#1 moonthorn

moonthorn

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Hey all.
I read a topic about "what one uses for home protection" & it got me thinking in regards to how many people used a pentagram in some way.
Is a pentagram not Wiccan, then?
I know we're all on a variety of paths, but am curious about this.
To any who use a pentagram in spellwork/ritual/protection/etc : What does a pentagram mean to a non-Wiccan?
Thank you much!

Edited by moonthorn, 11 February 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#2 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

Actually, I don't use a pentagram at all for my home protections. I use a variety of other symbols and objects, a besom or broom being one and a witch ball being another.

#3 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

I don't have any pentegrams either.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#4 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

I wear one. (I have since long before I even knew what the hell wicca was.) It was a gift, a charm / talisman of protection based on my association with that person. I also have a little angel on the same necklace, but I'm not xtian, either. She is charged for deflection, based on the association that I have with the person who gave it to me. (He is not a xtian, btw.)

The instant anyone makes assumptions about what ALL witches do or don't do, it can get a little touchy. I know from previous conversations that Aloe and others do not opt to use pentagrams; however, I know that they use symbolism that I do not use. BUT, I don't assume they are xtian, because they use what I see as xtian symbols. I also do not use the triple moon goddess symbol, but I know other witches here that use it. I don't accuse them of being wiccan, because they have adopted that symbolism. It is really up to the person.

#5 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Clearly the pentagram symbol predates Wicca by a few hundred years. I have 3 different pentagram pendants that I wear occasionally (not all at once though ...lol). It isn't a symbol if a religion for me. But like Jevne pointed out the pendant has a protection and meaning to it because of who gave it to her, and in my case what I was going through at the time. Two are for protection and one is specifically wore for connection to a certain energy that I work with. I have other pieces that I wear for protection as well, but those aren't really up for discussion at this moment.
My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#6 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Almost all of those old classic grimoires are full of pentagrams lol, so the notion that they are exclusively wiccan is pretty laughable IMO.

I use pentagrams in spellwork occasionally, I just don't have 'a pentagram' and I don't use them for protection. As for the reasons I do use them, the symbol has way too many historical and cultural associations for me to go over here. Wikipedia does a pretty good job of going over the myriad of associations and cultures that have used pentagrams outside of wicca. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagram

Edited by Aloe, 11 February 2013 - 08:25 PM.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#7 Babooshka

Babooshka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

Am I right in thinking that the pentagram as a symbol is Greek in origin?
Here to discuss, debate, listen and learn.

#8 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Mesopotamian I believe, started in the parts of the world that we know as Iraq today.
Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#9 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Am I right in thinking that the pentagram as a symbol is Greek in origin?

From Wikipedia:
Sumer

The first known uses of the pentagram are found in Mesopotamian writings dating to about 3000 BC. The Sumerian pentagrams served as pictograms for the word "UB" meaning "corner, angle, nook; a small room, cavity, hole; pitfall", suggesting something very similar to the pentemychos (see below on the Pythagorean use for what pentemychos means). In René Labat's index system of Sumerianhieroglyphs/pictograms it is shown with two points up.[9] In the Babylonian context, the edges of the pentagram were probably orientations: forward, backward, left, right, and "above".[10] These directions also had an astrological meaning, representing the five planets Jupiter, Mercury, Mars, Saturn, and Venus as the "Queen of Heaven" (Ishtar) above.[10]

Edited by Aloe, 11 February 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#10 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

I have some that were given to me, one by someone I care about. I have worn them, but not for ages. I usually see it in ceremonial stuff these days (no matter where it originated) and it's not part of my personal path, but I do have feelings for one of the people who gave me one.

M

Edited by Michele, 12 February 2013 - 01:45 AM.

