Photo
- - - - -

Help with Weight Loss

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#41 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:00 AM

I have a friend that put on 50 pounds from a med, before they took her off. When I first fled my marriage I was in a homeless shelter and several women there had gained so much weight from their psyche meds that they had to sleep on breathing machines. Steroids can also cause crazy weight gain of both fat and edema. Unfortunately it is the only drug that works for out of control asthma. Chemotherapy is awful for weight gain too.

Considering I know I am luck for only gaining about 20+ lbs vs the 60 one friend put on and the 75 another did due to meds. It's so awful that something you need can cause pain in another area. For some putting on the weight is nothing, for others it causes more heath problems. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Does anyone happen to know if they sell Dandelion root tea in packets commonly? I'm sure I can get it online but am wondering if my health food store could possibly carry it in tea bag form.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#42 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:02 AM

Whatevs! I'll totally haunt your ass.

LOL well me and your ghost will have some dandelion tea then. ;)

Most health food stores carry it. Even the commissary at the Air Force Base I'm currently at carries it.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#43 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:13 AM

Of course I thought to call right after I asked. Posted Image Both stores carry it.

#44 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:39 AM

I was just looking at the 6 week plan again. I would cut the 4 pieces of fruit down to 2 pieces and only have a 1/2 piece at a time. Some people cannot convert much fruit sugar into immediate fuel, because it has to be processed by the liver or something like that. So if the liver has processed as much as it can handle, no matter how hungry you are, your body turns the fruit sugar into fat...or so I have been told. When dieting and hungry, we cannot afford the chance of ingesting something that cannot be turned into immediate fuel and gets stored as more fat instead :-0

I'm not an expert, but reading about the lowest calorie diabetic plans taught me a few things, that the 6 week plan seemed to have missed. Die hard vegan 6 week planners don't believe any of the diabetic research, but...when observing my own body that is diabetic like from PCOS, I do believe it to be true. Eating a piece of fruit when I am on the verge of fainting from hunger does nothing to help me. But 1/4 cup of Fiber One cereal with 1/4 cup skim milk which had the same of less calories helps a lot. Weird :-0

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#45 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:08 AM

I was just looking at the 6 week plan again. I would cut the 4 pieces of fruit down to 2 pieces and only have a 1/2 piece at a time. Some people cannot convert much fruit sugar into immediate fuel, because it has to be processed by the liver or something like that. So if the liver has processed as much as it can handle, no matter how hungry you are, your body turns the fruit sugar into fat...or so I have been told. When dieting and hungry, we cannot afford the chance of ingesting something that cannot be turned into immediate fuel and gets stored as more fat instead :-0

I'm not an expert, but reading about the lowest calorie diabetic plans taught me a few things, that the 6 week plan seemed to have missed. Die hard vegan 6 week planners don't believe any of the diabetic research, but...when observing my own body that is diabetic like from PCOS, I do believe it to be true. Eating a piece of fruit when I am on the verge of fainting from hunger does nothing to help me. But 1/4 cup of Fiber One cereal with 1/4 cup skim milk which had the same of less calories helps a lot. Weird :-0

The #1 thing we all have to remember when it comes to health is every body is different. Do what you need to do for you.

#46 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

The #1 thing we all have to remember when it comes to health is every body is different. Do what you need to do for you.

Yes, each body is so different! And scientifically proven different, especially in diabetic/carb/sugar, lactose, and cholesterol type reactions. For a long time people of African descent were tortured with diets requiring milk and such a large percentage of them cannot digest milk like northern europeans can. And people of Native American descent that suffered mass famine only a couple generations back, are more sensitive to diabetic type reactions. Premenopausal women can handle more cholesterol than men and postmenopausal women.

And of course we know there are things to consider that go past those things that have been scientifically proven :-)

Do you all consider black tea and coffee herbs?

Aliis volat propriis.

#47 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:22 PM

I saw in another thread, that you were revisiting some old wicca books, to glean any tid bits. Wicca in the Kitchen has an entire section on weight loss. Herbs listed are Chickweed, dill and Fennel. If you don't have the book and want me to type out more info from it I will. I was checking out anything and everything I had yesterday and this morning looking for info on salt and juniper berries.
Aliis volat propriis.

#48 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:33 AM

I found this information interesting, I'll credit my source at the bottom.

Glucomannan : Feeling full without filling up

Glucomannan or Konjac mannan is a polysacharide obtained from the tubers of a perennial plant widely cultivated thoughtout the east from Indonesia to Japan. In such places, it's employed in the preparation of a foodstuff known as konjaku flour. Process of konjaku flour by one of the several methods yields glucomannan.

