Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thevioletsunflower

Help with Weight Loss

Actually, I recently found out the answer to the cheese question. Apparently, once upon a time, people who were taking long travels realized that cow stomachs were good, lightweight,waterproof containers. So they'd fill them with milk and honey for their journey, and then after walking, and the added warmth from their body, and the constant churning from all the moving that the person did, combined with the enzymes that were still in the stomach pouch, the milk would curdle. And thus, cheese. Useless trivia, I know :)

Thanks for sharing this ....always wondered.

FB :cool_witch:

Few to no herbs will aid you in weight loss. There is a mass of pseudoscience claiming all sorts, none of which is proven to have any effect whatsoever. Many do aid in digestion though such as Fennel.

I couldn't agree more with you. Sensible eating plan and exercise will bring about the results, like everything, it just takes time. The quicker you lose, the quicker it seems to go back on haha. it all comes down to a change in lifestyle. Good post. Thanks.

Marabet, I really sympathise with you, since I had a similar experience. I put on almost 130 lbs due to medication (I was hospitalised and had no choice), it was really quick but the road back to normal weight has not been so quick! I lost about 40 lbs and I'm still working on the rest. I always led a fairly healthy lifestyle (healthy vegetarian foods, mostly organic) and it did feel unfair, having never had any weight issues. I pretty sure my hormones got all messed up from the meds - I lost my period for 2 years.

Anyway, I'm experimenting with living/raw foods. It seems to be working pretty well for me, slowly but it's working. Exercise, of course, it's pretty much a no brainer. We know it's helpful.

I'd like to recommend a book as well, it's a diet free approach, called the Gabriel Method. It's about the mind-body connection and how your body might think being fat is good for you (the whole flight or fight thing and starvation is always around the corner way our bodies work, since they are made for a time where food was scares). It recommends visulisation exercises to help your body get on the same page as you.

Your initial question was on herbs - and I think those I'm familiar with have already been covered in previous replies. You might want to try some cleansing herbs (I think you're already looking for Dandelion) since some meds/toxic stuff might be stored in your fat cells (already covered in a previous reply aswell I think).

This reply was mostly to say, I'm rooting for you and I have a pretty good idea of what it's like!

As a self-proclaimed lover of all things sweet, salty, and gloriously bloody, I wanted to mention that I have personally found weight loss salvation in Weight Watchers. I have dropped 25 lbs in three months with very little sacrifice on my part. Of course, it costs money to participate in the program, but it's healthy and above all, extremely easy. As long as I stay within my daily point allotment, I can eat what I want, when I want. No special meals. No chalky diet shakes. No beating myself up over the fact that I love steak and ice cream. I like me. I want me to be happy. This makes me happy, and I've dropped a pant's size. Whoot!

Jevne

Marabet, I really sympathise with you, since I had a similar experience. I put on almost 130 lbs due to medication (I was hospitalised and had no choice), it was really quick but the road back to normal weight has not been so quick! I lost about 40 lbs and I'm still working on the rest. I always led a fairly healthy lifestyle (healthy vegetarian foods, mostly organic) and it did feel unfair, having never had any weight issues. I pretty sure my hormones got all messed up from the meds - I lost my period for 2 years.

Anyway, I'm experimenting with living/raw foods. It seems to be working pretty well for me, slowly but it's working. Exercise, of course, it's pretty much a no brainer. We know it's helpful.

I'd like to recommend a book as well, it's a diet free approach, called the Gabriel Method. It's about the mind-body connection and how your body might think being fat is good for you (the whole flight or fight thing and starvation is always around the corner way our bodies work, since they are made for a time where food was scares). It recommends visulisation exercises to help your body get on the same page as you.

Your initial question was on herbs - and I think those I'm familiar with have already been covered in previous replies. You might want to try some cleansing herbs (I think you're already looking for Dandelion) since some meds/toxic stuff might be stored in your fat cells (already covered in a previous reply aswell I think).

This reply was mostly to say, I'm rooting for you and I have a pretty good idea of what it's like!

I cannot thank you enough for this post, Betula! It really made my day.

I have been thinking about raw and living foods. I have incorporated a lot of them into my diet. My kiddos love green smoothies and raw flax chips (both so easy to make). I am going to look into the Gabriel Method.