#11 moonthorn

moonthorn

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

Cool.
Im not assuming or accusing anyone of being Wiccan or anything.
Just curious.
Thank you

#12 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

I really can't say what it means to people, as I don't know it's meaning other than in the Wiccan teachings. Some others posted some good points about it's origins and meanings. I would say, for me, that I would first get my "spiritual base" - my connection - then see what symbols within that have relevance to me. And connection isn't necessarily deific. Everyone on here connects to something - if they didn't their magic wouldn't work. Where do you draw your strength from? The land? Your people? A specific belief? The web? For me I would not use a symbol unless it had personal meaning to me. I have in the past, lol, but personally I wouldn't now.

M

#13 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

Speaking as a non-wiccan, the pentagram means to me:....not much, honestly.

I looked through my house protections, and very many are runic in nature, it's just how I do, I guess. Pentagrams and things tho? I don't have them.

"Can't be bothered" is my response :vhappywitch:

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#14 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

Speaking as a non-wiccan, the pentagram means to me:....not much, honestly.
. . .
"Can't be bothered" is my response :vhappywitch:

Playing off of Aurelian's response (Hi, cutie!), I would say the same of runic symbols. They don't do anything much for me. We all seem to have been drawn to various symbols for personal reasons. I know there are several great threads on the various type of symbolism used by each person in their particular practice, including posts involving pentagrams and runes, so as each person locates those, they may want to bump them up, so those new to the site can have a look / see. :D

#15 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

I wear a pentagram pendant about half dollar size around the neck in plain view for everyone to see, I don't use it for spell work either. It is more a statement that I am not a christian and it does work in making some people don't bother me :cool_witch:

#16 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

The pentagram/pentacle is not something that I ever believed wiccan's coined or owned. The symbol itself has being around long before them, and can be found in many types of groups and cultures for various reasons. In fact, it's been rooted in masons as well, and they predate wicca as well.

As for use of one, I have a small quarter sized one that I magically charge for various purposes. So I use to to attrached certain things that I intend during the time frame.

Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#17 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

I wear one (when I can find it!) on a red ribbon around my neck. No one seems to notice it except tweeny goths. I also use it for a pendulum, which is completely OT, but it's mine and I like it (I also like the fact that I'm not allergic to it).
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#18 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

Using it as a pendulum is a cool idea. It goes to show there is no use for it that is cut in stone. It varies from person to person
Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#19 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

I wear one. (I have since long before I even knew what the hell wicca was.) It was a gift, a charm / talisman of protection based on my association with that person. I also have a little angel on the same necklace, but I'm not xtian, either. She is charged for deflection, based on the association that I have with the person who gave it to me. (He is not a xtian, btw.)

I don't use the pentacle in my protections, but like Jevne with her necklace, I was gifted a pair of earrings from my sister that are pentacles. They came from her so I keep them (and wear them sometimes), the same as I keep the little paper flowers she gave me. Its funny, but I also have a guardian angel coin I keep with me in my purse when I go anywhere that my other sister gave to me. It has my name on it and says "This guardian angel is watching over ...........". Which I thought was really special and I have had it for a long time. She also is not xtian. :D

#20 dawnmedos

dawnmedos

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

I also do not use the pentagramm in my home protection (here i use a special broom, witch bottles, witch balls, herbs and my familiar spirits) but i do wear a pentagramm as amulet.

for me the pentagramm is not a wiccan symbol- but many wiccans do use it.
from a historical view christians used it to protect themselves against witches and witchcraft.
so i think it is a nice coincidene that modern witches adopted the pentagramm as their symbol.
in ancient greece the pentagramm was seen as a symbol of protection and health.

i do wear a inverted pentagramm as necklace. i have empowerd this pentagramm for protection of myself in general.
but at the same time it has a symbolic meaning for me. the inverted pentagramm is for me a symbol, that the material world is filled with divinity, that nature is sacred- that spirit is weaved into matter.

We are flying threw the night, the horde of the Goddess, together with the dead and the unborn. We are her witches,we are blessing and cursing in her name.In trance and ecstasy we follow her, leaving our bodys, flying into the air. Some of us in the shape of animals, some riding on brooms and stangs and some naked in free flight.

Toad, Black Cat & Pointy Hat- My Blog About Archetypical Witchcraft