Photo
- - - - -

After spell work, this is how I feel... how about you?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 LadyRaven

LadyRaven

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

I am not a jump around, dance in a circle, loud chanting witch. Rather, I sit quietly, draw in energy, direct energy, speak my spell and that's the end of it. How I feel afterward is...

Completely cleansed. Even energized. My soul soars. My heart thumps with elation. My attitude is lifted and the world looks cleansed and brighter- as if a fog has been swooshed away. There is no feeling like it and that feeling lasts for days.

But some of the books I have read talk about gathering energy, whoopin' and hollerin', releasing that energy and how one should feel completely drained. And I know those who are when they work. Perhaps it is because they dance in a circle for an hour! Do you think their spell work is more potent if they do?

I am wondering, how do you feel after spell work?

#2 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

I am wondering, how do you feel after spell work?

Well, I pretty much feel like myself. ;) And myself is a fairly complicated individual, prone to extreme swings in mood and reaction. How I feel after a spell, depends on the spell, the location, whether or not others were involved, the type and depth of energy required . . . what time of the month it is :twisted_witch: . I will say that I am not, personally, the sit quietly type. That is not my nature, my way is different. I am intense much of the time, but can be more subdued at other times. The after feeling really just depends. I might finish a spell and sleep for 1/2 a day afterward, or I might get a burr up my ass and paint the living room, instead.

#3 BirdieMcCloud

BirdieMcCloud

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

I am not a jump around, dance in a circle, loud chanting witch. Rather, I sit quietly, draw in energy, direct energy, speak my spell and that's the end of it. How I feel afterward is...

Completely cleansed. Even energized. My soul soars. My heart thumps with elation. My attitude is lifted and the world looks cleansed and brighter- as if a fog has been swooshed away. There is no feeling like it and that feeling lasts for days.

I feel similarly - I work quietly, with some chanting/singing, and I wind up giddy, giggly, and a touch goofy for a few hours afterwards, then get sleepy and crash. But the next day I do feel fairly light on my feet. :) I knew others who would get completely drained, though. The dancing type of energy raising doesn't work for me - it falls flat and I'm left feeling like I need additional 'oomph.' For me, engaging my vocal chords is key - even if it's not a pagan chant or song, so long as the lyrics and melody are relevant, the energy will get raised.

#4 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

You may also find this thread of interest.

http://www.tradition...raising energy

#5 Kayt

Kayt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

A timely topic for me, thanks for bringing it up.

Usually I feel very calm and silently powerful after I have cast a spell. Though, I had a very different experience this week.

I had important work to do, so unlike my normal prep, I worked non-stop days before this spell. I ate very "clean", building up my body with fruits and veggies. I cleaned the house both physically and spiritually. I worked to build and recycle my body energy days before the spell. I fasted for 12 hours before the working, just to make sure I could concentrate and not be distracted by digestion. I really put everything I had into this.

After the spell, I felt the same. Calm and very grounded. However, the next day I was exhausted. This led to the start of one of the worst colds I have had in a while. Anyone can argue that these germs had gotten to me before all of this happened, but I can't shake the feeling that maybe I had given more energy out than I had raised.

All week long I have been battling this cold, but all the while thinking to myself, "I need to also take care of myself AFTER the end of an intense working!". It seems like such a rookie mistake! But, alas, here I am! :)

#6 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

A timely topic for me, thanks for bringing it up.

Usually I feel very calm and silently powerful after I have cast a spell. Though, I had a very different experience this week.

I had important work to do, so unlike my normal prep, I worked non-stop days before this spell. I ate very "clean", building up my body with fruits and veggies. I cleaned the house both physically and spiritually. I worked to build and recycle my body energy days before the spell. I fasted for 12 hours before the working, just to make sure I could concentrate and not be distracted by digestion. I really put everything I had into this.

After the spell, I felt the same. Calm and very grounded. However, the next day I was exhausted. This led to the start of one of the worst colds I have had in a while. Anyone can argue that these germs had gotten to me before all of this happened, but I can't shake the feeling that maybe I had given more energy out than I had raised.