I dug this thread up because as of about fifteen minutes ago, I joined Weight Watchers.

A quick summary: I was athletic and thin growing up, put on about 30-40 pounds in my mid-twenties (hello booze) and then got super skinny in my early thirties thanks to what I like to call the Nervous Breakdown Diet (shitty boyfriend plus high pressure job plus semi-poverty plus teeter totter of anxiety/depression = extreme weight loss). Then I got pregnant (by new, non-shitty boyfriend) and was forced to take good care of myself. During my whole pregnancy, the doctor acted like I was too skinny and by the last trimester, worried me about having a smaller than usual belly. So, I pigged the fuck out, all worried that my baby was going to be too small. He turned out to be totally normal sized (7 lbs) and hungry as hell. I had a C-section and pretty much laid on the couch for two months constantly breastfeeding and eating white doughnuts (okay, kind of an exaggeration but you get the gist). I have been more hungry while nursing this boy (who is a beast of a boy now, 99 percentile for height and weight) than I ever was while pregnant and guess what? I'm fat. I am about forty pounds over what my comfortable weight is. No clothes from before fit me so I schlep around like an old lady in sweat pants. I expect someone is going to ambush me with a television makeover at any moment.

So, today, I joined Weight Watchers Online. I think I just wanted to tell someone so I'm telling you guys. I don't mean to commandeer this thread, but I didn't think it was worth starting a new one.

As to anything witchy, I am not really looking for herbal help or anything. You all are way more advanced than me there. I am simply trying not to eat a whole bag of Doritos in a day.

Anyhow, the only way I am thinking magically in this situation is more for inner work and continued motivation. Thanks for hearing me out. :D

Love Weight Watchers. Lost 42 lbs, so far.

Jevne

Love Weight Watchers. Lost 42 lbs, so far.

Jevne

Oh wow! See, that inspires me. Way to go! :clap:

Not useless at all. In fact, that is one of the most interesting things I've read today.

Thanks,

Jevne

I'd have to agree.. I always wondered exactly how they stumbled onto cheese. I suppose it's kinda gross if you overthink it, but I love the stuff.

Regards losing weight.. always a bit of a volatile issue, there are as many different diets as there are people, almost.

I've had some success there though, so here are my tips. I think the best thing to do is stay away from too many starches, carbs, sugars, and especially alcohol. Don't cut carbs completely though, that's just plain unhealthy in the long run, but do keep them on the low side, and the protein level high. I've read of many studies now that suggest high protein/low carb food lifestyles (not mere crash diets) yield effective results.

My demon is the damn Mead. I love the stuff but there is so many calories in a bottle it's obscene. There is little good about alcohol, but at least beer and wine have some benefits. Distilled spirits have no nutritional benefits at all however, so I don't do them, period.

Some people can put on some extra weight, and because of their frame, it still looks natural.. me, I've got tiny bones.. at least, my hips/pelvis and wrists.. so even a little bit o' spare tire sticks out on me like crazy. Argh, I have so little grace area!

More than anything else, I keep it at bay with regular visits to the gym, which I'm always on here advocating.

I want to stress here that diet alone, and by diet I mean your eating lifestyle, is not likely to be enough, especially when you're older. You cannot lead a sedentary lifestyle and be thin. You MUST get active. The payoff is enormous, even from just a heart health perspective. I always get psyched around summertime because I can ride my bike and overall just "get physical", to quote Olivia Newton John. (oh god I just outdated myself)

Supplement wise.. while not for everyone -!!- I also use a supplement called Fastin, which has a compound known as PEA, as well as green tea and some other goodies. IMO, it's one of the best fat burners out there and I've tried quite a few. PEA is effective and relatively safe. There are some key ingredients I look for, and Fastin has them all. That said, I never take a full pill at once, it seems to be a bit too much on the heart., so no more than a half pill at a time, twice a day.

Also, look for CLA pills - Conjugated Lineolic Acid, it helps fat to break down. I'd swear by them too. You can find them at most drug store chains, with the rest of the vitamins.

More than anything else, I keep it at bay with regular visits to the gym, which I'm always on here advocating.

