Help with Weight Loss

thevioletsunflower

I have to be searching wrong because it seems this topic is everywhere but not here. Hmmm... So if I somehow missed a thread I apologize.

A bit of background- I was on some meds that made me gain over 20lbs (possibly closer to 30) in a matter of weeks. I have since gone off of them but they really did a number on my system. The weight gain has caused me some physical pain in my knees and back. Maybe it's because it came on so quickly but I can really tell the difference. It's like I woke up one morning with my toddler sitting on my shoulders.

What herbs and the like can aid in weight loss?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to be searching wrong because it seems this topic is everywhere but not here. Hmmm... So if I somehow missed a thread I apologize.

A bit of background- I was on some meds that made me gain over 20lbs (possibly closer to 30) in a matter of weeks. I have since gone off of them but they really did a number on my system. The weight gain has caused me some physical pain in my knees and back. Maybe it's because it came on so quickly but I can really tell the difference. It's like I woke up one morning with my toddler sitting on my shoulders.

What herbs and the like can aid in weight loss?

Green tea is good, and I have also heard that Oolong tea from China is very good for weight loss too.

Other things, ice cold water, and pepper (especially hot and spicy) are known for being metabolism boosters)

Few to no herbs will aid you in weight loss. There is a mass of pseudoscience claiming all sorts, none of which is proven to have any effect whatsoever. Many do aid in digestion though such as Fennel.

Green tea is one of the few to have avery very mild long term effect, and is better for you than black tea .

Never ever fall into the myth that you must have a slow metabolism due to weight gain ( unless you have been medically diagnosed with one ) The larger you are, the FASTER your metabolism is. Because your body has to work much harder to power itself around.

Things that will have an effect ( and they are not easy )

Increase your lean protien ( chicken, salmon lean steak, other lean fish, shellfish ect )

Increase Cardio. You don't have to do hours upon hours. 20 minutes of higher intensity than normal ( or HIIIT where you speed up and slow down then speed up again ect ) This doesn't have to be a weight bearing form like running, Cross trainiers and elliptical machines take a lot of the impact, and swimming is excellent for an all body workout . Very easy on the back as well if you have trouble there.

Do weight training ( avoid deadlifts due to your back ) . It will not make you huge, women ( I presume you are a woman ) do not have the required testosterone levels for starters . Muscle is a fat burning tissue that burns 9 times more calories than fat.

Make your portions smaller and eat 5-6 portions over the course of the day, reduce ( not remove ) starchy carbs like potatoes, white bread and white rice. Replace with fibrous carbs like Brocoli, green beans, asparagus and the like. Do that for 3-4 days a week, then on the 4th/5th day, treat yourself to a high carb and calorie food you really enjoy. This helps stop cravings because you KNOW you will be having it on that day without fail, and refeeds your body when it's depleted of glycogen.

It's not a fun plan but it works. I lost 4 stone ( 50lbs + ) in a year doing it.

It's not the most fun way to lose weight but it absolutely works .

It's not a fun plan but it works. I lost 4 stone ( 50lbs + ) in a year doing it.

It's not the most fun way to lose weight but it absolutely works .

Very nice, Honeythorn. No short cuts. Voting this up.

Jevne

Very nice, Honeythorn. No short cuts. Voting this up.

Jevne

Me too.

CG's thread in her link about psyllium is good too, because it does help you to feel fuller and curb hunger. When I feel like I need to cut back, I add some of the husk to a yogurt snack between lunch and dinner.

Never ever fall into the myth that you must have a slow metabolism due to weight gain ( unless you have been medically diagnosed with one ) The larger you are, the FASTER your metabolism is. Because your body has to work much harder to power itself around.

This is soo true and good to mention. People notice most of their weight loss when they are heaviest. Then when they start getting closer to their ideal weight. the weight loss starts slowing down. It is a crucial time that people learn not to get discouraged by this and go off the diet.

Sadly I have put some weight back on due to poor mental attitude and bad food choices :wallbash: . Back to it now though :thumbsup: . I'll be walking to work as well as back from now on (5 Miles each way ) plus the usual gym and classes. I have a ball to go to and I can't have flabbiness!

I really look forward to my high carb day . Something as simple as a bacon and egg sandwich tastes orgasmic *dribble* :munch:

Sadly I have put some weight back on due to poor mental attitude and bad food choices :wallbash: . Back to it now though :thumbsup: . I'll be walking to work as well as back from now on (5 Miles each way ) plus the usual gym and classes. I have a ball to go to and I can't have flabbiness!

