• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

I didn't DO anything, but it is so comforting to me just to OBSERVE the never-ending cycles. Even when I'm too out of it to observe the moment a significant event took place, it's comforting to recognize that it HAS passes and to think about which one is next. And I make plans I never keep, but... doing that is comforting too, as long as I accept that there is nothing wrong in just letting the cycles carry me. The cycles don't need me to keep them turning. I can just hitch a ride, when I'm low. I try to just let it all soak into me, like water fills a dry sponge.
Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#22 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

I don't think anybody has to " do " anything, I just embrace the time of year, reflect on the past year events that took place that directly impacted my own life cycle.

Continueous cycle that is moving on with or without me. I don't know what the future holds in store for me, yet I surely can see how the past may have added a defining moment to my thought processess. Do I look at this moving on with dread or anticipation..... only I can make that choice, my Path still requires of me, a walking and practicing, and exploration, to the best of my physical and spiritual ability, day by day. Just my thoughts only.

Regards,
Gypsy

Edited by CelticGypsy, 23 December 2012 - 03:52 PM.

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#23 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

I celebrated with a good feast of roast lamb with family. Then my beloved son and I made talismans for the year ahead and our family ancestors came in to help.
We felt really happy at the end of our working. For the first time I included my Witches Ladder made by RavenFlyer in the spells and ritual and it was a big hit. Now relaxing for the rest of the festive season.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#24 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

As for what I did I laid in bed sick along with the rest of our family. What we had *planned* was a little fire in the backyard, a nice supper, and some crafts (fun for the kiddos, magical for me). I also had planned on tending a candle in the window all through the night. What a let down!
I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#25 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

my Path still requires of me, a walking and practicing, and exploration, to the best of my physical and spiritual ability, day by day.

I agree. Day by day, we "do" to the "best" of our ability. Over time I've developed a more gentle definition of "best". "Best" used to always include pain; now it seldom does. I'm usually enjoying "best" now. And "best" has more to do with ME, and less to do with what OTHERS want and expect.

I always end out "doing" more for Imbolc than Winter Solstice, but I can't say that Imbolc ends out being more significant, because of that. The events arrive rhythmically each year, and I often respond to them in the same rhythms, some more actively or passively than others. Now that I think about it, don't some traditions focus on the cross quarter days and NOT actively celebrate the solstices and equinoxes any more actively than a moon?

I don't know. Winter Solstice is a weird time, when defined by modern American expectations, by people of all paths. It arrives each year awash with expectations and memories, and people are exuding so much hope and pain. There is SO much going on around me, that it's hard for me to start ADDING even more things. Imbolc provides so much more room, and I can feel more then, when I don't have so much armor on. The cacophony quiets, and I FEEL the new year, down inside my very core.

Aliis volat propriis.

#26 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

I am such a "write to learn" person. I just figured out something in my card reading system, that I have been stuck on for awhile, dealing with activity levels at different times of the year. Analyzing MY activity level at the different times of the year, compared to the activity of the Earth and other people on it has been quite enlightening!

Thank you to everyone who made my participation in this thread possible!

Edited by JuniperBaby, 23 December 2012 - 05:47 PM.

Aliis volat propriis.

#27 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

.... And "best" has more to do with ME, and less to do with what OTHERS want and expect.

I always end out "doing" more for Imbolc than Winter Solstice, but I can't say that Imbolc ends out being more significant, because of that. The events arrive rhythmically each year, and I often respond to them in the same rhythms, some more actively or passively than others. Now that I think about it, don't some traditions focus on the cross quarter days and NOT actively celebrate the solstices and equinoxes any more actively than a moon?...

As to the importance of any specific holiday, I would say that it depends on whatever particular tradition a specific person follows. One thing I have learned from my path is that there are certain things that are expected of me. My path is less about me than it is about the bonds and relationships I maintain, and as such (and as in any relationship) certain things are expected from both sides. Would the sun stop rising and the Earth stop turning if didn't do these things? No, of course not. But my relationship with the things I claim as kindred would, I believe, suffer if I did not do certain things or if I took those relationships for granted.

M

#28 Guest_atropa_*

Guest_atropa_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

happy christmas eve, a bit weird I know but all my grandchildren are waiting for father christmas to come down the chimney. Me? Im waiting for 2013 to come so I can put away all the crap from this one. 2012 may not have brought any end of the world but its been one crap year from beginning to end, roll on 2013

#29 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

Happy Almost-Xmas-Eve (it's not yet midnight here, lol). Unusual post for you, but I like it... For me new year will be on the 25th, and the 24th will be a time to say my thank yous and leave out gifts in the hedge for the hedge-mothers. I hope 2013 is a better year for you... it is a new beginning, and hope is part of the season :-)

M

#30 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:41 AM

As to the importance of any specific holiday, I would say that it depends on whatever particular tradition a specific person follows. One thing I have learned from my path is that there are certain things that are expected of me. My path is less about me than it is about the bonds and relationships I maintain, and as such (and as in any relationship) certain things are expected from both sides. Would the sun stop rising and the Earth stop turning if didn't do these things? No, of course not. But my relationship with the things I claim as kindred would, I believe, suffer if I did not do certain things or if I took those relationships for granted.