I want to stress here that diet alone, and by diet I mean your eating lifestyle, is not likely to be enough, especially when you're older. You cannot lead a sedentary lifestyle and be thin. You MUST get active. The payoff is enormous, even from just a heart health perspective. I always get psyched around summertime because I can ride my bike and overall just "get physical", to quote Olivia Newton John. (oh god I just outdated myself)

Supplement wise.. while not for everyone -!!- I also use a supplement called Fastin, which has a compound known as PEA, as well as green tea and some other goodies. IMO, it's one of the best fat burners out there and I've tried quite a few. PEA is effective and relatively safe. There are some key ingredients I look for, and Fastin has them all. That said, I never take a full pill at once, it seems to be a bit too much on the heart., so no more than a half pill at a time, twice a day.

Also, look for CLA pills - Conjugated Lineolic Acid, it helps fat to break down. I'd swear by them too. You can find them at most drug store chains, with the rest of the vitamins.

Here here!

My father's a nutritionist and a personal trainer, he actually started his own gym a year back too. Growing up we always ate super healthy, and I exercised app 10 times a week (competitive swimmer). When I reached my teenage years I started secretly buying white bread to rebel (I know, I was BAD :D) and eating stuff I shouldn't. When I was about 16 my parents got divorced, right around the same time I started swimming less and less, later on completely dropping it. After he moved out our whole family's eating habbits changed a lot, we still ate well, but there were definitely more of the undesirables on the menu. Personally, I didn't really start gaining weight till I started working at a donut store, 40 pounds in 4 months. A few months after, I moved to London, and being in a completely new city made me loose all that weight in just 3 months, mainly just by walking EVERYWHERE even if I did eat a lot of junk. But then I moved back here and now, 4 years later, I've probably gained 40 to 50 pounds. Now while I know exactly what I need to do in order to loose it, I just can't seem to get myself to do it. I know for a fact that I should start eating more often and less on each meal, my biggest problem being portion control and eating only twice a day. Eating huge meals makes your blood sugar shoot way up really fast, and crashing it down even faster which makes you so tired for the rest of the day/till the next meal that you won't do anything or go anywhere. Also, I get SAD (seasonal affective disorder) in the winter here, and the winters are looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong. And when I've got that, I really can't get myself up to do anything. But I'm hopefull that now that summer's finally coming I'll be able to get out more and do stuff.

And I can't say for anything for Fastin, but usually weight loss pills only work with the right diet. And the problem with pills like Xenical is that while yes, the do help break the fat cells, you basically can't eat any fatty foods or you'll get oily farts, liquid poop and all sorts of other great side effects. There really isn't a way to magic this problem away, and everything comes with a price, some more severe (heart problems) than others (inconvenient farting etc).

All in all the best way is just to watch what you eat and exercise. And I would really watch what you eat, really go into those ingredient listings on packages and see how many additives they put in the food, really look at how much saturated fats the foods have and overall calorie amounts. Breakfasts are really important, and so is snacking in between meals, but the snacks really should be something like an apple instead of PB&J. That said if you do exercise well you CAN eat anything you want and as much of it as you want. One of the best things to do when you've got some extra weight is to swim, it's really easy on the joints and it's super efficient. Definitely can't go running unless you wan't knee surgery later on.

Now let's just hope I'll be able to actually take my own advice....

These are all wonderful suggestions; eating right, exercising, supplements, vitamins, etc. While I am pleased with Weight Watchers, as my solution, I would be amiss if I did not mention that I also cast a spell on myself to make this work. I just had to focus on the right motivating factors for me, instead of just a general weight loss spell. Just wanted to point out that magic is relevant to this situation, as much as to any other.

These are all wonderful suggestions; eating right, exercising, supplements, vitamins, etc. While I am pleased with Weight Watchers, as my solution, I would be amiss if I did not mention that I also cast a spell on myself to make this work. I just had to focus on the right motivating factors for me, instead of just a general weight loss spell. Just wanted to point out that magic is relevant to this situation, as much as to any other.

This. As well as eating right and exercise not being enough for some. Or, rather, it's not that simple. "Eating right" is such a borad statement- easy to say, harder to pinpoint. What is "eating right" for one isn't the same for another person.