The most remarkable thing about glucomannan is what happens when it comes into contact with liquid - it expands to 60 times its original volume when taken internally. This phenomenon has caused the product to be marketed as a weight-loss aid in the belief that this increased bulk in the gut produces a sense of fullness. To some extent this is correct, but in reality, glucomannan is a rather effective albeit somewhat slow, bulk laxative.

A practiccal way in which to use this is with cereal grains. For example, one morning have 2 buckwheat pancakes for breakfast and another morning have 2 slices of 7 grain French toast, both with maple syrup. Around 11 a.m. or when hunger set in take 4 capules with a full glass of water. By the time dinner arrives consider whole-grain breads, rolls, muffins, pastas, or a baked potato ( with the skin intact ) for supper items.

You've effectively limited yourself to just two meals a day. Several smaller meals and two capsules every couple of hours may be another option to pursue. Whatever program is right for you, rest assured that glucomannan will definitely help you shed unwanted pounds in a matter of weeks.

Regards,
Gypsy

Credit Source : Healing Power of Herbs by Dr. John Heinerman, 1997

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#49 GardeningMommy

GardeningMommy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

LOL I know! Maybe I am wrong but I also heard that they use to make cheese by pouring milk into a cows stomach, if that was the case, I always wondered what possessed people to even start that up, not that I am ungrateful for cheese or anything...

Actually, I recently found out the answer to the cheese question. Apparently, once upon a time, people who were taking long travels realized that cow stomachs were good, lightweight,waterproof containers. So they'd fill them with milk and honey for their journey, and then after walking, and the added warmth from their body, and the constant churning from all the moving that the person did, combined with the enzymes that were still in the stomach pouch, the milk would curdle. And thus, cheese. Useless trivia, I know :)

#50 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

Actually, I recently found out the answer to the cheese question. Apparently, once upon a time, people who were taking long travels realized that cow stomachs were good, lightweight,waterproof containers. So they'd fill them with milk and honey for their journey, and then after walking, and the added warmth from their body, and the constant churning from all the moving that the person did, combined with the enzymes that were still in the stomach pouch, the milk would curdle. And thus, cheese. Useless trivia, I know :)

Not useless at all. In fact, that is one of the most interesting things I've read today.

Thanks,
Jevne

#51 firebird

firebird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for sharing this ....always wondered.

FB :cool_witch:

#52 Tempest_Moon

Tempest_Moon

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

[quote name='Honeythorn' timestamp='1320015564' post='114144']
Few to no herbs will aid you in weight loss. There is a mass of pseudoscience claiming all sorts, none of which is proven to have any effect whatsoever. Many do aid in digestion though such as Fennel.

I couldn't agree more with you. Sensible eating plan and exercise will bring about the results, like everything, it just takes time. The quicker you lose, the quicker it seems to go back on haha. it all comes down to a change in lifestyle. Good post. Thanks.

#53 Betula

Betula

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

Marabet, I really sympathise with you, since I had a similar experience. I put on almost 130 lbs due to medication (I was hospitalised and had no choice), it was really quick but the road back to normal weight has not been so quick! I lost about 40 lbs and I'm still working on the rest. I always led a fairly healthy lifestyle (healthy vegetarian foods, mostly organic) and it did feel unfair, having never had any weight issues. I pretty sure my hormones got all messed up from the meds - I lost my period for 2 years.
Anyway, I'm experimenting with living/raw foods. It seems to be working pretty well for me, slowly but it's working. Exercise, of course, it's pretty much a no brainer. We know it's helpful.
I'd like to recommend a book as well, it's a diet free approach, called the Gabriel Method. It's about the mind-body connection and how your body might think being fat is good for you (the whole flight or fight thing and starvation is always around the corner way our bodies work, since they are made for a time where food was scares). It recommends visulisation exercises to help your body get on the same page as you.
Your initial question was on herbs - and I think those I'm familiar with have already been covered in previous replies. You might want to try some cleansing herbs (I think you're already looking for Dandelion) since some meds/toxic stuff might be stored in your fat cells (already covered in a previous reply aswell I think).
This reply was mostly to say, I'm rooting for you and I have a pretty good idea of what it's like!

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.

#54 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:51 AM

As a self-proclaimed lover of all things sweet, salty, and gloriously bloody, I wanted to mention that I have personally found weight loss salvation in Weight Watchers. I have dropped 25 lbs in three months with very little sacrifice on my part. Of course, it costs money to participate in the program, but it's healthy and above all, extremely easy. As long as I stay within my daily point allotment, I can eat what I want, when I want. No special meals. No chalky diet shakes. No beating myself up over the fact that I love steak and ice cream. I like me. I want me to be happy. This makes me happy, and I've dropped a pant's size. Whoot!

