81 replies to this topic

#41 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

I respect those that earn a title in the mundane fashion as well as those that are of Witch. Yet I have to cock my head and ponder as in the spritual aspect of the Craft and those that hold a Path that pulls that nature into their workings. Being as animist as I am, could those people, put up that human Witch up on a pedestal in a lofty tower, that the Witch may not know how to come down from ?

I only say this from experiance, as when my dearest Mother in Law passed, her priest wanted to " send her away in catholic fashion " , and I said " no, just send one of those priests that are under you,"... he questioned me as to why, " I said, you believe Yourself to be her Shepard, but in actuality, from what I read of the scriptures, you missed the mark ". He, from what the parish wanted, was put up on a pedestal, and could not climb down, so he succumbed to it.

He sent another to appease me and honor her passing.

Ego should not play any part in the Craft, imho.

Regards,
Gypsy

Edited by CelticGypsy, 28 January 2013 - 03:57 AM.

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#42 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

Here you go Athena I found the link

http://voice-of-the-...itch-hunts.html

Thank you! Now why is it I can never get those to work even when I copy and paste them?

#43 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:21 AM

when you go to put the link in the post click the little icon that looks like a chainlink with a green + in a circle. its two icons toe the left of the tree. It will pull up another box for you to paste the link into, and then it will automatically make a clickable link for you in the post.
My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#44 StarryAmethyst

StarryAmethyst

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

As you can see from the following thread http://www.tradition...chcraft +trials , there is an ongoing debate about whether or not any of the people accused were actually Witches or just the victims of political, economic, or social revenge. Personally, I feel no extra affinity, beyond that of a regular, caring, human being, for those accused and/or executed. Chances are many were not Witches at all, but just the tragic victims of the social unrest of the times. This makes their deaths, horrifying and worth remembering, but being burned at the stake does not make an individual a Witch. Some lessons are still worth remember, though, so as not to repeat the same mistakes.

Also, if there happened to have been any real Witches' blood shed, that would be our ancestor's blood (maybe mine, maybe yours, maybe someone else's ancestor's) not our brother's and sister's. My brothers and sisters haven't been tried for Witchcraft. Well, at least not yet anyway. :wink:

I understand that but they still died for being a witch for the title itself whether or not it was true. there was still blood shed for our name.

Posted Image

“Just because I'm on a different path doesn't mean I'm lost.”
― ~unknown~

#45 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

I understand that but they still died for being a witch for the title itself whether or not it was true. there was still blood shed for our name.

I understand what you are saying. Thank you for responding.

#46 StarryAmethyst

StarryAmethyst

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

The Salem witch trials get so much attention understandably however there where lots of other witch trials but since they where just killing blacks, Mexicans and Indians they are often over looked in history books. ( sorry my sarcasm s showing ) please don't be offended I'm not at alll saying anyone here is guilty of this but its sadly a major issue in American history. Here's a really interesting link about other witch craft trials.

Voice of the Raven: The Last American Witch Hunts...
voice-of-the-raven.blogspot.com/.../last-american-witch-hunts.html

I don't know why this link isn't working that is the correct address if you want to read it you can google it. Sorry I hate it when I can't get these to work. Really though I'm thinking this shouldn't go here because that's not what this thread is about and I don't want to hijack it off topic so I will find the appropriate thread.

I have studied my heritage but no matter who died for the name or practise of Witchcraft it was still done that I may use the name and not be stoned or raped or any other random torture they decided would be best for me. I also carry a Black upside down triangle on my shoulder that was the symbol the nazi's gave gypsies in the concentration camps says under neither never again. I wear that to remind myself of the suffering my people went through so again I wear that label also. No matter who was accused of being a Witch and died for it, It was still blood shed that I can stand and say I am one. Like the triangle on my shoulder shows to me and very few people who actually know the symbol that I am Gypsy.

Posted Image

“Just because I'm on a different path doesn't mean I'm lost.”
― ~unknown~

#47 Aurelia

Aurelia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

Thank you! Now why is it I can never get those to work even when I copy and paste them?

