• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 An_Bruane

An_Bruane

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

I use pentagrams as a practitioner of a mediterranean path and it means to me wholeness and integrity (a pentacle reminds me the vitruvian man :wink: ) and a person who have both have power because he/she knows well his/her limits and powers and knows how use it in a useful way ("know yourself").

greetings!!

#22 Reyventounge

Reyventounge

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

I also do not use it in my home protections (as I use gemstones, totems, my familiar, wards, etc) but I do wear one. I also have a taper with a pentagram on it that I use sometimes as a basic layout for rituals. Its more of a representation of the balance of the elements, the body, mind and soul and nature to me. It is charged to protect me and only me.

#23 Loreali

Loreali

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

I Its more of a representation of the balance of the elements, the body, mind and soul and nature to me.

This is exactly how I've always viewed the pentegram. It's a representation of balance between the elements and one's self. I mean I guess alot of people associate it with wicca since the mainstream world uses it as the go-to sign of wicca. But it's a universal sign in my opinion. With that said, I use it in drawings, but not really much else. Unless the spell I'm using includes drawings in it maybe.

#24 moonthorn

moonthorn

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Thank you for a range of responses.
A lot of us are drawn to / create some sort of symbology that speaks to us, in our experience, in our daily lives even.
I see something in Coatlicue & Tiamat - the imagery & serpent images in connection with them.
I'm drawn to alot I suppose & we all have different experiences. Interesting to learn about Pentagrams. I know the five pointed star was in use in Ancient Egypt in heiroglyphs (but not necessarily as a pentagram). More relevance seems to have been given to the tetractys.
Ciao for now

#25 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

the inverted pentagramm is for me a symbol, that the material world is filled with divinity, that nature is sacred- that spirit is weaved into matter.

Nicely put...

#26 dawnmedos

dawnmedos

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Nicely put...

thanks, i have to explain often (to wiccans, esoteric interested people and occult interested people) why i do wear the inverted pentagramm. beause to them it is a symbol of evil, "black magic" and "satanism". but this negative view of the inverted pentagramm came only threw the writings of eliphas levi to its bad press... and this was warmed up over and over again...

We are flying threw the night, the horde of the Goddess, together with the dead and the unborn. We are her witches,we are blessing and cursing in her name.In trance and ecstasy we follow her, leaving our bodys, flying into the air. Some of us in the shape of animals, some riding on brooms and stangs and some naked in free flight.

Toad, Black Cat & Pointy Hat- My Blog About Archetypical Witchcraft

#27 Moonshadow73

Moonshadow73

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:30 AM

Wicca has become so popular, and so well known among the general public, that most people see a pentacle/pentagram and think it is Wiccan. Of course, like others here have already stated, it is a symbol that has been around far longer than Wicca has. I have two pentacle pendants that I wear from time to time. I use them in my own way for self protection, but not for home, etc... . I have a witch bottle burried in a deep pot at the bottom of the stairs leading into my house.
You can't practice witchcraft while turning your nose down at it.

#28 AmAn

AmAn

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

I wouldn't want to wear one because the Wiccan connotations, but I use it repeatedly in simple protection spells and other small rituals.
It's just an easy to visualize representation of all the elements for me.
I also used to doodle it on tests for good luck! :)

#29 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:19 AM

I wouldn't want to wear one because the Wiccan connotations, but I use it repeatedly in simple protection spells and other small rituals.
It's just an easy to visualize representation of all the elements for me.
I also used to doodle it on tests for good luck! :smile:

I do not necessarily allow other people's ignorance and/or opinions to dictate what I do or what I wear.  Besides, there are some advantages to having people think what they will.  Most of the time, people actually think that I am Jewish, when they see the little star. . . LOL!

#30 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

I have been wearing a pentagram pendant the size of a half dollar for about three years now in plain view for everyone to see.  You can see it in the profile pic on the facebook page.  It doesn't bother me if people think it is Wiccan, if they said something I would say "Wiccan ?  No that is for the mundane witches".   Also been wearing all black for almost 2 years now after wearing black shirts since three years before that.

Only got one negative reaction.  I arrived in the bank parking lot last year and I got out and I see this young lady she looks at me and I thought she looks familiar and I looked in the car as I pass by and see this other lady in the back seat rocking back and forth chanting something and she looks like she was wearing a white religious lacy scarf.  I just laughed and walk to the bank.

When I came out I saw a paper with a written note on it saying that I should open my mouth and say something like "I want to be save" on some religious pamphlet shoved in the window.  I laughed again and I saved that paper as a souvenir.

The other times I get comments about the pentagram it is mostly "I like that" or they point at it and give me the thumb up sign.

Edited by The Exile, 10 July 2013 - 06:56 AM.