Jevne

#55 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:09 AM

Marabet, I really sympathise with you, since I had a similar experience. I put on almost 130 lbs due to medication (I was hospitalised and had no choice), it was really quick but the road back to normal weight has not been so quick! I lost about 40 lbs and I'm still working on the rest. I always led a fairly healthy lifestyle (healthy vegetarian foods, mostly organic) and it did feel unfair, having never had any weight issues. I pretty sure my hormones got all messed up from the meds - I lost my period for 2 years.
Anyway, I'm experimenting with living/raw foods. It seems to be working pretty well for me, slowly but it's working. Exercise, of course, it's pretty much a no brainer. We know it's helpful.
I'd like to recommend a book as well, it's a diet free approach, called the Gabriel Method. It's about the mind-body connection and how your body might think being fat is good for you (the whole flight or fight thing and starvation is always around the corner way our bodies work, since they are made for a time where food was scares). It recommends visulisation exercises to help your body get on the same page as you.
Your initial question was on herbs - and I think those I'm familiar with have already been covered in previous replies. You might want to try some cleansing herbs (I think you're already looking for Dandelion) since some meds/toxic stuff might be stored in your fat cells (already covered in a previous reply aswell I think).
This reply was mostly to say, I'm rooting for you and I have a pretty good idea of what it's like!

I cannot thank you enough for this post, Betula! It really made my day.

I have been thinking about raw and living foods. I have incorporated a lot of them into my diet. My kiddos love green smoothies and raw flax chips (both so easy to make). I am going to look into the Gabriel Method.

#56 Sylvan

Sylvan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:19 AM

I dug this thread up because as of about fifteen minutes ago, I joined Weight Watchers.

A quick summary: I was athletic and thin growing up, put on about 30-40 pounds in my mid-twenties (hello booze) and then got super skinny in my early thirties thanks to what I like to call the Nervous Breakdown Diet (shitty boyfriend plus high pressure job plus semi-poverty plus teeter totter of anxiety/depression = extreme weight loss). Then I got pregnant (by new, non-shitty boyfriend) and was forced to take good care of myself. During my whole pregnancy, the doctor acted like I was too skinny and by the last trimester, worried me about having a smaller than usual belly. So, I pigged the fuck out, all worried that my baby was going to be too small. He turned out to be totally normal sized (7 lbs) and hungry as hell. I had a C-section and pretty much laid on the couch for two months constantly breastfeeding and eating white doughnuts (okay, kind of an exaggeration but you get the gist). I have been more hungry while nursing this boy (who is a beast of a boy now, 99 percentile for height and weight) than I ever was while pregnant and guess what? I'm fat. I am about forty pounds over what my comfortable weight is. No clothes from before fit me so I schlep around like an old lady in sweat pants. I expect someone is going to ambush me with a television makeover at any moment.

So, today, I joined Weight Watchers Online. I think I just wanted to tell someone so I'm telling you guys. I don't mean to commandeer this thread, but I didn't think it was worth starting a new one.

As to anything witchy, I am not really looking for herbal help or anything. You all are way more advanced than me there. I am simply trying not to eat a whole bag of Doritos in a day.

Anyhow, the only way I am thinking magically in this situation is more for inner work and continued motivation. Thanks for hearing me out. :D

THE untold want, by life and land ne’er granted,
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.

Posted Image

#57 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:32 AM

Love Weight Watchers. Lost 42 lbs, so far.

Jevne

#58 Sylvan

Sylvan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:39 AM

Love Weight Watchers. Lost 42 lbs, so far.

Jevne

Oh wow! See, that inspires me. Way to go! :clap:

THE untold want, by life and land ne’er granted,
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.

Posted Image

#59 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

Not useless at all. In fact, that is one of the most interesting things I've read today.

Thanks,
Jevne

I'd have to agree.. I always wondered exactly how they stumbled onto cheese. I suppose it's kinda gross if you overthink it, but I love the stuff.

Regards losing weight.. always a bit of a volatile issue, there are as many different diets as there are people, almost.

I've had some success there though, so here are my tips. I think the best thing to do is stay away from too many starches, carbs, sugars, and especially alcohol. Don't cut carbs completely though, that's just plain unhealthy in the long run, but do keep them on the low side, and the protein level high. I've read of many studies now that suggest high protein/low carb food lifestyles (not mere crash diets) yield effective results.
My demon is the damn Mead. I love the stuff but there is so many calories in a bottle it's obscene. There is little good about alcohol, but at least beer and wine have some benefits. Distilled spirits have no nutritional benefits at all however, so I don't do them, period.

