Photo
- - - - -

Help with Weight Loss

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#21 Honeythorn

Honeythorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:31 PM

Exactly? Who the hell thinks of stuff like that? " Oh well hang on.. I'll pour this milk into a bit of stomach... I reckon that'll taste great when it's gone sour and lumpy.. "

WTF?

Perhaps they put the milk in a stomach as a way of storage, forgot about it for some reason, remembered, found it had turned to what we would describe as a sort of cheese, and decided to taste it anyway and found it tasted pretty good....

I have a couple of reasonably plausible seeming ideas on how we started to cook meat instead of eating it raw.... :thinking:

But now I'm rambling WAY off topic :unsure:

Edited by Honeythorn, 31 October 2011 - 10:32 PM.

#22 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:53 PM

If she's consuming dairy ( butter, milk in smoothies ect ) she's a bit off with the paleo. We didn't start consuming or processing the milk of other species until we started up with agriculture. Hunter gatherers don't consume any dairy.

She and I have discussed this and she mentions it in one of her comments on the post I linked to. Very few people are 100% on any diet but there are those Paleo who are fine with dairy for a few different reasons. IIRC Mark's Daily Apple isn't as anti-dairy and she follows him a lot closer (http://www.marksdail...ry-intolerance/).

But that said I really don't buy that the Primal or Paleo diets are what we ate. I mean, we don't know not to mention it varied from region to region. Paleo is fairly anti-grain yet they are finding more evidence that our primal ancestors did eat grains, even ground them. I just don't think it has much historical credibility.

I don't like dairy because it doesn't sit well with me (I mean I *like* it. Hello cheese!) but I wouldn't say it's unnatural for humans to consume based on other animals. I am hard pressed to find any animal that eats like a human even when a human is eating an ideally unprocessed all natural diet. The human body is capable of not only surviving but thriving on many different types of foods which is awesome. But every individual body is different.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#23 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:54 PM

I often wonder when human beings decided to consume milk from other species... I mean... did someone look at a wild cow one day and think " I fancy having a pull at that teat actually... " O.o :thinking:

Mother necessity.

#24 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:55 PM

Whoot. In that case, perhaps you could try adding cayenne to your diet if its not already there. I use organic bulk cayenne, and I always make sure its at least 100,000 heat units. When I grew my own cayenne peppers they didn't come out as hot as I wanted, so I buy them, but the habenero's I can grow myself and they were still as hot as they're supposed to be.

Capsaicin (the property that makes it hot) thins the blood, and for me I find this gives me more energy. It also aids in digestion. Two things that tend to help with weight loss when you're already eating good food in proper portions. Since it does thin the blood, you'll want to avoid this if you're on blood thinners, or have some other medical condition that would be adversely affected by your blood being thinned.

At certain times of the year I puff up with an extra 10 or 15 pounds, it mostly all goes the the boobs and does make my back feel as if I'm carrying a baby around all day so I know what you mean!

Oohhhh. Thanks for the info, Aloe! Plus side of this as well- gonna need to drink more water. It'll make it way easier to get 8 glasses down ;)

#25 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:19 AM

From what your saying cheese could have been discovered through something like veal, eating a young animal that's been left hanging before butchering. They weren't always so fussy about removing the organs like we are now.

I'm also thinking of the animals that palealithic man hunted to extinction :P *There* is a gap in the diet!

If you're thinking capsicun is going to help you drink more water... good luck with that. It's an oil so drinking more water to cool off will just torment you, you'll need something starchy (rice and bread particularly) or sweet (sugar) or with a bit of fat in it to break it down (milk, yoghurt)

It's why in indian restaurants the waiters ALWAYS hover to top up your water if you're drinking it - it's hilarious :laugh:

#26 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

If you're thinking capsicun is going to help you drink more water... good luck with that. It's an oil so drinking more water to cool off will just torment you, you'll need something starchy (rice and bread particularly) or sweet (sugar) or with a bit of fat in it to break it down (milk, yoghurt)

It's why in indian restaurants the waiters ALWAYS hover to top up your water if you're drinking it - it's hilarious :laugh:

lol, I put habanero juice in my water and then drink a ton more water. Not to cool the affect though, to enhance it.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#27 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

My mother often gets confused for being Indian so if we go out together or if our neighbours were indian we'd get all the tips and information. Doesn't help she adores spices and indian food :blobfire: My stepfather and boyfriend however can just about handle a bit of black pepper seasoning - my partner has learnt to ask if something is spicy before snarfing it now at least.

I can't remember what he ate, it was quite a while ago, but on the label it even had "WORLDS SPICIEST" in red lettering and he had a nibble.

Two pints of milk later... his face is still red, tears streaming... he has another bit
"It's so spicy but it tastes so good!"

Fantastic.

