• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 Scylla

Scylla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

There are titles I earned, I rarely use them - because the people to whom and for whom it would matter are already aware. But I don't grudge anyone their own choices, I just side-eye the hell out of them.

#22 Guest_atropa_*

Guest_atropa_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

c.1300, "inscription, heading," from O.Fr. title (12c.), and in part from O.E. titul, both from L. titulus "inscription, heading," of unknown origin. Meaning "name of a book, play, etc." first recorded mid-14c. The sense of "name showing a person's rank" is first attested 1580s.

If using the word 'title' as a noun then its earliest meaning is 'inscription or heading', but I think perhaps its use in this instance is from the later understanding of 'name showing a persons rank'

It all depends on whether the person using the 'title' is using it for the purpose of self ego or to advantage of the seat they sit in.

#23 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

I don't use a title and don't really see the point, I am earning the title of medicine woman for my tribe but that's a long road indeed and I still don't feel comfortable claiming it although I could. I also feel elders are a title although I don't address them as elder just with much respect. I don't really understand why you would take a title you didn't earn after all the point of a title is the respect its what titles are really about and you can't just take respect you must earn it.

#24 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Certain titles, such Dr., Sheriff, Judge, or their equivalents, carry somewhat universal prestige, but as Scylla and some others have pointed out, titles do not have meaning in all venues. Under the right circumstances, with the right audience, titles can carry some weight. I am more inclined to be dismissive of titles, than impressed, however, as actions speak louder than words.

#25 Aurelia

Aurelia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

I don't have a title, other than my more recently retained title of Mrs. and tend not to think too much of the long, elaborate, purporting titles.

I can, however, see how the use of some titles could be relevant in a larger group/coven where roles are delegated or worked towards. Perhaps more so if relgion was involved in ones craft? Priest, Vicar, etc are all titles and show that each person has a specific role to play. I would think much the same of titles in witchcraft, where each witch has a specific role to achieve through hard work and discipline, and a title for such duties - something like, Curser (who only works on curses). Although I have no idea if that's how covens/groups actually work. Or roles like Gardener being seen as more of a title, if herbs play a large role in that specific tradition. I don't know if any of that happens though, so this is just me musing, as I haven't had any encounters with covens or the like.

So for me, it's just me and no delegation needed, thus no title needed. Maybe we should give ourselves the title, "Doer of ALL the things"! :witchbroom: :thumbsup:

#26 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Maybe we should give ourselves the title, "Doer of ALL the things"! :witchbroom: :thumbsup:

"Chief Cook & Bottle Washer". Had that one for years!

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#27 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:18 AM

I think within a tradition titles might have some use when someone is introducing you to someone else. But outside of the tradition they've not much value unless one is the head honcho mouth piece for the trad. The one who outsiders might interface with erc.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#28 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

Certain titles, such Dr., Sheriff, Judge, or their equivalents, carry somewhat universal prestige, but as Scylla and some others have pointed out, titles do not have meaning in all venues. Under the right circumstances, with the right audience, titles can carry some weight. I am more inclined to be dismissive of titles, than impressed, however, as actions speak louder than words.

My Peer makes a honest observation, which sparks dialouge of my thought process here. I look at this small group she mentions, as those who have "joined" in ranks. Those that carry MD behind their name for instance although that individual has joined ranks of the Medical Field, they may operated in field of Expertise. IE: Surgeon compared to Pediatric Physician. Still are titled " Doctor ".

There are those titles in the Military also, that govern " actions speak louder than words ", now a days as compared to old, Generals are not directly physically involved in the arena, yet Privates up to higher titles are physically engaged.

In my own Path Seeking, the opportunity to " join " a group, never came to initiate that " group " setting. Titles in Craft in and of itself are foreign to me, because the sense of belonging is not there. When one "joins" in my thinking of this, then that sense of belonging is fostered. In my thinking related to the Craft, and trying to compare it to the body of this Post/Threads, that when one receives a Title, responsibility and accountability of living up to/having the mettle within, bears great on the one being Titled.

Personal power and control gives me eligibility, the entitlement to be invested in the Craft, without a label for it.

My thoughts only, as I do respect others viewpoints also.

Regards,
Gypsy

Edited by CelticGypsy, 27 December 2012 - 03:57 PM.

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#29 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

I suppose ultimately it comes down to whether or not a title is an earned recognition of one's knowledge, or if it is a grandiose, self-appointed ego feed.

M

#30 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

I don't use a title and don't really see the point, I am earning the title of medicine woman for my tribe but that's a long road indeed and I still don't feel comfortable claiming it although I could. I also feel elders are a title although I don't address them as elder just with much respect. I don't really understand why you would take a title you didn't earn after all the point of a title is the respect its what titles are really about and you can't just take respect you must earn it.

