The New Orleans Voodoo Handbook

RavenFlyer

So I read this book in the past week, and I have to say it was an EH type of of book. Kenzan FIlan is the author, and he spends the first 160 pages writing about the history of New Orleans. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I found myself skimming it more than actually reading it.

Once part 3 starts titled: The Spirits the author begins to share information that is pertinent to actually understanding and practicing the faith that was born in NOLA. He discusses some lesser known important spirits to the New Orleans practitioners. There were even some spirits I had not heard of. He then discusses gris-gris bags, oils, and dolls/poppets.

The informative sections runs from page 160 to about 280. (I think those are the page numbers, the book is upstairs and I don't care enough to go look).

After the good section he derails again into being a tour guide discussing where to eat and stay in the city. Which would be good if I had bought a travel guide.

I can't say I would recommend you buy this book, but if you can borrow it or check it out from a library I would say to that just for the section on the spirits, gris-gris, oils, and dolls/poppets.

The book could have been much shorter, and I would have given it a higher rating. However, the fact that the book acts more like a tourists guidebook I couldn't give it a high rating based on what the title says it's supposed to be about. Only about 1/3 of the book actually discusses the subject.