You mentioned you did HIIT, do you do resistance training as well? Aerobic excersizes are best for removing fat around the organs, supposedly (I'm not actually able to use resistance training myself so can't go from what I've practiced here) resistance training is more effective removing the outer layers of fat, the skin layer of fat. You will get more muscular bulk though.

Guess it depends if you're after weight loss or inch loss primarily.

#28 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

My mother often gets confused for being Indian so if we go out together or if our neighbours were indian we'd get all the tips and information. Doesn't help she adores spices and indian food :blobfire: My stepfather and boyfriend however can just about handle a bit of black pepper seasoning - my partner has learnt to ask if something is spicy before snarfing it now at least.

I can't remember what he ate, it was quite a while ago, but on the label it even had "WORLDS SPICIEST" in red lettering and he had a nibble.

Two pints of milk later... his face is still red, tears streaming... he has another bit
"It's so spicy but it tastes so good!"

Oh no! lol! One time I'd harvested some of my habaneros and left them out on the table.. The were so bright and orange that Lil Miss saw them and assumed they were citrus and took a big bite out of one. Poor baby drank about a gallon of milk in between yelling "MY MOUF'S BLEEDING!"

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#29 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

I'm also thinking of the animals that palealithic man hunted to extinction :P *There* is a gap in the diet!

Not to mention Paleolithic man man didn't have steak every meal and more than likely only had access to rodents and insects most of the time.

Exactly. Not to quench it (the cayenne) but to get more water down.

#30 Honeythorn

Honeythorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

But that said I really don't buy that the Primal or Paleo diets are what we ate. I mean, we don't know not to mention it varied from region to region. Paleo is fairly anti-grain yet they are finding more evidence that our primal ancestors did eat grains, even ground them. I just don't think it has much historical credibility.

Er.. there's tons of historical evidence I'm afraid.

From the tools used, cut/hack marks on bones ( from clear butchery not decoration or ritual ), animal bones with clear signs of chewing and cutting found in caves known to have been human inhabited, spears, arrows and bows, not to mention all the cave painitngs of people using those very same tools to hunt and slice up animals.

The evidence is practically endless.

Paleo man, hunter gatherers, didn't consume grains at that time ( inedible raw ) , but the later stages of homo sapiens did as they evolved mentally, and discovered the use of grinding stones to prepare seeds and grains to remove husks to help further processing.

Like I say, there are still a few tribes left in the world who live a hunter gatherer lifestyle. Like the Hadza. This is a great article about them

http://ngm.nationalg...a/finkel-text/4

And I quote

Approximately one-quarter of all Hadza, including those in Onwas's camp, remain true hunter-gatherers. They have no crops, no livestock, no permanent shelters. They live just south of the same section of the valley in which some of the oldest fossil evidence of early humans has been found. Gene­tic testing indicates that they may represent one of the primary roots of the human family tree—perhaps more than 100,000 years old.

Not to mention Paleolithic man man didn't have steak every meal and more than likely only had access to rodents and insects most of the time.

No, not steak, but there was certainly more variety than rodents and insects. We didn't create spears and bows to poke rats and crickets. We used to eat wild horses for example, before we learned to tame and ride them. Even then we still ate them, and the mongolians still do both , they ride stallions and they breed from and eat mares.

Edited by Honeythorn, 01 November 2011 - 06:39 PM.

#31 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

Oh sure evidence of *some* of what they consumed but not nearly enough to build a modern diet around and say it's *exactly* like what our ancestors ate.

This blog post explains how the modern Paleo diet assertion that grains were not eaten has been disproven. It, of course, cites references. http://thespartandie...re-part-of.html

Now I have no beef with people opting out of grains. I have seen how this has helped some of my friends. I just hate it when people try to rewrite history or make statements that can't logically be backed. It leads too many people to believe that "this is the way it was so it's true/natural/good" which has the potential to be harmful. I am happy to see that a lot of Paleo enthusiasts have taken these new findings and changed their tune at very least, some opting to add some grains back into their diets. To be fair these findings are relatively new though there have been theories. This is another point I am trying to make, though- we don't know.

Of course to me another issue I have with the Paleo diet is that it is built on the idea that if that's what we consumed it must be the only "right" way to eat and I simply don't buy that logic. Paleolithic humans ate what they did primarily out of necessity that doesn't mean we can't broaden our horizons, so to speak. Those of us in western civilization now haven't suffered from grain consumption or modern agriculture. We've continued to thrive, in fact. It's the modern processed "fake" foods that have caused the rash of issues. So to say that the only "right" way to eat is how we did in the Paleo era falls short to me. This is where it becomes more about belief, a religion, than about science and health studies. Like the veg*n diet has for a lot of people with the whole "humans are naturally vegetarians" thing. It's an easy trap for us humans to fall into, unfortunately.