I just want to throw that out there to make sure people understand that losing weight isn't always that simple and sometimes we need an extra something (which is why I started this thread- for weight loss help beyond "eat right and exercise"). Magic can certainly come in in that way as can other things.

I used to drink water with cayanne pepper in it, like Aloe, but I also added some lemon juice and on occasion fresh mint/basil. I drank about 3 litres of that a day, so a fair amount. It kinda felt like it was cleaning me inside and out, and I definitely felt more energetic. I don't do that anymore though, been meaning to start it again. I still drink a ton of water a day. Also, when I was a kid my uncle used to make me some weird drink that was hot and had a honey flavor... I need to find out what else he put in it, it filled you up in a second. Down side was it also made you really drowsy. Guess that's cool too if you enjoy it at night before bed. I'd really suggest the cayanne, lemon, basil drink, served ice cold.

Congradulations on your weight loss Jevne. Ya know, it never occured to me to cast a spell on myself regarding this, but I wouldn't be hesitant to cast a spell on a certain tea concoction that I would brew for myself, that already had bonifide claims for weight loss. Or like seacow and Aloe, making a drink with already herbs and spices within it to cast a spell upon. Perhaps something to get a jump start on, like a cleansing for the liver, and keeping that in proper working order, flushing out toxins and such.

Regards,

Gypsy

I am really glad you said this, especially the part about the "right motivating factors." That's sort of what I was getting at when I said I needed to do some inner work. I hadn't ruled out magic when I posted before, but, I wasn't and am still not sure exactly what I want to do and how. I know I have a time frame and some clues about what to focus on, but all of the pieces of the puzzle aren't there yet. So for now, I wait. A generic weight loss spell doesn't sound appealing to me either. For one, the term "weight loss" is so icky to me...it's like, focusing on a lack and is too clinical--it definitely doesn't rev up my imagination and I need that to do magic successfully. For two, my weight gain isn't simple or external--there's some internal factors, emotional patterns, blah blah...shit I have to figure out about myself in order to swing the balance the other way.

I think I am starting to veer into territory that would be better suited in a new thread: inner work and magic. Most of my workings this far have been oriented towards very measurable external results, but I am feeling the need to use magic to make progress in my inner life right now and I don't really know how to talk about that. I'll try posting a new thread when I am less tired than tonight (after 2 miles of walking and an hour of yoga! not all in a row though).

Cheers all!

I always have a little glass of cider vinegar and honey in the morning. Some people mix it with warm water, it works for me.I call it my degreaser,mind you i do love vinegar,always taking a gulp when making salads

I always have a little glass of cider vinegar and honey in the morning. Some people mix it with warm water, it works for me.I call it my degreaser,mind you i do love vinegar,always taking a gulp when making salads

I have heard really good things about ACV in the morning for overall health and weight loss. I have some Bragg's ACV on order to try it out. I started using it on my face and it helped get rid of some acnes scares (the dark kind) I had had for a while.

When I got hurt at work, 12 years ago, I was on medication that made me gain a significant amount of weight. Unfortunately, it wasn't until I was able to stop taking them that I lost all of that weight. I was, however, able to lose enough weight on Weight Watchers to decrease the pain in my knees and lessen my heartburn a bit. Helps me now with how hard I was on myself then because I know I was truly doing everything I could to help myself, even if I couldn't really exercise. I also have 5 kids and then they were between 2 & 12. It's really hard.

The reason it helps me now is that 4yrs ago, I broke my neck. I've had surgery and it failed. I'm back on the meds that blew me up so bad before (only now they're stronger and longer lasting) and I have yet again gained weight. The difference is that now my condition is permanent and those meds are the only thing that allow me to function at all, physically, weight gain be damned. I'm a bit easier on myself. I've had to check my ego and accept that I do the best I can and it doesn't change who I am.

You have a great attitude, seem to make the right food choices, you're active. You're doing all the right things. It will likely come off when you either stop taking them or they make an alternative.

I wish you the best.

Whoot. In that case, perhaps you could try adding cayenne to your diet if its not already there. I use organic bulk cayenne, and I always make sure its at least 100,000 heat units. When I grew my own cayenne peppers they didn't come out as hot as I wanted, so I buy them, but the habenero's I can grow myself and they were still as hot as they're supposed to be.