Don't copy and paste them from another post (as I think that's what's happened here) because you end up with broken links due to missing segments replaced with "..." Instead, click on the links then copy and paste the actual URL from your address bar at the top of whatever page it opens up. Hope that helps! :)

#48 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

Speaking from a purely Craft perspective, as opposed to the mundane perspective, I have a personal aversion to any person who collects magical titles, listing their mass of levels and "degrees" from a variety of initiatory-type traditions, as if everyone should go "Ooooh" and "Ahhhh" and bow down to their awesome power. Unless the person is applying for the position of Grand High Master / Mistress of the Magical Universe, this type of arrogance comes from ego (as CG would say) and is, thus, relatively meaningless to most Witches.

If you have earned a title, of any kind, after dedication and thoughtful study, than I really can't argue with that, no matter how I or anyone else views the Path you are on. However, if you slam through magical traditions, like cheap, back-alley prostitutes, just so you can lay claim to as many fancy titles as humanly possible, I find that disturbing and just a little pathetic.

The above represents my personal opinions.

#49 Deminotus

Deminotus

Advanced Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

Titles can be very harmful when the wrong people are wielding them. Some people will use it as a power play and try to attract seekers to feed thier own egos. I have seen it in my community, and it can be unsettling. I respect people more if they show true intellligence and good old now how before they blurt out what tradition they follow. I honestly do respect people who have put forth the effort and have learned a tradition and have a sense of honor and respect from where they have come from. But a master blacksmith doesnt go around introducing himself as a master blacksmith. A talented and gifted artist does not go around introducing himself as such. Arrogance feeds the ego and the ego feeds arrogance, It can be a self destructive cycle.

To answer the op's question, No i dont introduce myself to others with a title. In some circles i have titles and names that i hold, but they are just for those poeples ears and no one elses.

all that glitters isn't gold

#50 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

I have always been allergic to titles, because I much prefer to be defined by my actions. If I were asked if I'm a witch, my response wouldn't be "Yes", but rather "I do practice witchcraft". I find most title-collecting to be irksome, because it often seems to be a "command and conquer" effort on behalf of the title-bearer to attain status, and not a passionate pursuit of developing oneself *regardless* of whether it attracts social attention/admiration.

#51 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

I have always been allergic to titles, because I much prefer to be defined by my actions. If I were asked if I'm a witch, my response wouldn't be "Yes", but rather "I do practice witchcraft". I find most title-collecting to be irksome, because it often seems to be a "command and conquer" effort on behalf of the title-bearer to attain status, and not a passionate pursuit of developing oneself *regardless* of whether it attracts social attention/admiration.

Personally, I am more likely to say yes when asked if I am a witch versus admitting I practice witchcraft because I see being a witch not as a title, but a defining description.  If I were to be asked if I was female I would say yes versus, "I can give birth and feed children." If I did neither of those things, I would still be female.  I see witch, female, human, brunette and American as things that attempt to describe me.  Things like Master Witch I see as a title as that gives some semblance of superiority over other witches. 

Also, to my thinking, I will allow people to judge my actions and what I do, but not what I am. 

Edited by Whiterose, 05 February 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#52 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

Personally, I am more likely to say yes when asked if I am a witch versus admitting I practice witchcraft because I see being a witch not as a title, but a defining description.  If I were to be asked if I was female I would say yes versus, "I can give birth and feed children." If I did neither of those things, I would still be female.  I see witch, female, human, brunette and American as things that attempt to describe me.  Things like Master Witch I see as a title as that gives some semblance of superiority over other witches. 

Also, to my thinking, I will allow people to judge my actions and what I do, but not what I am. 

Hmmm, perhaps my perspective on "title" versus "label" is a bit off, then.  I associate "label" with defining inherent aspects that I had no choice in (gender, born nationality, natural hair color, sexual preference).  To me, "title" has the connotation of having been earned.  I have possessed magical skill as far back as I can remember, and could perhaps have been described as "witch-y", but I don't believe I could be legitimately defined as a witch until I consciously chose to begin practicing and honing those skills.