Dear Athena,

If you ever feel like expanding on the process of earning the title of medicine woman, in another thread perhaps, I would be interested. I am not well versed in Native American practices, and thought it would be an enlightening discussion on the tenets of another path.

#31 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

I suppose ultimately it comes down to whether or not a title is an earned recognition of one's knowledge, or if it is a grandiose, self-appointed ego feed.

M

If you could bestow a title upon yourself, say, for a week, what would it be? :vhappywitch:

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#32 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

Grandma, lol.

#33 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Goddess!

#34 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

If you could bestow a title upon yourself, say, for a week, what would it be?

In what I do, and this is more cultural/lifestyle/even religious than "witchy" per se, there is something called the "Hearth Mother." The person who works the hearth, the source of life and sustenance and balance and "quiet" leadership of the household/family (family not being necessarily "human" but all things living within the hearth/house/property and also extended family). My magic starts at the hearth, usually revolves around the needs of the hearth and those attached to it, and there is a specific (in my path) being who guides the hearth although there is a "human" hearth mother. A single-human household still has an "unseen" family and still needs a hearth-mother. Without that guiding hand of the hearth mother, the household and its inhabitants (human or otherwise) run about doing their own thing and the household and its energy do not run cohesively, become unbalanced, and do not revolve around the all-important central axis of the tradition. So that's my title, Hearth Mother.. but not just for a week, lol :-)

M

Edited by Michele, 20 January 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#35 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:35 AM

Dear Athena,

If you ever feel like expanding on the process of earning the title of medicine woman, in another thread perhaps, I would be interested. I am not well versed in Native American practices, and thought it would be an enlightening discussion on the tenets of another path.

I will , I need to think it out a little though because its not easy for me to write in away that would explain it correctly and not irritate my elders . I also need to figure out where to post it that it wouldn't just be available for public viewing. Not meaning no one can see it but something's I don't think I want out on there for just anyone.

#36 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:49 AM

I will , I need to think it out a little though because its not easy for me to write in away that would explain it correctly and not irritate my elders . I also need to figure out where to post it that it wouldn't just be available for public viewing. Not meaning no one can see it but something's I don't think I want out on there for just anyone.

I certainly understand; no problem.

#37 StarryAmethyst

StarryAmethyst

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

I hate title's if someone asks me I am a Witch I will proclaim that I believe to many of my sisters and brothers blood was shed for being a Witch not to claim it.

But I am so many other things as well I am still on my journey recently I believe I am being called to become ordained to be able to perform popper legitimate handfastings.
I believe if Witches choose to be married they should be able to be without having a clergy or justice of the peace but someone kindred do it.
I think it would mean much more to give that back to my community of family. Even though I am against marriage myself for me.

Posted Image

“Just because I'm on a different path doesn't mean I'm lost.”
― ~unknown~

#38 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:05 AM

I hate title's if someone asks me I am a Witch I will proclaim that I believe to many of my sisters and brothers blood was shed for being a Witch not to claim it.

As you can see from the following thread http://www.tradition...chcraft +trials , there is an ongoing debate about whether or not any of the people accused were actually Witches or just the victims of political, economic, or social revenge. Personally, I feel no extra affinity, beyond that of a regular, caring, human being, for those accused and/or executed. Chances are many were not Witches at all, but just the tragic victims of the social unrest of the times. This makes their deaths, horrifying and worth remembering, but being burned at the stake does not make an individual a Witch. Some lessons are still worth remember, though, so as not to repeat the same mistakes.

Also, if there happened to have been any real Witches' blood shed, that would be our ancestor's blood (maybe mine, maybe yours, maybe someone else's ancestor's) not our brother's and sister's. My brothers and sisters haven't been tried for Witchcraft. Well, at least not yet anyway. ;)

#39 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

The Salem witch trials get so much attention understandably however there where lots of other witch trials but since they where just killing blacks, Mexicans and Indians they are often over looked in history books. ( sorry my sarcasm s showing ) please don't be offended I'm not at alll saying anyone here is guilty of this but its sadly a major issue in American history. Here's a really interesting link about other witch craft trials.

Voice of the Raven: The Last American Witch Hunts...
voice-of-the-raven.blogspot.com/.../last-american-witch-hunts.html

I don't know why this link isn't working that is the correct address if you want to read it you can google it. Sorry I hate it when I can't get these to work. Really though I'm thinking this shouldn't go here because that's not what this thread is about and I don't want to hijack it off topic so I will find the appropriate thread.

Edited by Athena, 27 January 2013 - 08:52 PM.

#40 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Here you go Athena I found the link

http://voice-of-the-...itch-hunts.html

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery