So many questions, but are there answers? I am new to these forms here and I am not trying to make any bold claims. I don't know where I went or what I did but what I do know is I will never forget, that is, for the reminder will forever be permanent on my arm, as two long white scars. I want to begin by asking you these questions. Can one travel to the spirit world on accident by simply sleeping? Does the travel to this world start as someplace you know very well? And can the travel itself leave scars?. The reason for my asking these questions will be clear with the retelling of what I thought to be a dream this past Friday night what my experience the next morning. Let me begin by saying I have never attempted to travel to the spirit world. I have never felt ready to do so and I am not claiming to have done so. I am here to share my story and hopefully get a lead on what happened to me.

Like any other Friday night I laid my head down around 10:30. The next thing I can remember is being at my grandmothers house. This is a place I have spent many years of my life so the dream was pleasant in the beginning. I spent several minutes speaking with my family and enjoying my time in this loving place. That is, until my father showed up. Although I love my father we have recently been fighting. So after we began to yell I decided my only option was to retreat to the field in the back yard. So as I am running towards the fence gate I remember yelling something,but I do not remember what it was I was saying. Once I reached the gate things began to change. Once through the gate I was careless in my anger and passed my arm through a bramble that had never been there before. At the time this seemed meaningless as it was just a few cuts that only bled a small amount. Once I stepped foot into the field it was no longer a field. Instead I stood on the beach of a lake in a large mountain valley. In fear of the sudden change I turned around to see a cliff, and far below in between clouds I saw my grandmothers yard. Now I could end the story here and have the reason for all my questions be clear but there is more to come

Once I was over the shock of the sudden change in landscape I pulled myself together and began to take-in my surroundings. I was a beautiful with a beach leading up to the brim of the cliff behind me, as if i was on the edge of the world. Now if this all it had ended here I would have been convinced I did visit another world. But from what I have always believed, the spirit world was free of war but what do i know? . I say this because as I took in my surroundings I saw somebody. As I got closer it began to run at me, once it was close enough I saw it was a skeleton, and it continued to run at me with a now visible weapon. "what do I do now" i though to myself. Looking around for protection I see, next to a halfway submerged rock, a dagger and some sort of metal billy club. I proceeded to pick-up the club and throw it at the skeleton successfully knocking him down. Soon after I find myself in a battle between men and skeleton. I defended myself as best as I could and sometime during this battle I awoke.

It had to be a dream right? Well I though so, so I went back to sleep with no more memorable dreams thinking less of it then I should have. The next morning I followed my normal routine I took off my sweater and headed to the bathroom to brush my teeth. That is when I noticed two bright white scars on my forearm. Now mind you these scars are in a very noticeable place not somewhere you rarely see. These were new but looked as if they had just finished healing. Then I remembered the bramble that I ran my arm through after passing through the gate in my grandmothers backyard.

What had I done? Where did I go. Was it just a dream or did I travel somewhere. This leaves me here. Having told my story what do you think? If you managed to get through all of that you must have some opinion. Has anything like this happened to anyone here? As intense as the battle was I am longing to return for the shear beauty of the land.

Thank your for hearing me out and I hope you all have a great day,

Bryan

My understanding is that yes, one can be pulled through the hedge at any time, sleeping or waking. My other understanding is that it isn't always neatly convenient (i.e. pulled through after bed-time and then neatly deposited back in body prior to having to get up for work or school). The otherworld as I understand it doesn't have time like we do, or jobs, or school, or the same social responsibilities. It won't take our schedule into consideration. I do, personally, believe that the part of the soul that travels can leave during sleep (or at any other time), and I do believe that one can die in the otherworld and/or get scars. And that the death and/or scars could translate into this world.

I also would ask why you were surprised by the fighting? Why would the otherworld not have fighting? It isn't "heaven" and love and white-light and happiness and gold-paved streets... it's a reality, like any other reality ;-)

Other than that, I can't opine as to whether or not you actually "traveled." It was your experience and you'll have to decide that.

M

From my experience, yes you can travel during sleep. Other world(s) are not all always peaceful, there is some nasty stuff you can run in to. Yes physical things that happen int he other world can translate in to the real world. I once woke up with a faint hand print on my arm after a very significant experience. Also, when reading about your fight with your dad and your fleeing to the other world for protection, it occurred to me that you may have given blood payment to the bramble so that you could enter and escape your father, which tells me that you some how brought yourself to that gate, no one pulled you in. Could also be why you were battling with "skeletons" as you probably were not supposed to be there. Just my thoughts.