Capsaicin (the property that makes it hot) thins the blood, and for me I find this gives me more energy. It also aids in digestion. Two things that tend to help with weight loss when you're already eating good food in proper portions. Since it does thin the blood, you'll want to avoid this if you're on blood thinners, or have some other medical condition that would be adversely affected by your blood being thinned.

I have a quick question on this- since I am a wuss and can't handle hot things, could I swallow a portion of the pepper whole? (i.e. in slices?) Weird question, I know, but I always wondered if that would somehow affect the effects of the pepper if one did that. Also, it would save my tongue from the flames (at least MOST of them :-P)

Your tongue may not be in flames, but something else will be as it exits, LOL. You have been warned!

I have a quick question on this- since I am a wuss and can't handle hot things, could I swallow a portion of the pepper whole? (i.e. in slices?) Weird question, I know, but I always wondered if that would somehow affect the effects of the pepper if one did that. Also, it would save my tongue from the flames (at least MOST of them :-P)

Some herbalists I know go back and forth on this, but I'm of the opinion that it's harder on your body to take it in capsules or just swallow the pepper whole. There's a theory that the burning sensation causes your brain to signal your stomach that causes it to start preparing the digestive 'juices' needed in order to properly process high levels of capsaicin.

That's the theory I've heard and based on my experiments with both methods I prefer to feel the heat. Some disagree though so I guess in the end you'd just have to experiment. :)

I wouldn't take cayenne in capsules. As Aloe pointed out, it doesn't give your body enough time to digest the enzymes. Swallowing the pepper whole won't work either for the same reason and may make you feel heat "on the way out". Eating the pepper is really the only way to get the benefit of the capsaicin for weight loss purposes. I, too, don't like anything spicy-hot so avoid hot peppers like the plague. Aloe's probably the one to steer you to the mildest - she'll eat anything.

Aloe's probably the one to steer you to the mildest - she'll eat anything.

You know me so well! :cheers: LOL!

Bry for mild but still with some burn, I'd start out with plain store bought jalepeno's and work your way up.

OMG Autumn Moon you had be laughing! I figured "the way out" would suck but hey, if it helps...

Anyway, there is no way I will ever "work my way up"- I have tried and am, as I said, still a wuss and a half. I will eat jalos but, yeah, they have to be cooked down to nothing or so mild why would anyone bother. hahahahaha!

Thanks so much for the replies. Sucks my master plan wouldn't work but oh well, at least now I know.

Hello,

Today I like to share a spell I used that worked very well for me. It is something between witchcraft and hypnosis.

Start this spell using the way you generally use. Light candles, call energies, whatever you do in the beginning of a spell.

The content of the spell I use is:

I ask to energies to totally feel my stomach.

(pause until you feell your stomach full)

It is so pleasant to sense the fullness of my stomach,

it is pleasant to feel that my stomach contracts,

when now only small amount of food and

a few drinks of water are enough to feel truly Full.

And now with every breath, more energies goes deep into my lungs,

and then it accumulates around my stomach,

and with every breath, warm energies it gets more and more around my stomach.

From all sides, warm energies's squeeze my stomach.

Now I will count to 10, and when I say 10, my stomach will completely contract.

One, the wall of my stomach is encircled with warm airflow's from all sides.

Two, I can feel pressure on the walls of my stomach, it is very pleasant and soft.

Three, the walls of my stomach get cool, and warm airflow become cold.

Four, only 8 spoons of food are enough to feel true satiation.

Five, only 10 sips of water can get into my stomach.

Six, the walls of the stomach go on getting cool while contracting.

Seven, Now energies gathers round my stomach like a framework from all sides.

Eight, this energies wall around my stomach become very dense and elastic.

Nine, after a while I will name the last number and my stomach will completely contract; it is very elastic as if it was a child’s rubber ball.

Ten, my stomach has completely contracted, and will remain contracted.

(make a pause to feel your stomach contacted, then continue)

I will just begin to forget eating and will lose patience during nutritious meals, because it may prevent you from doing more interesting things, or I just stop enjoying some excessively nutritious products, or you will just start enjoying new products and new ways of low-calorie food and preparing and absorbing it.

Here finish the spell as you usually do.

I hope it will work for anyone who want try it.