An evolutionary biologist touches on this in the NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.c...ews/20essa.html

How much of the diet during our idyllic hunter-gatherer past was meat, and what kind of plants and animals were used, varied widely in time and space. Inuits had different diets from Australian aboriginals or Neotropical forest dwellers. And we know little about the details of early family structure and other aspects of behavior. So the argument that we are “meant” to eat a certain proportion of meat, say, is highly questionable. Which of our human ancestors are we using as models?

I really love the term she references in the article "paleofantasies". So true and of more than just this. Modern witches even get this way about the way things were done hundreds of years ago. And then there is the whole "herstory" bent where Goddess worship and matriarchal societies are said to have been the norm. Z. Budapest really pushes this retelling of history as well as a lot of others in the Goddess spirituality movement yet it's not historically accurate.

A lot of people have had success on the Paleo diet but it's still hardly the human ideal. I don't think any diet plan is. As I have said it is all so individual. So can it be one's individual ideal? Certainly!

Just throwing this other post out there because I love it so much. His was the first I read that really touched on my own initial doubts about the diet: http://castlegrok.co...-ancestors-ate/ Plus he's funny.

#32 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:42 PM

No, not steak, but there was certainly more variety than rodents and insects. We didn't create spears and bows to poke rats and crickets. We used to eat wild horses for example, before we learned to tame and ride them. Even then we still ate them, and the mongolians still do both , they ride stallions and they breed from and eat mares.

More variety is still not equal to what the modern Paleo dieter eats or is a proponent of. And though it's nice that there are some people and tribes who still eat the way they once did they still simply do not speak for the rest of the world. Not all Paleolithic (wo)man ate the same. Region was a huge factor.

A lot of anecdotal evidence but nothing concrete. That's my problem with asserting it as fact. Now saying "this did wonders for me" is another thing entirely.

And holy roasted rodents, Batman! We have certainly gone off topic.

#33 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:48 PM

Few to no herbs will aid you in weight loss. There is a mass of pseudoscience claiming all sorts, none of which is proven to have any effect whatsoever. Many do aid in digestion though such as Fennel.

Green tea is one of the few to have avery very mild long term effect, and is better for you than black tea .

Never ever fall into the myth that you must have a slow metabolism due to weight gain ( unless you have been medically diagnosed with one ) The larger you are, the FASTER your metabolism is. Because your body has to work much harder to power itself around.

Things that will have an effect ( and they are not easy )

Increase your lean protien ( chicken, salmon lean steak, other lean fish, shellfish ect )

Increase Cardio. You don't have to do hours upon hours. 20 minutes of higher intensity than normal ( or HIIIT where you speed up and slow down then speed up again ect ) This doesn't have to be a weight bearing form like running, Cross trainiers and elliptical machines take a lot of the impact, and swimming is excellent for an all body workout . Very easy on the back as well if you have trouble there.

Do weight training ( avoid deadlifts due to your back ) . It will not make you huge, women ( I presume you are a woman ) do not have the required testosterone levels for starters . Muscle is a fat burning tissue that burns 9 times more calories than fat.

Make your portions smaller and eat 5-6 portions over the course of the day, reduce ( not remove ) starchy carbs like potatoes, white bread and white rice. Replace with fibrous carbs like Brocoli, green beans, asparagus and the like. Do that for 3-4 days a week, then on the 4th/5th day, treat yourself to a high carb and calorie food you really enjoy. This helps stop cravings because you KNOW you will be having it on that day without fail, and refeeds your body when it's depleted of glycogen.

It's not a fun plan but it works. I lost 4 stone ( 50lbs + ) in a year doing it.

It's not the most fun way to lose weight but it absolutely works .

This is the way to go about it.

Short of it is, Less calories in, and More calories burnt = weight loss. Working with weights has to be done with caution because it can damage joints if done with a weight too heavy for ones present physical condition

But on another note - Sudden and quick weight gain is seldom from gaining fat, but is rather from gaining water weight. Some medications put the electrolyte balance out of whack. Potassium levels in the body have to be enough (balanced with sodium) to loose water weight. A really good food rich in potassium is Bok Choy (steamed), and it has very little calories. It is quite good at reducing excess water weight.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

ETA - Testosterone burns fat (yes, females have testosterone too, not just as much as men). A good way to increase testosterone is to do a 30 sec high speed sprint (run), rest 90 seconds, do another, rest, do another ro a total of three. If running is not your thing, you can do high tension whole body muscle contraction the same way as above - but keep a chin lock (see yoga breathing) so too much blood does not rush to your head.

Edited by Autumn Moon, 02 November 2011 - 05:00 PM.

#34 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:18 AM

Oh no! lol! One time I'd harvested some of my habaneros and left them out on the table.. The were so bright and orange that Lil Miss saw them and assumed they were citrus and took a big bite out of one. Poor baby drank about a gallon of milk in between yelling "MY MOUF'S BLEEDING!"

