I just finished reading the paper back edition of The Leaper Between An Historical Study of the Toad Bone Amulet: Its forms, functions and praxis In popular magic by Andrew D. Chumbley. There are two other editions, the deluxe hardcover and the special hardcover, but to be honest this is the one I could afford. I really enjoyed the short read. The book is only 66 pages including the bibliography, index and title page. Basically, the book discusses the toad bone rite, it's performance, it's purposes and other information related to the toad and it's being used and mentioned in older works such as Pliny. Chumbley also recounts information from other sources such as George E. Evans, author of the Pattern under the Plough and the Crooked Scythe. I think this small book is worth the read, especially if you are interested in the Toad Bone rite. It is available from Three Hands press. At this time the only edition available is the trade paperbound. I have heard that this is also available in other places, but I prefer to buy the book.

I first read this piece as an article many years ago, and loved it. Having also been present at a special Xoanon exhibition this past September, I had the chance to see artifacts, early notations, etc. surrounding each book thus put out by Xoanon - one of which being O.N.E.: Grimiore of the Golden Toad. I have to say, seeing one of the three initiatic copies with toad-skin binding and also seeing Chumbley's Qayin Azhaka rosarie (being in and of itself the rite of ONE) it really pulled many pieces together. If elements of this historic ritual appeal to you - I say buy it.

This one is going on order the moment my next pay stub is in - personal interest in the rite and all. I've read the original article, and have had the pleasure of browsing through "One". IMO, Ford's rendition lacks a lot, and am looking forward to seeing more from Chumbley's perspective.