17 replies to this topic

#1 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

I didn't want to hijack Davenport's thread about the string dolls. But I mentioned these dolls in my response. So I thought I would share what a yarn doll looks like. This is just three examples. They can be bigger of smaller. I will make a little bag and fill it with herbs, stones, parchment, etc for a purpose and put it inside the doll's body to make it a poppet.
This is a traditional Appalachian doll. I'm sure other locales make dolls like this too. I would think Pennsylvania Dutch, and the Ozarks.

Attached Files

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#2 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Oh those are amazing ! Can you share as to why the usage of the variety of colors ? This may be a fun concept to teach in your upcomming class, me thinks.... :)

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#3 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

Thanks CG! The colors for the green and yellow man I consider my Harvest doll, it would be used to end a phase and begin another one.
The blue is for peace and calm.
and the red and grey I use for wisdom.

there are many other colors that I use for different purposes.

My ETSY store:

#4 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

Thank you for sharing this. I have seen various versions of the same over the years, though, I do not personally like working with yarn too much. It gives me the heebie-jeebies. I think it is a texture thing. I recall that many that I saw were either white or black, which may not mean anything at all. It could be that those were the only colors available to the person at the time.

:)

#5 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

Growing up I always saw them in different colors. There was a lot of pink and white around this time of the year...lol (I wonder why ;) )
My ETSY store:

#6 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Growing up I always saw them in different colors. There was a lot of pink and white around this time of the year...lol (I wonder why :wink: )

Well, did you see a lot of October / November babies around your parts? :D

#7 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

There does seem to be a large amount of people born between September to December.
My ETSY store:

#8 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

Though I like to knit and crochet, I get the heebie-jeebie thing that Jevne was saying when I work with acrylic yarn. It makes my fingernails and teeth go on "edge". I don't know if that makes any sense! lol I've since started working with natural fibers like cotton and wool and that seems to "feel" better to me. Go figure.

I used to make similar, though not quite the same, dolls and things with my grandmother when I was a child. I'll see if I can dig one up, as I'm pretty sure I still have a few around here somewhere. Just for illustration of different traditions.

#9 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

I mostly use 100% wool yarn. There is certain fabrics that I hate to touch (fleece, and polyester fleece).
My ETSY store:

#10 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Those dolls are awesome Ravenflyer. I have seen them before in my childhood though I can't exactly place the memory.

#11 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Those are lovely! makes me wish I had more colorful yarn!

#12 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

Thanks guys. Glad you like them. When I make them for a purpose I will select a specific color of yarn, see up a little pouch of herbs/dirt/stone/etc. and place it inside the body of the doll. Then I will wake it of give instructions to the person to awaken it.
My ETSY store:

#13 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Color rarely plays an important part in my craft, outside of personal likes and dislikes. I think in the dolls though it could help with focus a bit.

#14 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

I think those are just beautiful! Your description of how they work is sort of like corn cob dolls work Sort of like poppets I guess. Regardless they are lovely and I love pretty things.

#15 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

Hey RF - the baby was over tonight and we made a little yarn doll (okay - I made it, she sat at the table with me and played with the cut off yarn bits and ate crackers, lol). We made it black and white (which was significant for what I was doing) and put a related piece of wood inside it for the spine. We also made a blue and black one with different wood significant to those coloours. We used 100% wool for both. Anyway, thanks for the pics... Really like them, and the yarn was much easier to work with than corn husks, lol :-)

M

Edited by Michele, 08 February 2013 - 02:59 AM.

#16 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:49 AM

That is awesome Michele. I have often put wood, and stone inside the dolls for "spines" and other purposes.
My ETSY store:

#17 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Those are wonderful, RF. Thank you for sharing.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#18 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:24 PM

Bump.
Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.