Awww, poor baby! (Mouf....Lol, I can just hear her saying that.)

#35 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

I would also encourage those wanting to lose a few pounds here and there, to take a vitamin supplement as long as that doesn't interfere with any medications that one's professional M.D. has prescribed. I've had good success personally with taking B6 and B12, as I've found only in myself that I lacked energy, as I re-arranged my eating habits. Just a thought.:happy: I realize that it takes a bit of time, for the body to absorb a vitamin supplement to get any benefits, but my experiance showed beneficial results in 4 days, to feel energetic and not so lathargic while cutting calories and such. I also watch my sodium intake, that's helpful for anybody these days. So much salt in food, it's nutz !

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#36 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

The six week plan in the book Eat to live is pretty effective in weight loss, especially if you substitute extra lean dairy and meat for the beans. There is a yahoo group for the diet. link Just don't talk about substituting the dairy and meat for the beans as some of the people there are the easily offended type of vegan.

With weight gain that fast, some of it must be edema. Hot baths help sweat out edema. Hot black tea and hot water with lemon juice both fill you up and act as a diuretic.

I'm a little too good at the dieting thing :-(

Lots of non starchy vegetables, especially raw ones are really filling.

Boiled spinach with egg whites, a little fat free cheese and some salsa makes a yummy low carb/calorie breakfast.

Use fat free cottage cheese instead of salad dressing, on a big plate of raw greens, mushrooms, tomato and maybe a little cooked veggies.

There is a fat free kosher hot dog that are really low in calories. When I am craving condiments I eat a hot dog with mustard and dip green beans in ketchup. I dip my broccoli in cocktail sauce.

cauliflower is a good rice and potato substitute. I like it best with a little fat free cheese melted on it.

Make soup by boiling non starchy vegetables and throw in a can of low calorie soup to the boiled veggies.

Go easy on fake sweeteners, but sugar free jello with a little sweetened greek yogurt is a good treat. Also chai tea with milk and splenda. Low cal hot cocoa made with peppermint tea.

I've had a few rapid med caused weight gains and watched friends have them too. They can be scary. I hope the drug didn't make you too sick. Be safe and gentle with the weight loss. Your body has already been damaged and needs healing not more abuse.

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#37 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

I can certainly attest to Eat To Live. It's a great program. Difficult especially for those use to eating meat and other animal products but it does show amazing results.

The 6 week program is laid out here and that site also has great recipes- http://fatfreevegan....ve-6-week-plan/

I'm a member of that Yahoo group but don't post much at all. Some great info and some preachiness.

Edited by Maggie-in-the-Mead, 06 November 2011 - 10:34 PM.

#38 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:31 PM

If it is edema Maggie, roasted dandelion root tea is a good diuretic.

(as always, there could be side affects, interactions, blah blah blah don't blame me if it makes you dead etc. :pumpkin_rolleyes: )

#39 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:41 AM

\don't blame me if it makes you dead etc. :pumpkin_rolleyes: )

Whatevs! I'll totally haunt your ass.

#40 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:50 AM

Okay, good so you are familiar with the eat to live concepts. Reduce the beans which are starchy, and replace with small amounts of higher protein and lower calorie, dairy and extra lean meats. Use diabetic exchanges for serving sizes. I lean meat is 35 calories I think and 1/2 a dairy is 45 calories I think. Just add the dairy and meat exchanges to your salads instead of the beans.

According to Scott Cunningham smelling honeysuckle causes weight loss :-0 For whatever that is worth :-0

Sudden increases in food intakes, particularly carbs, cause refeeding syndrome and electrolyte imbalances. Edema is just one of the side effects. When I am very thin I can get a mild case of refeeding syndrome from just one restaurant meal if it is high in carbs. Last year I got refeeding syndrome every time my girlfriend took me to cheesecake factory. I gained at least 5 pounds of edema after the meal. It was SO frustrating to get sick from eating! It is very. very rare for me to binge, but I gained 9 pounds of edema after I ate a regular sized 1/2 gallon carton of ice cream with chocolate sauce and reeces pieces candies, spread out over an afternoon and evening. It even gave me palpitations and shortness of breath. It was scary. Right now I'm just a couple pounds underweight and I still have to be very careful not to increase my carbs suddenly. I am so very sensitive to electrolyte imbalances :-0

I have a friend that put on 50 pounds from a med, before they took her off. When I first fled my marriage I was in a homeless shelter and several women there had gained so much weight from their psyche meds that they had to sleep on breathing machines. Steroids can also cause crazy weight gain of both fat and edema. Unfortunately it is the only drug that works for out of control asthma. Chemotherapy is awful for weight gain too.

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.