81 replies to this topic

#1 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

I'm questioning one of my own beliefs here. I've always thought of titles as being rather Wiccan and that people who like to call themselves ""The Grand High Priestess of all that is Witchy...." are a bit pretentious. Especially when there is no obvious reason as to why a person has granted themselves a title except that they like the sound of it or its an excuse to big themselves up a bit. (Its similar in the world of BDSM when everybody claims the right to be a Master....irritating for those who have genuinely walked the path with experience and earned the title).

In honesty I don't think I could keep a straight face if I introduced myself with a title - the nearest I get is the Degu Witch (and to be fair, I am a witch and I do have degus....so I'm not making any false claims there!)

Having said that though I'd be interested to know if anyone disagrees and use a title themselves for a specific purpose. Obviously nobody on here is a Wiccan so do any of you ever feel the urge to use a title and if so (and only if you're happy to share of course) I'd be really intrigued to know what part it plays in your craft?

(I bet someone cleverer than me manages to find a previous thread on this but when I had a look the threads seemed to be more about magical names than actual titles and that's a whole different question.)

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#2 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

"Mistress high virgin priestess, hereditary ruler of the 29 coveens and elven princess of the multitudinous elf hordes." Bow down before me you scum...

Oh wait.. you asked for reality not my fantasies.....

LOL just plain old Tana is all I need.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#3 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

I'm questioning one of my own beliefs here. I've always thought of titles as being rather Wiccan and that people who like to call themselves ""The Grand High Priestess of all that is Witchy...." are a bit pretentious. Especially when there is no obvious reason as to why a person has granted themselves a title except that they like the sound of it or its an excuse to big themselves up a bit. (Its similar in the world of BDSM when everybody claims the right to be a Master....irritating for those who have genuinely walked the path with experience and earned the title).

In honesty I don't think I could keep a straight face if I introduced myself with a title - the nearest I get is the Degu Witch (and to be fair, I am a witch and I do have degus....so I'm not making any false claims there!)

Having said that though I'd be interested to know if anyone disagrees and use a title themselves for a specific purpose. Obviously nobody on here is a Wiccan so do any of you ever feel the urge to use a title and if so (and only if you're happy to share of course) I'd be really intrigued to know what part it plays in your craft?

(I bet someone cleverer than me manages to find a previous thread on this but when I had a look the threads seemed to be more about magical names than actual titles and that's a whole different question.)

With all due respect here DeguWitch, titles to me, for a Witch as you described are rather exorbitant. I'm all for those who are Witches that hold titles of "author" or "PHd", or "Journeymen" and the like, they have earned that title by shear work and determination in their life, and their life is as a Witch.

Titles bestowed on one's "self" in my thoughts are ego-driven, and can put the person titling themselves in a label box. Once in the box, can one be free ?

How you made that leap of BDSM and this pondering of yours, makes me chuckle. That is a lifestyle practiced by concentual adults. Those are labels, and not necessarilly

Master/Subordinate, Master/Slave, a Sub is very different from a Slave, from what I was told, it's their internal acceptance of that "label/title"... lol ! Gads what a topic this may end up becomming ! lolol !

Self title, let's just stay....... there.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#4 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Lol. Love the idea of a label box CG and no doubt it would be very restrictive to have a title. I didn't really think it would be "the thing" of anyone on here any more than it is my thing but its always interesting to hear other view points.

(The BDSM example arose from listening to so many of the old school "Masters" moan about the self styled wannabes who pick up a cane, deliver a few mistimed whacks and think they know all there is to know about dominating someone. It really does cause some frustrations on the scene when these types grant themselves a title that they are not perceived to have earned (I've spent many an evening in fet clubs listening to indignant complainers!) and I can see a parallel between that and some (though of course not all) of the self proclaimed "High Priestesses" and Grand High Lords out there practising magic. Maybe hiding behind a title gives some people confidence?

But yes, I've always been happy being rose. Can't see me being Grand High anything without giggling!

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#5 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

No title. I don't feel the need for one on my path. I am thinking on it, though, as I am curious as to how I feel about the relevance of titles in my own life/path. I don't think I feel they are relevant but I'm not sure yet. Got my mental wheels a turnin'!

(The BDSM example arose from listening to so many of the old school "Masters" moan about the self styled wannabes who pick up a cane, deliver a few mistimed whacks and think they know all there is to know about dominating someone. It really does cause some frustrations on the scene when these types grant themselves a title that they are not perceived to have earned (I've spent many an evening in fet clubs listening to indignant complainers!) and I can see a parallel between that and some (though of course not all) of the self proclaimed "High Priestesses" and Grand High Lords out there practising magic. Maybe hiding behind a title gives some people confidence?