#31 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

I have a necklace that I wear every day that contains a pentacle, but it is rather small and understated. The pentacle to me represents balance and unity. As someone else said, it also reminds me of the Vitruvian Man, which also represents balance and unity to me. Balance is a big focus for me in my path, and so it's significant. My pentacle necklace also features a circle of black and white stones signifying the phases of the moon, so that's the part most people focus on. I rarely if ever get comments on it. 

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#32 moonthorn

moonthorn

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:57 AM

... the inverted pentagramm is for me a symbol, that the material world is filled with divinity, that nature is sacred- that spirit is weaved into matter.

Wow, dawnmedos! This is a beautiful explanation. I will use your words if asked about this imagery, as it fills me with understanding.

Also.. new ideas: It's interesting that the pentagram/cle has been made into an evil image by the empire of christianity (I'm not saying *all* christians), that it represents "backwards values", etc.  But if we look at the values of the christian empire (God as a prison-keeper & factory boss, rather than a living cosmos. God as an assembly line rather than a dance. The mechanical, punitive, profiteering Father), it is interesting to observe how nonsustainably they work in the real world; against nature, against life, against diversity. (this is just my observation of the christian empire, not all christians). Who is truly "pro-life"? & why should this symbol declare "upside-down values" when the star can represent just what you have stated: Nature is sacred, etc.

This has led me to think more in a different vein, so I will not stray further from the topic at hand.

What a wonderful & experiential path we all lead; the different symbols with different meanings to each of us, etc.

#33 Willau

Willau

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

This is the one I wear almost always. It represents my path in many ways. :wink:

100_0557.jpg

#34 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:58 AM

Here is a pentacle that I have worn for a while (occasionally). Originally i just had it on a black cord. But tonight I designed the chain with amber, copper, and black onyx beads.

Attached File  264456_10151847612849605_1115094189_n.jpg   161.3KB   4 downloads

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#35 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:11 AM

Here is a pentacle that I have worn for a while (occasionally). Originally i just had it on a black cord. But tonight I designed the chain with amber, copper, and black onyx beads.

attachicon.gif264456_10151847612849605_1115094189_n.jpg

I love the beading on that alot alot. pretty but masculine good job!

#36 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:17 AM

thank you

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#37 Hagred

Hagred

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:14 AM

This is the one I wear almost always. It represents my path in many ways. :wink:

100_0557.jpg

Very neat - a vesica piscis too (the two overlapping circles)

I use pentagrams and pentacles for all sorts of spell work and protection.  I also have besoms, witch balls and bottles as well as horse shoes, mirrors, crystals etc for house protection. Faust´s pentacle is popular here in Mexico, it is composite and has Hebrew letters (the Tetragrammaton) on its horizontal bar, the seven planetary symbols an Alpha-Omega and other symbols. It was created by Eliphas Levi back in the 19th century.

The pentagram is very ancient, it is pre Masonic, pre Wicca and dates back to ancient Egypt around 5000 B.C. and later adopted by Pythagoras. Many neo Druid groups also use it. Though It is a major Wiccan  symbol and made widely known in a negative sense by Hollywood´s use of it in spooky films and the popular press nowadays.

The cross is also pre Christian, especially the equal armed or Greek cross, it is found in  a variety of cultures including Celtic and Mesoamerican (Maya).

#38 OpheliaRose

OpheliaRose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:57 AM

I was debating whether or not I wanted to get this little pentagram charm I saw. Some of the imagery you guys have described is really inspiring. I think I'll go ahead and get it and wear it around! Thanks!

#39 midsummer

midsummer

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

I don't own any pentagrams, I never have. They have never felt relevant or necessary to me, so I never bothered. I generally use herbs in protection for my home, combined with a couple of my Nan's spells. For me personally, I've always associated pentagrams with people who want to make big statements about their 'witchiness' (mostly from kids during high school and uni, not directed at anyone's choice to wear it here). I never understood having to make an obvious statement about your beliefs, when for me witch craft is just a part of my life. The air and the earth know what I am, and for me that's enough. But it's like any symbol, if it works for you as an individual, then go with it :)

#40 Chloe

Chloe

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:32 AM

I like some pentagram pendants and see no reason not to wear one. They're like any other talisman. I've seen some old pentagram coins and when I was doing a research paper for Ancient History on witchcraft in the middle ages, pretty much every talisman shown in the books I looked through was styled like these old pentagram coins. Which came first, I really haven't bothered to look into. I thought that was pretty interesting. Anyways, I'm not about to not wear a potentially powerful talisman just because people think it's a Wiccan thing. Plus, some are really pretty.

Okay, just did a quick search and the coins were definitely made before these talismans, dating back to BC. So, I wonder if the talismans that witches were making in the middle ages were influenced by the design of these pentagram coins... Or maybe something older that I haven't come across yet. There were some though that just looked so much like those old coins.

Edited by Chloe, 19 December 2013 - 07:26 AM.