All week long I have been battling this cold, but all the while thinking to myself, "I need to also take care of myself AFTER the end of an intense working!". It seems like such a rookie mistake! But, alas, here I am! :smile:

From personal experiance I have applied a physical bodilly cleanse prior to what I would deem "important" work. I have now found that intense bodilly cleansing is not prudent for a woman of my age. Not only was I exhausted, I set myself up for a hard recovery to even do just "simple". I still attach myself to the concept of using a fast of some sort as that physical feeling of putting aside my body needs (food) really speaks to my pschye within the working, other factors play into that as well.

I don't view this as a "rookie" mistake for me, I was well aware of what I was getting into, yet lacked the common sense, I thought I prided myself on. What I did for years and years, did not bode well as I aged, so that which was the normal for me, did not have the same results. lol ! For myself, I needed a whack on the nose, as my Path directed me to " Pick your battles, you numbskull, how can you be taught anything, if you can't even get out of bed !! "... most times my Path is the "benevolent DICTATOR ". lol !

Those that can sustain constructively through a fast of what ever nature, I can ascribe to this, for myself.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#7 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

It really depends on the type of working I'm doing as to whether I hoot and holler or dance, chant or simply murmer. I really use whatever the situation calls for, what calls to me. I'm all over the place with my daily life anyway so it stands to reason that I am the same in my spellings or rituals. I try to compensate and allow myself any healing or regenerating I may need afterward, in any case. I also find that my physical problems can affect what I'm doing as far as how I approach and prepare for things. Knowing my body, my limitations and my abilities well helps me be better prepared for any possible repercussions. If something leaves me in a bad way, I try to note it and find alternative methods , or decide if the juice is worth the squeeze, ya know?

#8 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

If something leaves me in a bad way, I try to note it and find alternative methods , or decide if the juice is worth the squeeze, ya know?

Yes, I do know. That is a really great analogy. I'm an all over the place (mentally, physically, emotionally, magically, etc.) type person, too. So, I totally get what you are saying.

#9 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

Sometimes I feel those you wrote about, exhilarated, sometimes a feeling of deep contentment; a "this is utterly who and what I am" feeling, sometimes grim satisfaction. I don't know if feeling drained is a good thing really. If one has been physically active, (run run LEAP!)that would make sense. Or if one is not very active but attempting something, and they have been at it for hours, yeah that's exhaustion there and expected. But if it is a case of a "normal" spell, I would think feeling drained is possibly using too much of one's bodily energy ( I have no idea how to word this).

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#10 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:43 AM

I think this thread speaks in some ways to the "frenzied" reference.  I thought that others might like to share how they feel after spell work and why they feel that way.

#11 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

It really depends on the spell, what I was trying to achieve and how I was trying to achieve it.

Smaller spells - I usually feel all tingly and super-connected to the energies of everything around me.

Bigger spells - I usually feel like I could take on the world.  There's been a few times that I've felt 'out of 'phase' with this realm.  Almost half here/ half there and it's lasted the rest of the day until I wake up the next morning.  Then I'm usually tired for a day or two.

When I push beyond my comfort zone and harness more power and magic than I have before - I get a horrible headache.  It feels like the right side of my head might explode.  That usually goes away if I back away from the amount of energy that I'm trying to harness or if I just stop and lay down.  If I push through it (or if I can push through it) - the headache gets worse but then I can achieve that same state later without the headache.

There was one spell I did that was way beyond my current abilities at the time.  I was not proficient at using external energy sources then and I used mainly my own.  I pushed through the headache and when I was done I was so exhausted that I just went to bed for a couple days.  On the 3rd day I was taken to the emergency room with almost 105* fever.  I don't remember ever being that sick before or since. 

I learned a lot from that working including that I don't need to use my own energy to do everything and that my own energy reserves do have limits.  It was something that I still believe needed to be done and I don't regret it.  If it wasn't for modern medicine - it probably would've killed me. 

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#12 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

I'm all over the place too sometimes I'm energized sometimes drained it completely depends on the working and all sorts of other factors. If I have been out running around after midnight howling at the moon I'm probably drained although not always sometimes baying at the moon so to speak is very liberating and energizing. Conversely if I'm sitting quietly focusing energy into my beading I might end up completely drained because I just put it all into my working. I'm a capricious sort with my magic I do whatever comes to mind unless its one of my long term workings those I plan out like a captain navigating stormy waters.

