Photo
- - - - -

"Enchantment: The Witches' Art of Manipulation by Gesture, Gaze and Glamour" by Peter Paddon

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

This book has caught my eye. It's fairly new but I thought I would check and see if anyone has read it and their thoughts. This would be the first book I have read by this author though I am aware of him.

Enchantment: The Witches' Art of Manipulation by Gesture, Gaze and Glamour by Peter Paddon

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#2 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:11 AM

Excellent! This looks like its right up my alley. While, I do this already, I am curious if he has different techniques. Great find!

#3 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

Probably buy it on kindle version, read his other books and love them. I find Peter's style is easy and enjoyable to read.
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#4 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:51 AM

I wanted to ask about your opinion on this book, and I found a post already open, so I brought it up.

I bought the book because of my interest in the topic and because of the good name of the author in English-speaking trad circles. However, I was largely disappointed. I must say that I was considering buying other books from the author, but I desisted after reading this book. I'll try to sum up what I think it's good and what's not about the book, and I'm curious to hear what other think about it.

What I didn't like
- The overall tone of the book is straight-away presumptuous and self-important. The prose is full of 'and next I'm going to show you the big thing' or things in the style of 'this is the stuff no one has ever thought you'. However, while some of the stuff presented in the book is undoubtly original, most of it is just basic focussing, visualisation and concentration methods that you can find frankly anywhere. This contradiction makes reading the book generally annoying.
- Some of the techniques presented in the book will just not work straight away, or nor in the ways the author claims. Others will disagree with me, but many of the manipulations that he proposes will just have no effect at all or just get the victim to a light trance, a very relaxed state or asleep.
- For what concerns manipulation through gaze, I found him totally misleading. This being one of the few forms of manipulation that I was thought, it seems to me as if he were totally missing the point. Besides the fact that many of the techniques he proposes are just too demanding in temrs of concentration to be performed in your average line at the post office. He completely ignores the 'glamourer' posture, pace, presence or phyisicality, as if glamouring was just a matter of thinking about what you want and intensely staring at purple energy.

What I liked
- The whole section on control through touch proposes a series of interesting and very effective relaxation techniques (although they rarely will have the manipulating effect the author suggests). The way he suggests relaxation onto other people is quite clever, and many massage professionals will agree that they're all quite effective. I also learnt quite a lot about easing the passage to a state of altered consciousness (although I can't help thinking that some of these techniques, like 'opening the gate to the ancestor' smell of A.O. Spare, although this is just a feeling).
- The dramatic photos illustrating the points of the book.

Edited by Aria, 12 March 2015 - 09:53 AM.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#5 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:39 AM

Thank you Aria for your review! I see this book pop up on a fairly regular basis and I've been curious about it for some time. Sometimes it's hard to tell from the reviews on Amazon bc it's obv that some people aren't quite....ummm- "unfluffy" I suppose, lol. So sifting through those can sometimes be an aggravation.
I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#6 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:15 PM

I wanted to ask about your opinion on this book, and I found a post already open, so I brought it up.

I bought the book because of my interest in the topic and because of the good name of the author in English-speaking trad circles. However, I was largely disappointed. I must say that I was considering buying other books from the author, but I desisted after reading this book. I'll try to sum up what I think it's good and what's not about the book, and I'm curious to hear what other think about it.

What I didn't like
- The overall tone of the book is straight-away presumptuous and self-important. The prose is full of 'and next I'm going to show you the big thing' or things in the style of 'this is the stuff no one has ever thought you'. However, while some of the stuff presented in the book is undoubtly original, most of it is just basic focussing, visualisation and concentration methods that you can find frankly anywhere. This contradiction makes reading the book generally annoying.
- Some of the techniques presented in the book will just not work straight away, or nor in the ways the author claims. Others will disagree with me, but many of the manipulations that he proposes will just have no effect at all or just get the victim to a light trance, a very relaxed state or asleep.
- For what concerns manipulation through gaze, I found him totally misleading. This being one of the few forms of manipulation that I was thought, it seems to me as if he were totally missing the point. Besides the fact that many of the techniques he proposes are just too demanding in temrs of concentration to be performed in your average line at the post office. He completely ignores the 'glamourer' posture, pace, presence or phyisicality, as if glamouring was just a matter of thinking about what you want and intensely staring at purple energy.

What I liked
- The whole section on control through touch proposes a series of interesting and very effective relaxation techniques (although they rarely will have the manipulating effect the author suggests). The way he suggests relaxation onto other people is quite clever, and many massage professionals will agree that they're all quite effective. I also learnt quite a lot about easing the passage to a state of altered consciousness (although I can't help thinking that some of these techniques, like 'opening the gate to the ancestor' smell of A.O. Spare, although this is just a feeling).
- The dramatic photos illustrating the points of the book.

I have to agree with Aria this particular book is quite disappointing, it is a easy read though. My personal opinon is the technique he related in his book is more of energy manipulation and control similar to developing certain psychic abilities that lack of Magick in it's essence. Informations he presented are just a compliation of old techniques of energy Manipulation and Trancework in his own words, this book will not work for the novice without any Power or Ability. The only selling point of this book is the lack of Reputable Book or Knowledge in this area of Enchantment and Glamoury nevertheless it is still an easy read. Perhaps under his helm there are other better reads than this one,

"Some People Have A Gift For Stupidity, An Almost Mystic Ability To Withstand Any Form Of Logic"

output_dLSIE3.gif

#7 snelson1199

snelson1199

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:20 AM

I have just found this author and I am waiting for this book to come in; glad to read your review. I have been listening to his podcast on youtube waiting for the book to come in.
Sandy

#8 Vivienne

Vivienne

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:26 PM

I've got this one too and found it disappointing as well, I also have 'A Grimoire for Modern Cunningfolk' and 'Visceral Magick:Bridging the Gap Between Mundane and Magick' and they're similarly 'Meh.' Maybe its his writing style or something? *shrug* I might go back and skim them a bit- it has been a while since I looked at either but they didn't leave too strong an impression obviously.

#9 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:18 PM

I'm glad I've seen this, ive been humming and ahing about getting the modern grimoire for cunning folk. Might give it a miss now
Star x

#10 Vixea

Vixea

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:39 AM

Having literally just finished reading A Grimoire for Modern Cunning Folk, I must say I was fairly underwhelmed. I just wasn't moved by any of it and it left me deciding to take the whole work with a grain of salt. I'm not exactly sure why, but it just didn't sit with me for whatever reason. That, and (in my kindle version, at least) there were far too many grammatical errors. It was such that I had difficulty following some paragraphs of his book. Better editing could have at least made it a more palatable read.

#11 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:38 PM

Even though this thread is old at the time of my writing.

Peter Paddons book, A Grimoires for modern cunning folk is available to read for free on Violet light.com. I have also enjoyed some of his videos on Youtube

#12 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:55 PM

I enjoyed the book. I had actually picked up a number of these techniques on my own. I did learn a few new things, though.