From my experience, yes you can travel during sleep. Other world(s) are not all always peaceful, there is some nasty stuff you can run in to. Yes physical things that happen int he other world can translate in to the real world. I once woke up with a faint hand print on my arm after a very significant experience.

I give a nod to this, as this kind of traveling doesn't necessarilly have to be in a sleep realm. There are physical awaking places that a Witch may enter by will or even accidently stumble on, and they are vortex's or portals, places of fluctuating power presenses. We've all had experiances when out in nature, that the very air where we may stand, is tangibly different, " other worldly ". For myself, when I've encountered such, it stills my being.

Regards,

Gypsy

The experiences in the OP are not, in and of themselves, all that strange, regardless if true traveling was taking place or not. Partially healed wounds is puzzling, though.

Fresh wounds of limited degree, I have experienced, though those situations have been few and far between. It has not, however, been simply from the environment, as was described in the OP.

On another note, the otherworldy entities that I interact with seem to have better things to do, then hurt me, which I appreciate. :) In those rare times, when we have direct (i.e. physical) contact, it is often an expression of their intense need to communicate. Any "nasties" tend to leave me alone. I can sense them, but they keep their distance for the most part, for whatever reason.

Guest Sage Stonepath

you've been fighting with your father recently. you wanted an escape. a loving place you felt protected, your grandmothers. he showed up. you ran off. getting caught in brambles that weren't there before...brambles can be a symbol for confusion. you wanted to rise above the situation, a mountain. beaches are symbols of two worlds meeting..its a give and take. you battled your skeletons and woke up with scars. i think the scars are what you really are focusing on...first, do you have a pet? if so, could they have scratched you? do the spacings match your own nails? if the mundane can be ruled out then you were given the answer to why you ran in the first place.

face your skeletons. confront your father. after all a scar is a wound that you got over.

I find it very interesting that you came back with scars...

I've had burns that took 2 months to heal, scratches that took six. Maybe that is significant, somehow. Perhaps this was meant as a gentle lesson.

Brambles, if they were true brambles. have also been used by some people to clear travel paths of things that shouldn't be there...

M

This has been a very interesting thread to read. I've been pondering different thoughts in reference to your questions and the other responses. Have you noticed any spirits around you lately? Are you in a new place? Any other significant changes recently? Did you cast any kind of spell recently, or invoke anything?

I don't know, I just wonder if the dream didn't just happen "out of the blue" or randomly, but that instead, it was prompted by something else.

• 1 year later...

I'd like to give this a Bump, the OP'ster has not come back to the Forum in quite awhile, yet the discussion generated was rather insightful.  I'm in a pause of thought to what

Michele offers :

My understanding is that yes, one can be pulled through the hedge at any time, sleeping or waking.

I can grasp that while " asleep " one can be vulnerable to this theory, but whilst awake and cognizant unless there is a tangible feeling or emotions have changed to warrant an " OtherWorldly " pull inside a unseen realm or space. 

WhiteRose offers :

which tells me that you some how brought yourself to that gate, no one pulled you in. 

This statement offers that the person that desires to cross brings themselves to a gate or realm of space that tangibly is a place that shows ' it's ' difference by emotional feeling or even physical feeling, the " air " has changed, or energized.  I'm pondering as to being cognizant of both types, sleep and knowing you are traveling as well as " finding the gate " while awake.

Any Thoughts ?

Regards,

Gypsy

For me there is a point that i have gone beyond and i can most times chose to continue or not What I mean is ie.. im in a strange place/landscape. I meet a relative/friend we walk talk then my senses change within that dream. I get to a crossing /road/gate/doorway/ they are on opposite side. Let say a road my side normal theirs not. That type of thing if that makes sense but im old and have been doing this for a long time so i can do this/sense the point of crossing. Yes indeed The air has changed .I like that.

Just wanted to add that I do also fall into a lake,drown in the sea walk into a secret door of a tree. Lol so many odd place that have a threshold. Scars.. no not really a few little wound but very rarely.

. . .  That type of thing if that makes sense but im old and have been doing this for a long time so i can do this/sense the point of crossing. Yes indeed The air has changed .I like that.

Well, I am only kinda old, but this is not something that I really think that much about.  No covert symbolism to analyze or evaluate; just knowing based on feeling and sensation.  Perception of the change is evident, but not always easy to describe.

​Thank you Ladies for your thoughts / experiences shared.  Is it safe for me to surmise that whilst you both have encountered these tangible thresholds or otherworldly arena's, that you were awake and fully aware in your person.   Not sleeping and become aware that you may be traveling, but aware due to the surrounding and the change in air pressure or emotional feelings... 

Regards,

Gypsy

Archived