I really look forward to my high carb day . Something as simple as a bacon and egg sandwich tastes orgasmic *dribble* :munch:

Haha I am rooting for ya! I bet many people will benefit so much by the advice you shared. :)

I knew I should have mentioned that I am a whole foods vegetarian who regulates portion size and works out daily (HIIT, yoga, and pilates mixture) as well as attempt to live an active lifestyle (I do have 5 kids ages 8 to 2 year old twins, after all). In other words, not looking for short cuts.

Medications that cause weight gain to a lot to the body. I was just wondering if herbs could help out not provide a fix.

Since we are off topic and onto diet and exercise I have to offer one of my vents on the subject LOL- I can't stress enough how individual we all are. I gain weight and feel awful when I eat meat and dairy. On the other hand I have a friend who is into the Primal/Paleo lifestyle who drinks, I kid you not, full fat smoothies which include a stick of butter in the morning and she is in the best health of her life. http://www.blossomandglow.com/?p=158

There are so many health and diet misconceptions out there and the biggest mistake is thinking one diet and size fits all. I also have another friend who did something very similar to my friend above and her health suffered. She thrives on a whole foods vegan diet. I have an "obese" friend who can run laps around me. It all is so relative.

The only thing that I think is universal and even then probably has some people somewhere who can't adhere to it is to eat real, natural food. If it says "low fat" chances are it is pretty processed. If it didn't grow directly from dirt or come from something with a mother you're better off not eating it 9 times out of 10. But, of course, use your discretion.

In other words don't take anyone's word for it. Find what works for you. It's a frustrating process but it's worth it in the end.

Since we are off topic and onto diet and exercise I have to offer one of my vents on the subject LOL- I can't stress enough how individual we all are. I gain weight and feel awful when I eat meat and dairy. On the other hand I have a friend who is into the Primal/Paleo lifestyle who drinks, I kid you not, full fat smoothies which include a stick of butter in the morning and she is in the best health of her life. http://www.blossomandglow.com/?p=158

There are so many health and diet misconceptions out there and the biggest mistake is thinking one diet and size fits all. I also have another friend who did something very similar to my friend above and her health suffered. She thrives on a whole foods vegan diet. I have an "obese" friend who can run laps around me. It all is so relative.

The only thing that I think is universal and even then probably has some people somewhere who can't adhere to it is to eat real, natural food. If it says "low fat" chances are it is pretty processed. If it didn't grow directly from dirt or come from something with a mother you're better off not eating it 9 times out of 10. But, of course, use your discretion.

In other words don't take anyone's word for it. Find what works for you. It's a frustrating process but it's worth it in the end.

Isn't that the truth!? What works for one person may be terrible for another. Never hurts to explore and see which is the best for whatever body type.

I can sympathise with medications causing weight gain. Can be equally difficult trying to get a medical professional to take you seriously about the matter as well - even more so if the side effect is listed as a rarer one. (Apparently if it's not common - you can't get it!)

From experience I can say it will be an up and down ride. Depending on the medications, some end up having residual chemicals stored up in the fat cells - this can include excess hormones produced that are still present in the fat. So as the fat burns away it can get released back into the system - weaker and shorter term, but can certainly make it interesting.

I don't know the exact mechanics behind it, and to be honest some of the easier to read versions come across as very off. If I hadn't had such weirdness in the past I would have brushed it off as utter nonsense, in truth.

looking up on google the name of your medication followed by "fat cells" should bring up if it does get fat stored but very few actually do. One of the side effects of the medication caught up on my system was dysphoria - the more weight I lost the more miserable I became! Was a very peculiar experience.

I knew I should have mentioned that I am a whole foods vegetarian who regulates portion size and works out daily (HIIT, yoga, and pilates mixture) as well as attempt to live an active lifestyle (I do have 5 kids ages 8 to 2 year old twins, after all). In other words, not looking for short cuts.

Medications that cause weight gain to a lot to the body. I was just wondering if herbs could help out not provide a fix.

Whoot. In that case, perhaps you could try adding cayenne to your diet if its not already there. I use organic bulk cayenne, and I always make sure its at least 100,000 heat units. When I grew my own cayenne peppers they didn't come out as hot as I wanted, so I buy them, but the habenero's I can grow myself and they were still as hot as they're supposed to be.

Capsaicin (the property that makes it hot) thins the blood, and for me I find this gives me more energy. It also aids in digestion. Two things that tend to help with weight loss when you're already eating good food in proper portions. Since it does thin the blood, you'll want to avoid this if you're on blood thinners, or have some other medical condition that would be adversely affected by your blood being thinned.

At certain times of the year I puff up with an extra 10 or 15 pounds, it mostly all goes the the boobs and does make my back feel as if I'm carrying a baby around all day so I know what you mean!

