Chicken Adobo

Havilland

As per request..

This is a super basic recipe given to me from my FIL. Adobo is one of the staples in filipino cooking, and you can use pretty much any meat you want. The two basic choices are chicken and pork. I'll admit, I'm a breast girl, but since this recipe needs a little time to cook, dark meat (like thighs) works best. I throw in random herbs when I make this, but the basic recipe is very good on its own.

What you need:

~Vegetable Oil to brown your chicken

~1 (3 poundish) chicken cut into pieces. Normally I just buy thighs and pop them in without cutting them up. 4-5 work well.

~ 1 onion sliced

~ 2 cloves of garlic

~ 1 tbsp garlic powder

~ 1 tbsp black pepper

~ 1 or 2 bay leaves

~ Equal portions of Apple Cider Vinegar and Soy Sauce. I recommend at least 1/2 cup of each. This makes it saucier than traditional adobo but the sauce is so freaking yummy poured over rice that I make enough to practically cover the chicken while in the skillet.

Cooking Directions:

1) Heat the vegetable oil in the skillet and pop in the chicken until brown on both sides.

2) Add in the garlic and onion, then pour in the vinegar and soy sauce. Season it with the garlic powder, black pepper and bay leaf. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low, cover and simmer for about 30-40 minutes.

Note: I normally cook thighs with the bone in, but have had success with breasts. If you use breasts you have to be careful of overcooking it, it gets pretty dry, but since I normally make an excess of the sauce no one except my other half complains. You can add in whatever herbs are calling your name, every recipe differs. If you don't have apple cider vinegar white vinegar works but it's no where near as tasty. Attached is a picture, I don't know if it will make you want to eat it or not since it's not plated and is cooking but it was ridicules good. My kids ate 3 servings and just might explode.

post-1588-0-29153300-1358991710_thumb.jpg

I made this last night in a cast iron skillet, it was delicious. I put slivered carrots and sweet peas in the sauce, and added a little corn starch to make the sauce thicker.

I played with the combination of soy and ACV, as both of those ingrediants can fight to be noticed ! Served it over jasmine rice with chives. Definate hit, will make this again.

Thank you Schnakessss :) :atoast:

Regards,

Gypsy

So funny, Havilland, because I just watched the Top Chef (in the US) this week and the winning chef was talking about the native Fillipino dish being Adobo and I was thinking I wasn't hearing him correctly, because I JUST heard about this dish from you. And yes, he served it over rice. :)

• 1 month later...

It is really scrumptious !! For me, I had to taste the ratio of Soy Sauce and A.C.V. in the original recipe. Those two flavors really battle for

recognition in the dish, in my humble opinion. Also what I found was that little bit of corn starch, thickened the incredible sauce, due to the release of the

natural hydration of my raw veggies added for color and vitamins. ( peas/carrots) Give this recipe a go, you won't be disappointed at all. It's one of those

dishes that's even better the next day, the flavors just meld and mesh. Yum to this !

Regards,

Gypsy

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I prefer using pork steaks as well for adobo, although I marinate the meat in the combined sauce ingredients for at least an hour. It pairs very well with simple coconut rice. To give it a Hawaiian flair, add a small can of crushed pineapple to the sauce. Mmmm, I know what I'm making for dinner now!