#53 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Hmmm, perhaps my perspective on "title" versus "label" is a bit off, then.  I associate "label" with defining inherent aspects that I had no choice in (gender, born nationality, natural hair color, sexual preference).  To me, "title" has the connotation of having been earned.  I have possessed magical skill as far back as I can remember, and could perhaps have been described as "witch-y", but I don't believe I could be legitimately defined as a witch until I consciously chose to begin practicing and honing those skills.

In this I respectfully disagree.  But this goes back to the born witch or made witch debate. Both are valid, but in describing myself, I didn't consciously choose to be a witch.  I started to study metaphysical topics and witchcraft to understand what I was doing and what I was seeing and attempt to control myself.  For others it may be different and they may have a different perception of the word. *shrugs

#54 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

Just for shits and giggles.... http://www.quotev.co...our-pagan-name/ couldn't resist, sorry.

My name is INK BLOOD & I'm the the dark side of things....lol    :wasntme:  

To answer DeguWitchRose's question: One thing I like about Trad is that titles aren't part of it. Each Witch (old, young, new, not ) has his/her own gifts and path explore.

Titles aren't needed.

Edited by Nikki, 10 February 2014 - 06:18 AM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#55 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

My titles are usually given as *expletive deleted.*

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#56 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

..But this goes back to the born witch or made witch debate. Both are valid, but in describing myself, I didn't consciously choose to be a witch.  I started to study metaphysical topics and witchcraft to understand what I was doing and what I was seeing and attempt to control myself.  For others it may be different and they may have a different perception of the word. *shrugs

I can relate to this.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#57 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

In this I respectfully disagree.  But this goes back to the born witch or made witch debate. Both are valid, but in describing myself, I didn't consciously choose to be a witch.  I started to study metaphysical topics and witchcraft to understand what I was doing and what I was seeing and attempt to control myself.  For others it may be different and they may have a different perception of the word. *shrugs

I'm very supportive of the fact that witches... become... rather than necessarily being born a witch. However Whiterose makes an important distinction here between an individual who is drawn to practise the craft and ends up labelling what they do witchcraft and an individual who likes the idea of being "a witch" and decides to practise the craft. The first I can identify with and recognise in many of my peers who have posted similar experiences. The second I'm sceptical about - "witch" is merely a descriptor of actions. I'd question somebody who thought more of the title than the practises behind it.  

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#58 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:21 AM

I'm very supportive of the fact that witches... become... rather than necessarily being born a witch. However Whiterose makes an important distinction here between an individual who is drawn to practise the craft and ends up labelling what they do witchcraft and an individual who likes the idea of being "a witch" and decides to practise the craft. The first I can identify with and recognise in many of my peers who have posted similar experiences. The second I'm sceptical about - "witch" is merely a descriptor of actions. I'd question somebody who thought more of the title than the practises behind it.  

It always makes me laugh when I say "when I was young" because I'm still pretty young, so I just mean it to refer to my preteen and high school years.

When I was young, I was definitely attracted to the label of witch and I wanted to "be a witch", even though if you asked me I couldn't have given you a whole sentence on what I thought a witch was or did. I just understood that in a nebulous way, witches and their craft was something that I wanted. Today I understand what I was looking for and why the label of witch attracted me so much, but back then I definitely did not. So my journey of finding my path primarily consisted of the word "Witch" and me finding ways to turn that word in to a practice, which I wouldn't recommend. But as many things seem to turn out, I'm happy that I found my path the way I did.

If I met someone who liked the idea of being a witch and therefore wanted to practice witchcraft, I would consider what exactly they find to be so appealing about it. Sometimes 'witch' might just be an umbrella term people are using to describe something they have no other word for.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#59 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:43 AM

Tiles and labels have different meanings... You can give yourself a title. You can give yourself a label.

You can be born a Witch or become one. Tomato/TomAto. A Witch is a Witch. 

To me this is all pretty simple: A Witch is one who casts spells that work (no one's perfect, so I doubt any Witch has a perfect batting average)

But, if you can't cast a spell.. label or not...well, not a Witch.

(just a newb calling it the way I see it -- Do I need to duck?)

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#60 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

Those types of titles are not important to me.  I've been called a witch, but usually not as a compliment.

However, I do respond to certain titles like Mom, Mama, Sis, Honey or Sweetheart.  Those are my favorite titles and the ones I wear proudly!