"In BDSM, Master/slave or M/s is a relationship in which one individual (the submissive) gives to another (the dominant) ultimate authority over them. It is a form of dominance and submission." x A Master is a Master because s/he is viewed as such by a sub, because they have taken on the mantel of a master over a subordinate Simple as that. In a professional setting I could understand the hoopla but these old school indignant Masters are trying to be Grand Poobahs in their own right, methinks, not those taking on the title in their own relationships. They want to be regarded as super special higher-than-thous who did all the super special things to *earn* this super special title. *insert eye roll here* If that isn't like these folks floating around the internet trying to inflate their self-worth I don't know what is.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#6 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

"Mistress high virgin priestess, hereditary ruler of the 29 coveens and elven princess of the multitudinous elf hordes." Bow down before me you scum...

Oh wait.. you asked for reality not my fantasies.....

LOL just plain old Tana is all I need.

LOL Tana!

I agree with Tana, I'm good with the name I have.

Although...now I'm feeling inspired to shop around a bit, to see if I can purchase a copy of the mask that Angelica Houston wore in The Witches. How much fun I could have, at some new age festival, wandering around telling people, "Um, no, sorry but I am ze Grand High Vitch!!" haha

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#7 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

"Um, no, sorry but I am ze Grand High Vitch!!"

And what a good one you would make!

Me? I have initials after my name and I earned them but they don't come with any fancy title. I don't have a lot of use for titles of any kind. My name is good enough for me and should be good enough for anyone else.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#8 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

I have the right to the initials "M.Ed." after my name if I choose. I earned them, but I rarely use them outside of a professional capacity.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#9 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

I'm not into titles; however, there are some people I recognize as elders within a tradition and would address more formally than I would a peer and I wouldn't cuss my head off in front of them... kind of like with someone's grandma or grandpa... just plain old respect I feel they've earned. Whereas I wouldn't introduce them with a title of "elder", I would treat them as if they were one.

If someone had a role they filled that needed to be explained or pointed out at an introduction.... I've often introduced myself as "His Mother" lol.

M

Edited by Michele, 23 December 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#10 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

Nope, not big into titles here either. I have no experience of covens, but I imagine even in some traditional witchcraft ones, whoever is leading the meetings might take a title. It might be just for that session or it might be for longer, I wouldn't know.
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#11 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Got letters after my name but don't use them, don't use any titles either.
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#12 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

"Mistress high virgin priestess, . . .

That is more than a fantasy, Dear. That is a really big LIE . . . :D

Would vote this up, if I could.

#13 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

No, fancy titles here, especially in relation to my Path. Don't get me wrong. I can be pretty damn arrogant, but a pompous title would not make me feel more important or knowledgeable. It would make me feel like an fluffy idiot. I don't even like using the title of Professor, because I feel that in general one should earn respect with their actions. I believe I have commented before on my strong distaste for people who purchase titles, but slightly worse would be someone who bestowed a title upon themselves to win favor with some group or to put themselves "above" others. That is just fucking pathetic.

#14 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

Posted Image

Thank you Gramayr for bring this into such perspective !

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#15 DarqsAngel

DarqsAngel

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

I am still working on the title of Witch. That is more than enough for me in relation to my craft.

Your mileage may vary...

#16 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

I do have a title but this was earned through hard work which lead to initiation into a particular tradition however it is not something I use often although it is a mark of attainment to a degree I suppose, I wouldn't use it unless some one asked credentials or the like. Most of the time I just use my name, it was the one my mother chose for me and I like it. I will (when I get the info on it) also have titles or letters after my name on account of completing my Herbalism but other than that... I'm happy to be known as Stacey.

Titles that are earned I am happy with, if people have put in the hard work to get that title then I don't necessarily feel as though it is right to make fun of them. However if some one reads one daft Wicca book and then runs around calling themselves Lady Priestess Avalon Mystical Moon Raven, I would find that quite hard to swallow (seriously, some of the names and titles people come up with are just frickin hilarious).

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#17 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

Nope, I have no use for titles either.

(I had miss-typed that and put "I have no use for tities either".... :ohmy: :roflhard: )

Edited by Whiterose, 24 December 2012 - 01:58 AM.

#18 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

:rofl: So funny, WR! I have plenty use for tities, but none for titles. Education, doctorates are more than earned by hard work and I respect them very much. I know of no titles on my path and I'm not sure I could use one with a straight face, let alone pump my ego with one I self proclaimed. And I think we can all be arrogant, Jev, and some have more room to be than others, for sure, but again, self title? Ummm...No.

#19 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Nope, no use for titles here either-not relevant on my path.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#20 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

Hell yes, its ? Awwww sorry its to rude to post, heheeeee