#13 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:42 AM

I have been deep in concentration these last couple of days trying to make a connection.Im not ready for a huge family gathering for xmas its all still to deep for me and yet the thought did/dose excite me to see my cousins again.The truth is I don't think I can cope with all that comes with it soooo I have been working hard on this connection anywayz this morning I had this hugeee hunger. Every thing i put in my mouth was an immense overload of tast buds going hay wire. It seems at the mo that all that i eat is like I have never eaten bit before new like and is not just the food most odd this has never happened before. Feels like im on high alert like a bulb burning to bright before it fuses. Ohh well I can only go bang I guess lol. Not as in sex tho it may be worth a try

#14 Willau

Willau

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:20 AM

When I do cast, I put a lot of timing into the working, not all at once but more like in "baby-steps", until the final intent is cast off to do it's purpose. I used to do alot of off the cuff, something that needs to be done right now, but now that I have gotten older, I work on the important things in my life, & put the time & energy into it, while I live my mundane life as well.

On the surface, I am a very patient spirit, but after I cast, when it starts taking too long to "know" the results, it's the anxiety that sucks my energy.

I've gotten to the point that when that ugly head of anxiety hits me, that I start preparing for the next knot in the weave...........step, by step. :D

#15 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:48 AM

It really depends on the spell, what I was trying to achieve and how I was trying to achieve it.

Smaller spells - I usually feel all tingly and super-connected to the energies of everything around me.

Bigger spells - I usually feel like I could take on the world.  There's been a few times that I've felt 'out of 'phase' with this realm.  Almost half here/ half there and it's lasted the rest of the day until I wake up the next morning.  Then I'm usually tired for a day or two.

When I push beyond my comfort zone and harness more power and magic than I have before - I get a horrible headache.  It feels like the right side of my head might explode.  That usually goes away if I back away from the amount of energy that I'm trying to harness or if I just stop and lay down.  If I push through it (or if I can push through it) - the headache gets worse but then I can achieve that same state later without the headache.

There was one spell I did that was way beyond my current abilities at the time.  I was not proficient at using external energy sources then and I used mainly my own.  I pushed through the headache and when I was done I was so exhausted that I just went to bed for a couple days.  On the 3rd day I was taken to the emergency room with almost 105* fever.  I don't remember ever being that sick before or since. 

I learned a lot from that working including that I don't need to use my own energy to do everything and that my own energy reserves do have limits.  It was something that I still believe needed to be done and I don't regret it.  If it wasn't for modern medicine - it probably would've killed me. 

This was interesting, Rose. Thank you for sharing.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#16 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

How I feel afterword is different for different types of spells and also different moods that I may be in.  Too many different things come into play for a cut and dried "this is how I always feel after casting" response.  

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#17 BrythonicWitch

BrythonicWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

Generally I feel calm, grounded and with little fluttery jitters of excitement in my stomach. However it depends on the working. Banishings or jinxes tend to leave me feeling drained due to the feelings they stir up. I'm not overly active when I cast, however I do use belly dance as a factor in ritual if the mood takes me. The style of belly dance I do is slow and controlled so it often adds to the energy I'm raising without much frenetic effort. 

"These late eclipses in the sun and moon portend no good to us." - King Lear

"The croaking raven doth bellow for revenge." - Hamlet 

#18 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

Like the others have noted, how I feel afterwards is completely contingent on the type of work I'm doing.

I seem to be most drained after performing a banishing.  It's the most physically intense work I do, so I suppose it's natural to be wiped out afterwards.

When casting during the recent lunar eclipse, I felt preternaturally calm and peaceful after the fact.  

Sometimes, especially when casting mid-day, the after-effects feel almost like the satisfied sensation immediately following an orgasm.

Little magical acts that don't require raising much energy leaves me feeling grounded, content, and confident.

#19 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

Depends what work I do.  Can leave me either drained and tired, or ecstatic and full of energy.....  Sometimes I get really hot.  Really hot.  Intense sometimes.  Other times I may be in a daze afterwards, or sleepy, or totally awake and ready to tackle the world.  Sometimes, I just feel normal afterwards.  Really depends on the type of work.

#20 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Lazy witch

• Moderators
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

Sometimes I feel the same, sometimes energized, sometimes I feel drained. Depends on the working. Dark workings have the strongest reaction, and healing tends to drain me the most. Yoga and meditation/energy work really helps, if I do it beforehand.

RSKHFMY