On the other hand I have a friend who is into the Primal/Paleo lifestyle who drinks, I kid you not, full fat smoothies which include a stick of butter in the morning and she is in the best health of her life. http://www.blossomandglow.com/?p=158

If she's consuming dairy ( butter, milk in smoothies ect ) she's a bit off with the paleo. We didn't start consuming or processing the milk of other species until we started up with agriculture. Hunter gatherers don't consume any dairy. Check out the Hadza tribe. Amazing lifestlye.

I'm trying to drastically reduce dairy from my own diet. It's just a basically unnatural food full stop. No other species deliberately drinks the milk of another species apart from us . A great number of people are actually very very mildly lactose intolerant ( often so mild many do not notice the subtle effects )

But since cutting down recently my cough which I have had for a while, seems better. Less mucous ( which I have read can be excaberated by dairy )

I make my morning smoothies with fruit juice in place of milk.

I often wonder when human beings decided to consume milk from other species... I mean... did someone look at a wild cow one day and think " I fancy having a pull at that teat actually... " O.o :thinking:

I often wonder when human beings decided to consume milk from other species... I mean... did someone look at a wild cow one day and think " I fancy having a pull at that teat actually... " O.o :thinking:

The mind boggles! roflhard.gif

LOL I know! Maybe I am wrong but I also heard that they use to make cheese by pouring milk into a cows stomach, if that was the case, I always wondered what possessed people to even start that up, not that I am ungrateful for cheese or anything...

Exactly? Who the hell thinks of stuff like that? " Oh well hang on.. I'll pour this milk into a bit of stomach... I reckon that'll taste great when it's gone sour and lumpy.. "

WTF?

Perhaps they put the milk in a stomach as a way of storage, forgot about it for some reason, remembered, found it had turned to what we would describe as a sort of cheese, and decided to taste it anyway and found it tasted pretty good....

I have a couple of reasonably plausible seeming ideas on how we started to cook meat instead of eating it raw.... :thinking:

But now I'm rambling WAY off topic :unsure:

If she's consuming dairy ( butter, milk in smoothies ect ) she's a bit off with the paleo. We didn't start consuming or processing the milk of other species until we started up with agriculture. Hunter gatherers don't consume any dairy.

She and I have discussed this and she mentions it in one of her comments on the post I linked to. Very few people are 100% on any diet but there are those Paleo who are fine with dairy for a few different reasons. IIRC Mark's Daily Apple isn't as anti-dairy and she follows him a lot closer (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-intolerance/).

But that said I really don't buy that the Primal or Paleo diets are what we ate. I mean, we don't know not to mention it varied from region to region. Paleo is fairly anti-grain yet they are finding more evidence that our primal ancestors did eat grains, even ground them. I just don't think it has much historical credibility.

I don't like dairy because it doesn't sit well with me (I mean I *like* it. Hello cheese!) but I wouldn't say it's unnatural for humans to consume based on other animals. I am hard pressed to find any animal that eats like a human even when a human is eating an ideally unprocessed all natural diet. The human body is capable of not only surviving but thriving on many different types of foods which is awesome. But every individual body is different.

Mother necessity.

Whoot. In that case, perhaps you could try adding cayenne to your diet if its not already there. I use organic bulk cayenne, and I always make sure its at least 100,000 heat units. When I grew my own cayenne peppers they didn't come out as hot as I wanted, so I buy them, but the habenero's I can grow myself and they were still as hot as they're supposed to be.

Capsaicin (the property that makes it hot) thins the blood, and for me I find this gives me more energy. It also aids in digestion. Two things that tend to help with weight loss when you're already eating good food in proper portions. Since it does thin the blood, you'll want to avoid this if you're on blood thinners, or have some other medical condition that would be adversely affected by your blood being thinned.

At certain times of the year I puff up with an extra 10 or 15 pounds, it mostly all goes the the boobs and does make my back feel as if I'm carrying a baby around all day so I know what you mean!

Oohhhh. Thanks for the info, Aloe! Plus side of this as well- gonna need to drink more water. It'll make it way easier to get 8 glasses down ;)

From what your saying cheese could have been discovered through something like veal, eating a young animal that's been left hanging before butchering. They weren't always so fussy about removing the organs like we are now.

I'm also thinking of the animals that palealithic man hunted to extinction :P *There* is a gap in the diet!

If you're thinking capsicun is going to help you drink more water... good luck with that. It's an oil so drinking more water to cool off will just torment you, you'll need something starchy (rice and bread particularly) or sweet (sugar) or with a bit of fat in it to break it down (milk, yoghurt)

It's why in indian restaurants the waiters ALWAYS hover to top up your water if you're drinking it - it's hilarious :laugh:

Archived