since I am cancer, I like water. When I was a child the water gave me great comfort. I make sure I am not going to be interrupted and I also use earplugs to block out any outside distractions. In my mediation I first just get relaxed by breathing. being aware of my body, the environment, ect.I work my way though my body getting relaxed and releasing tension. then I stand at the top of this stair case that goes down to the water. I start counting backwards imagining myself going down the stairs. breathing and just focusing on what it feels like to be on that stair what it looks like on my feet,. how much of my legs are immersed, ect. when i get to the bottom, I swim and i imagine there is a beautiful silver box that is very ornate. it is lined with wood inside and dry. the box contains what i want to know. I open the lid and i observe. I blocked out a lot of my childhood so I have used this to recover some very deep memories. In my meditation I just observe. I am not participating, just seeing. This works for me when I want to know what i need to do in a given situation. often the answers are very surprising but always make sense. sometimes they aren't what i want to hear either.

As far as astral projection it sounds very risky. If its not true than there is nothing to lose or be gained but if it is, i would not want to experiment with the possible consequences.

#20 Loreali

Loreali

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

But I have since come to the definition that it is actually "out of body" as in the body no longer houses the spirit. The body is unresponsive and can't be "woken up" or responsive until the "spirit" goes back into it. It is actually an "empty shell" body, rather like someone in a coma or unconscious.
M

I define it as just this. It's when your spirit leaves your body, so you literally are out of your body. That show Saving Hope pretty much sums up what an out of body experience would be like in my opinion. Being very aware and present in your surroundings, but no longer being on the relegated to just the physical plane and experiencing things through your spirit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astral projection, divination