Some people can put on some extra weight, and because of their frame, it still looks natural.. me, I've got tiny bones.. at least, my hips/pelvis and wrists.. so even a little bit o' spare tire sticks out on me like crazy. Argh, I have so little grace area!
More than anything else, I keep it at bay with regular visits to the gym, which I'm always on here advocating.
I want to stress here that diet alone, and by diet I mean your eating lifestyle, is not likely to be enough, especially when you're older. You cannot lead a sedentary lifestyle and be thin. You MUST get active. The payoff is enormous, even from just a heart health perspective. I always get psyched around summertime because I can ride my bike and overall just "get physical", to quote Olivia Newton John. (oh god I just outdated myself)

Supplement wise.. while not for everyone -!!- I also use a supplement called Fastin, which has a compound known as PEA, as well as green tea and some other goodies. IMO, it's one of the best fat burners out there and I've tried quite a few. PEA is effective and relatively safe. There are some key ingredients I look for, and Fastin has them all. That said, I never take a full pill at once, it seems to be a bit too much on the heart., so no more than a half pill at a time, twice a day.
Also, look for CLA pills - Conjugated Lineolic Acid, it helps fat to break down. I'd swear by them too. You can find them at most drug store chains, with the rest of the vitamins.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#60 seacow

seacow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:14 AM

More than anything else, I keep it at bay with regular visits to the gym, which I'm always on here advocating.
I want to stress here that diet alone, and by diet I mean your eating lifestyle, is not likely to be enough, especially when you're older. You cannot lead a sedentary lifestyle and be thin. You MUST get active. The payoff is enormous, even from just a heart health perspective. I always get psyched around summertime because I can ride my bike and overall just "get physical", to quote Olivia Newton John. (oh god I just outdated myself)

Supplement wise.. while not for everyone -!!- I also use a supplement called Fastin, which has a compound known as PEA, as well as green tea and some other goodies. IMO, it's one of the best fat burners out there and I've tried quite a few. PEA is effective and relatively safe. There are some key ingredients I look for, and Fastin has them all. That said, I never take a full pill at once, it seems to be a bit too much on the heart., so no more than a half pill at a time, twice a day.
Also, look for CLA pills - Conjugated Lineolic Acid, it helps fat to break down. I'd swear by them too. You can find them at most drug store chains, with the rest of the vitamins.

Here here!
My father's a nutritionist and a personal trainer, he actually started his own gym a year back too. Growing up we always ate super healthy, and I exercised app 10 times a week (competitive swimmer). When I reached my teenage years I started secretly buying white bread to rebel (I know, I was BAD :D) and eating stuff I shouldn't. When I was about 16 my parents got divorced, right around the same time I started swimming less and less, later on completely dropping it. After he moved out our whole family's eating habbits changed a lot, we still ate well, but there were definitely more of the undesirables on the menu. Personally, I didn't really start gaining weight till I started working at a donut store, 40 pounds in 4 months. A few months after, I moved to London, and being in a completely new city made me loose all that weight in just 3 months, mainly just by walking EVERYWHERE even if I did eat a lot of junk. But then I moved back here and now, 4 years later, I've probably gained 40 to 50 pounds. Now while I know exactly what I need to do in order to loose it, I just can't seem to get myself to do it. I know for a fact that I should start eating more often and less on each meal, my biggest problem being portion control and eating only twice a day. Eating huge meals makes your blood sugar shoot way up really fast, and crashing it down even faster which makes you so tired for the rest of the day/till the next meal that you won't do anything or go anywhere. Also, I get SAD (seasonal affective disorder) in the winter here, and the winters are looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong. And when I've got that, I really can't get myself up to do anything. But I'm hopefull that now that summer's finally coming I'll be able to get out more and do stuff.

And I can't say for anything for Fastin, but usually weight loss pills only work with the right diet. And the problem with pills like Xenical is that while yes, the do help break the fat cells, you basically can't eat any fatty foods or you'll get oily farts, liquid poop and all sorts of other great side effects. There really isn't a way to magic this problem away, and everything comes with a price, some more severe (heart problems) than others (inconvenient farting etc).

All in all the best way is just to watch what you eat and exercise. And I would really watch what you eat, really go into those ingredient listings on packages and see how many additives they put in the food, really look at how much saturated fats the foods have and overall calorie amounts. Breakfasts are really important, and so is snacking in between meals, but the snacks really should be something like an apple instead of PB&J. That said if you do exercise well you CAN eat anything you want and as much of it as you want. One of the best things to do when you've got some extra weight is to swim, it's really easy on the joints and it's super efficient. Definitely can't go running unless you wan't knee surgery later on.

Now let's just hope I'll be able to actually take my own advice....