M

Interesting. I don't have any significant bonds and relationships with kindred that have yule expectations--at least not yet.

I find "traditional" to be so interesting, because traditions are so different from person to person, family to family, and culture to culture.

As always, after I think on what you say for awhile, it...awakens questions, questions that unfold over months to come. I'm already starting to have a few questions. Hmm. Thanks for sharing. This has been a thought provoking thread for me.

Aliis volat propriis.

#31 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

My solstice was rather quiet. I am the only one in the family that celebrates solstice, but my husband was kind enough to "get into it" with me (the kids were at grandmas). I made some good food and dessert, we had a small outside fire and I put some wishes in it-it was nice. The family does celebrate x-mas, although the kids are older now, so no belief in Santa (miss those days actually-kids grow up so fast).

Ready for 2013 to kick off next week!

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#32 Sarafina

Sarafina

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

I did not do anything really. Have a lot of junk going on. I did get a spurt of energy on the 23rd and cleaned, rearranged, and moved beds. I hope everyone had a great Yule and has a wonderful 2013. I hope my luck changes for 2013.

#33 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

I am exhausted between the Yuletide, solstice and Christmas celebrations duties and rituals I just want to hibernate for a week. My husband and I agreed many moons ago to celebrate each of our beliefs equally so our children could bennifit from learning about both of them. Which is great but the amount of perpetration cleaning and cleansing involved is crazy. My husbands family thinks I'm a bit nuts but its the time of year that I just ignore it.

I thought I would share one of the we things I did this year that I found fulfilling and kind of fun.

Each year I hand out Christmas crackers to our Christmas Eve guests for those who are unfamiliar with these they are small gifts that when you pull the ends they crack apart and have a small gift inside like a pen or necklace plus a paper hat and jokes. So this year I attached some holly to each end with a bit of wire before handing them out then after each person was through I asked for the holly back and attached it to my evergreen wreath which is currently hanging on my front door. Because of the way I attached the wire it scratched them a bit while they where pulling them apart. So now I have a bit of each one of them the idea at the time was a spell to make the night one of bonding and coming together which worked out great for once there wasn't a Christmas fight. Anyway I have decided I shouldn't just toss the wreath away now but I'm unsure what I want to do with it or if I should just snip off the important bits. Ahhh dilemmas I'm thinking I will lip lock bag and label them but well I'm just not sure lol.

#34 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:06 AM

Bumping to wish everyone in the Northern hemisphere a Merry Solstice. Personally, the period between Solstice and Imbolc is my favorite time of year. Out with the old, in with the new. 

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#35 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:18 AM

Today it didn't feel like the solstice.  I just left the land of ice and snow and today it was about 60 degrees. Green grass for the solstice...so weird. I am all kinds of off.

Spent the day shopping and wrapping gifts. We will do some other celebrations in a few days or so when the in laws are gone. 

Happy Solstice everyone!

#36 Faith

Faith

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

I celebrated with a bath (pine/rosemary oil and handcrafted soap) to cast away the old year, then lit bayberry incense and red candle in the evening that burned to morning.  Prayers and asked blessings of my ancestors, home protection spell, and set intentions for the new year.

#37 CrazyBeaver

CrazyBeaver

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:19 AM

I enjoyed the day, little rituals, although I have not celebrated "Winter Solstice" as such in the past ( except the last few years) I always welcomed the coming and going of the seasons. This Solstice was welcomed in with a cold day and heavy blanket of snow. I baked with the kids, made and lit my ice candles, and enjoyed the day. :)

#38 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:17 AM

Bump...

How does everyone celebrate the season? :)

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#39 Brujeria

Brujeria

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:00 AM

Happy Midwinter/Winter Solstice!

I celebrated with a renewing of my pact with the spirits of the dead. I also concentrated on letting the past go and looking forward to a brighter future.

:D

#40 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:36 AM

Happy Midwinter everyone! I'm saving most of my celebrations for Christmas Eve, since I'm living with my Christian parents until I find a job that pays enough to cover gas, rent, groceries, and student loans, and it just seems fitting. Also I got scheduled to work Christmas Day, and I know I'm going to be too tired afterwards for anything significant. I'm having a fire tonight that will disperse some of the energy from my Halloween workings, I'm going to offer some of the chestnuts my family is going to be roasting to anything that might want to come and peacefully enjoy my fire, and I'm going to work some magic through music to bring my year to an end and ask for fortune, peace, and success for myself and my loved ones and the things we care about in the year to come.